The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Fabric selection (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Just a couple comments about fabric for your projects.
I will not expose anything, but I have seen several questions about fabric items, and I thought I would share some of what I look for when I shop for fabric.
Wash your hands before going to the fabric store, then TOUCH the stuff!
Sorry for the length!

First, what is it for? Servante? Main prop? Bag of some sort?
Is color/pattern an issue?
Washability? Wool/silk/cotton?
Ddoes it make noise when you handle it? Nylon dacron vs. wool (bow hunters like wool or flannel).
Does it stretch? Tthe way you want it to? If it stretches, will you have to fight it in your handling?
If two pieces are side by side, can you tell it is more than one piece? What if you turn one around? (Does it have a grain, pattern or surface to it?)
Can you see through it? Breathe through it?
If you are not doing the sewing--or even if you are--have you sewn it before? Will your seamstress even touch it?
Did you look at both sides?
Remember, most prices are by the yard--except trim, maybe foot, maybe yard. Fabric is anywhere from 30-36 inches wide to 60 inches wide--you pay by how many yards length you buy--you can buy less than a yard!
So $20/yd velvet will really only be about $7 if you need a one foot by 3 foot bit.
There is usually a bargain or remnant table.
Hot glue was created for the fabric industry!
Dye lots can be different--form bolts or rolls--so buy from each roll and what you will need: write down the lot number--it is found on the end label--if you need more you want the same dye lot to match it.
Some fabrics have better stretch in one direction.
Some stretch in all directions.
Some do not stretch except on the bias, or diagonal corner to corner.
Do not forget the "rick rac" or edge and trim sections of the store--gold cords--zig zag trim in several widths, fancy trims and ribbons of many colors and sizes!
Hope this helps more than confuses!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Fabric selection (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL