The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Painting props (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
I am currently constructing a mirror box and square/circle from MDF (kind of like chip-board, but made from much finer grains of wood an is a little more sturdy).

Could anyone tell me - does MDF need a primer coat or can I put gloss paint straight on to the naked surface?

Thanks guys, any tips would help immensely!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20863 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
For the best final finish you should always use a primer. Use the primer by the name of 'Bin', compatible with all types of paint. Remember 3 coats primer with sanding between coats and 6 coats paint with sanding between coats.

Have fun, you are at the most important part of making a trick.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
clubber89
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of clubber89
Um, I'm sorry wmhegbli, but I just built the base for my trick and I did 1 coat of primer, and 2 coats of paint, and it looks pretty *** good, so "write2david," a total of 9 coats is a bit over exaggerated!

thx
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Try out this link. It is a series of articles on painting by Chance Wolf. It should answer all your questions.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......6&22

ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
I agree, Chance's tips are great!

One thing to add though, PATIENCE is your only enemy while finishing a new prop. Although you may be anxious to use your new trick, most likely the finish you have will be the one you will live with, so make it good. Just make sure you wait for all paint and undercoater to dry completely between coats, be patient before removing any stencils, and you will have a finish you will be proud of!

Evan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Painting props (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL