The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » where to learn escape magic (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
escapeguy
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of escapeguy
Man I agree with Harley. Picking a lock has nothing to do with a good escape in fact I am constantly let down by the modern movement of some who do escapes that put the focus on magically at the end being able to undo the lock in full view of the audience. Personally its not for me. I much prefer trying to pull the audience into the story and hopefully them feeling the struggle of the escape which the trick parts arent seen, this way to me at least, the magic, the effect is built in their own minds. I love horror movies, yet bored off my ass (no I'm not watching them while on a donkey) with gore slasher movies because there is no suspense at all, its all visual and nothing there to trip my imagination, whereas you watch a classic like Psycho or Halloween and wow, no gore, all suspense and terror in your mind.

I believe escapes to be effective should be like that,,,,I explain everything to you, the nature of the challenge, I get put into said device or fastened with it. I struggle many times in open view just hidding with bigger motion or misdirection the secret move hopefully done well so the audience has a good experience,,,,how stupid would it be if in card magic you say hey look Im putting your card in the middle of the deck and with this move I get it on top and if you watch closely Im taking 2 cards off the top as 1 now they change Viola! yeah, stupid.....Escapes or the effect of escapes are quite magical and can be visceral on the audience but you gotta work on the psychology, the gimick is the least important part most of the time.....ask any Hollywood Director what makes a great movie experience? THE STORY.....
MICHAEL GRIFFIN,
America's Escape Artist

Visit: www.escapeguy.com
Like: www.facebook.com/michaelgriffinescapes
Follow: www.twitter.com/escapeguy
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Ian, I wonder if you understand that when I say "story", it has little to do with "Once upon a time"?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On May 23, 2018, escapeguy wrote:
.... I love horror movies, yet bored off my ass (no I'm not watching them while on a donkey) with gore slasher movies because there is no suspense at all, its all visual and nothing there to trip my imagination, whereas you watch a classic like Psycho or Halloween and wow, no gore, all suspense and terror in your mind.

THE STORY.....

When you said suspense I knew you were going to mention Psycho - the shower scene where each shot contains either shower head, drain, knife, blood or skin - but never knife touching skin or even knife and blood. ALl in the head ... which makes it so so so much nastier! It's like the ear scene in Reservoir Dogs... we are not shown it happening - yet my memory of it is "clear as day!" All because the directors know how to tell a good story.

Quote:
On May 23, 2018, Harley Newman wrote:
Ian, I wonder if you understand that when I say "story", it has little to do with "Once upon a time"?

I happen toknow that Ian quite likes the modern classics like the Ladibird police book... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » where to learn escape magic (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL