The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » "Out to Lunch" (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

R2
View Profile
Special user
938 Posts

Profile of R2
I have performed many routines using this princpal. For this most part it has been of Dary'ls inspiration.

I suppose that I have never once heard mention of who the originator for the principal happens to be?

Can you help to provide some clarity folks?
Gratitude and a handshake my friends,r2
Woofledust
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
76 Posts

Profile of Woofledust
According to T. A. Waters, the common application of this, i. e., the East Indian boy climbing up a rope, was invented by Edward Bagshawe and appeared in his book, "Twenty Magical Novelties".
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1188 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Max Maven posted the history on the Magic Talk forum a number of years ago. His post has been archived here: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~roy/magictalk-wi......nch.html

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
R2
View Profile
Special user
938 Posts

Profile of R2
Many thanks to both of you Brothers! This wraps this one up for me! I really appreciate the time it took you to get me a definitive answer....Gratitude & a handshake my friends~R2
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2332 Posts

Profile of MueCard
The forerunner of the OUT TO LUNCH is a card switch with whole figure playing cards, which is to find for example in Eberhard Welper: DAS ZEITKÜRZENDE LUST- UND SPIELHAUS (Frankfurt 1694). The ˝-card masking principle is used. A half card maskes the bottom card of the deck, as the whole figur cards differs from each other in the upper part of the figure.

Reinhard
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7265 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The actual marketed version of "out to Lunch" was developed by Bob Ellis of West Virginia.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4400 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2005-03-25 21:54, hugmagic wrote:
The actual marketed version of "out to Lunch" was developed by Bob Ellis of West Virginia.

If it was Bagshawe's Indian boy routine define "developed" Smile

I once had one where the sign on the card was "Out on Strike!"

Still a brilliant principle, best ways of introducing it for workers are Greg. Wilson's "Stockholder" or Doc Eason's money clip versions.

Paul.
Ken McCreedy
View Profile
New user
St.Catharines,Ontario CANADA
4 Posts

Profile of Ken McCreedy
The Out to Lunch principle was invented by Clare Cummings and Bob Ellis. They were in the Service together in Boca Raton Florida. The year was 1945 and it was first advertised in the Linking Ring magazine in 1946. I knew Clare Cummings from the Abbott's Get Togethers. He performed as Milky the Clown in and around the Detroit area.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1188 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2005-10-23 12:01, Ken McCreedy wrote:
The Out to Lunch principle was invented by Clare Cummings and Bob Ellis. They were in the Service together in Boca Raton Florida. The year was 1945 and it was first advertised in the Linking Ring magazine in 1946. I knew Clare Cummings from the Abbott's Get Togethers. He performed as Milky the Clown in and around the Detroit area.

You may wish to check out the link I posted last year further up in the thread. Max Maven has shown that the principle goes back much further than that.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
RCLmagic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of RCLmagic
Addendum: At the page linked by Jim Maloney, above, there is a comment that "its been published in loads of basic magic books over the years. it is in the mark wilson book for sure."

True, but you'll never find it by searching for the Out To Lunch principle there. In "Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic", the required "method and master move", plus several tricks using the same working, are described in a section about "Genii Cards" (on pp 164 - 173).

BobLeedom (AT comcast DOT net)
Glenwood, Maryland
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
539 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
Ca you get Indian boy up the rope out to lunch anywhere now?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6851 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I was "surfing" and landed here! I bought Out To Lunch about 1946, and, had it printed on my business cards. It was great. People would KEEP my card!

I used a "bunch" of those cards.

IIRC the original instructions listed Clare Cummings, and, Bob Ellis a "inventors". I later got to know Clare, at Abbott Get Togethers. Ellis, IIRC, was a mortician in West Virginia.

I knew a Jim Maloney in the Navy. I even remember Jim and I playing a date for a PURIM Festival!

I've known Max Maven for 40 years. He's scrupulous about the history of magic! So, if he tells it, "it must be so!"

Walter Gibson, who "ghosted" the Mark Wilson CCIM, had written more books about magic than anyone else!. I suspect that he drew on older sources, and, renamed principles.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20093 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
My instructions say, DeVoe Magic Den.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7265 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bob Ellis was not a mortician but a politician and attorney in West Virgnia. But then again a mortician is close.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6851 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Richard!

Thanks for the info on Bob Ellis! I, somehow, had "mortician" stuck in my mind.

This has been an interesting thread on the OTL principle. My only experience with it has been with the "1946" version.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7265 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
If I remember correctly it was Bob Ellis and Clare Cummings who came up with the little hindu boy on the rope version.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » "Out to Lunch" (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL