The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Closeup Pads (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
I was wondering how many people have made their own close-up pads and what material you find works best? What type of cushion do you use between the fabric and the wood?
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
fredmoore
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of fredmoore
I've made a few close-up tables for myself and find that auto head-liner works great! It already has a little bit of cushion on it and you can probably just glue it to a rubber mat. You can find it at just about any fabric shop and it comes in many different colors.
www.moorefred.com

"Find A Job You Love And You
Add 5 Days To Your Week!"
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
Fred, I love your tie!

Emmett
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
I second auto headliner. I back it with a piece of 1/4" plywood (scrap paneling), no glue, and mount the whole thing in a metal picture frame. Gazzo suggests making the back side smooth for dice stacking.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
Firebert
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Firebert
Where could I find auto headliner? My local fabric store didn't know what it was. It sounds like the ideal material. Smile
“Nor is the man enriched, in repeating the old experiments of animal sensation, nor unless through new powers and ascending pleasures, he knows himself by the actual experience of higher good, to be already on the way to the highest."

--Emmerson
thegospelmagicman
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of thegospelmagicman
I too would like to know where to find it.

John
The Gospel Magic Man
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Find headliner material at a place that carries automotive re-upholtery supplies. I have a local supplier, but there should be online sources, too.

I was also lucky enough to run into a local company that manufactured wet vests; neoprene vests, like divers' wetsuits. Same material that the Mullica pads were made from. They also carried a closed-cell foam for the backing, although it was about 3/8" thick, making a hefty pad. I don't know if they are still in business or not, but neoprene is available by the roll... although not cheap.

One thing I used for a closeup pad that worked extrememly well, although it didn't roll up was a properly-sized piece of very nice, tight, fine-grained carpet. I had the edges bound (serging also works), and coated the back with rug-backing compound (basically, a thick liquid latex). The latex can be colored before application with acrylic paint, which will dry the color of the paint, as the latex is more or less clear when dry. If unable to find rug-backing compound, mold-making compound is the same stuff. That is generally available at art and craft stores.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
thegospelmagicman
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of thegospelmagicman
Thanks for your help!

John
The Gospel Magic Man
PatrickErrins
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of PatrickErrins
I suggest using Neoprien(sp?), the stuff they make wetsuits out of.

Washing machine friendly, and it comes in a lot of colors, too!

Best,
Patty
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
To add to the sources list... I was at Hancock Fabrics yesterday and they had several bolts of headliner material for $8.95 a yard. Not as many colors as my automotive supply source, but ok. It should be mentioned that this stuff has a foam backing which gives it the necessary spring, but there is nothing to grip the table if used as a stand-alone piece. It needs a backing of some sort unless it is secured to a table top.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Charlie2820
View Profile
New user
Texas
1 Post

Profile of Charlie2820
Man, I'm so glad I found the Café! Unbelievable what I've learned here.

The auto headliner material does work excellent, as I've just found out. But for backing on a table I've built, I used some rubber shelf liner I stumbled on at Lowe's. The material on top of this works fine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Closeup Pads (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL