The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best in-person instructors in the US or Canada (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Lots of magicians write books, give lectures or make videos. But sometimes in-person instruction is best. If you could travel anywhere in the US or Canada to receive in-person lessons either one-on-one or in a small group, who would it be from? Are they good for beginners, more advanced magicians, or both?

Please keep it to someone who is known for offering lessons (rather than a magician you admire but has no history of offering this kind of instruction). Maybe we can compile a directory of respected teachers of the art from around the country for those that want to learn directly from an instructor.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
I can't give you anyone in or around Virginia. Sorry. But here are some incredibly good options around the country.

The obvious and probably No. 1 teacher in the nation is Jeff McBride, either for private in-person lessons, Skype sessions, or his Magic & Mystery School. Great for all levels. Pros have called his teaching "life changing."

Next, I'd recommend Magic University at the Magic Castle in Hollywood. Some excellent instructors there for beginning to intermediate magicians.

Our own Pop Haydn is a fantastic teacher. He gives private lessons in Los Angeles. Probably not for the raw beginner, but wonderful for someone who has a basic foundation in magic.

Joshua Jay takes on students in New York. Again, not for the raw beginner.

If you want to learn classical magic and stage manipulation you can't do better than Dale Salwak at the Chavez Studio in California, or from Larry Wirtz in Indiana who teaches the same curriculum.

Other wonderful instructors I know or with whom I have studied include my dear friend Greg Wilson (son of Mark Wilson, not Gregory Wilson), Bob Sheets, John Carne, Steve Valentine, and John Lovick (aka Handsome Jack), all of whom are on the left coast.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
I've done McBride. It was not my cup of tea. I did Magic University back when Dave Thorsen taught. An amazing experience.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Thorsen is not an option for the OP any longer, unfortunately. Neither is my former mentor, Eugene Burger, or I would have recommended him, too.

Mark Wilson is still around, but not teaching at the moment.

Kayla Drescher is a great teacher for new to intermediate magicians.

Beyond that, it depends on what you want to learn. I might not study with Rob Zabrecky if I wanted to learn a lot of finger-flinging sleights, but he's a go-to guy for performance, character, and showmanship. I didn't like David Roth personally, but lots of folks swear by him for coin magic. Hannibal is a fantastic teacher for would-be card monkeys.

There are lots of good ones out there. Evil Clown might not have liked McBride, but almost everyone else does (if you can get past the hippie-dippy part of it). If you want tons of content, Jeff is your guy. For instance, I spent one day with him and came away with a full close-up show, full parlor show, and full stage show. His knowledge is encyclopedic.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I've been told that my teaching of all those impromptu card "miracles" on my 4-vol. "Best Ever" DVD set is some of the best teaching those people have had. Their recommendations, not mine. Just thought I'd mention it.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
In all candor, it was the hippy-dippy thing I found off-putting. Also the class seemed very disorganized and fly by the seat of the pants. A few other issues too. Respect the work and the vision. Just wasn't a great fit for me.

Is Thorsen around any more? He certainly would be of an advanced age.

Personally I would like to work with someone who does well at both intermediate and beginner levels. On some aspects of magic, I am probably past the beginner stage but want to learn more. On others, I am a rank beginner. Although I am a member of the Castle, given where I live, I cannot do Magic University these days without spending a lot of money. I am not looking to be a paid performer. Just a competent hobbyist who wouldn't be embarrassed if I sat down at a green felt table in the Castle when I do get to town.

I always thought Salwak's program was geared more to stage versus close-up and was more full-time.
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Mr. Lorayne:

I have learned a ton from your books and videos--I have most of them and the ones I don't are no longer in print. Sometimes you just want someone to work with you directly to have questions answered, check form, etc. Total respect for your work as an instructor, sir.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
No argument from me. Just wanted to state what many have told me.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
EvilClown, I sent you a PM.
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Thank you, Danaruns. Very helpful. I responded.
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
This thread is very informative. I hope it gets many posts. I too am in the same boat as Evil Clown. I have a yearning to learn sleight of hand, non gimmick, coin magic. I have studied every DVD and book I can get my hands on. I have made progress in the last two years, but not as much as I would like. I am convinced that the only way to get proficient is to have a teacher. I live in Northeastern PA, in the Poconos. I think I would need to go to NYc, which is about three hours away. The fact that I'M caring for my father, who has Alzheimer's, really limits what I can do. I have to stay close to home. It's definitely a quandary.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best in-person instructors in the US or Canada (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL