The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » Music for Close-Up Contests (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Andrews
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of James Andrews
Have you ever seen successful close-up acts that use music?

I am trying to put a routine together that will be mostly coins vanishing and reappearing, and I thought about using music.

I was wondering if this was a radical idea. I can't recall seeing a contest in which this is used. That doesn't mean it can't be done, but should it be done? Would you lose points if you used music instead of having a speaking act?

It wouldn't necessarily be a manipulation act per se...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Hi James, I do a cup and ball routine to music and have won 2 awards with it.
if anything, in my opinion I think it can help to increase your chances of winning if the music fits and you move in time etc.
the volume is also very important! you would have to decide if you want your audience to hear the coins or not.

I say go for it...it takes some doing to get a nice act, but it can be much more entertaining to break up a performance with a musical interlude.

Just make sure that the competition you are thinking of entering will allow it! and check to see if they can supply a player for your music.

Hope this helps?
In Magic
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
James Andrews
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of James Andrews
Choosing the music is the tricky part. I haven't given much thought to it yet. All of this is still just an idea.

For this sort of thing, would classical music be the way to go say over pop music? It would be a slower paced act, so I was thinking the classical route. But, I don't want to lose the audience either. People bore easily with this music. The magic may not hold them.

Also, I live in the U.S., so I was wondering if music would be as appropriate here as it seems to be overseas? Or is it a universal thing?
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
I think this is a universal thing?
I forgot to mention...DON'T use music with words! esspecialy pop music...it is not always to everyones taste and if it isn't for the judges, then you have had it!
saying that the music I use has words...but it is a crazy song about a lemon tree! and I produce a lemon at the end so it makes sense...pluss it is a comedy routine.

The music you choose should be going at the same pace as your act...if you move slowly then use slow classical music.

I hope this helps?
In Magic
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
James Andrews
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of James Andrews
Much appreciated Steve.

I'm going to dive right into it. The contest I am shooting for isn't until next year, so I have time. The coin routine is 85% ready now. I need to put a few more touches on it, and then work with the music.

Thanks again.
Darcy
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Darcy
Jason Latimere uses music to his cups and balls and he won fism.

Darcy
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Appropriate music can really enhance a close-up act. Music can build laughter, be a hidden assistant, or pull the appropriate emotional desired response.

Music is also a double edge sword when it becomes over welming, or overpowering the routine as well as distracting if it is inappropriate.

Use it well!
Dennis Michael
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
You have to use it carefully, cause with right tracks you really add a lot to your act, but with wrong ones you might loose more than win.

I`d reccomend something from Michael jackson, that's what I use to spice up my act ant it works well with me. Sometimes I even dance like MJ, this really makes spectatours go wild, cause Michael Jackson`s dance is pure magic itself Smile

God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
James Andrews
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of James Andrews
Quote:
On 2004-09-15 09:13, King Of Pop wrote:

I`d reccomend something from Michael jackson, that's what I use to spice up my act ant it works well with me. Sometimes I even dance like MJ, this really makes spectatours go wild, cause Michael Jackson`s dance is pure magic itself Smile

Thanks for the advice. Definitely not my style though. Smile
MagicTony
View Profile
New user
Kenosha, WI
25 Posts

Profile of MagicTony
The key to using music with any type of act (stage or close-up) is that the music fits the act . . . and by fit, I don't just mean tempo. Pick a piece of music that has crescendos, decrescendos, and hits throughout. You need dynamics that will frame the magic that's happening. Also, choreograph the act to the music. There's nothing I hate more than seeing a competitor start the music, do his act, and then stop the music. You can easily edit music for length to fit your act to a "T". Music with words can work quite well as long as the words have some thematic connection to the act.

Tony
Ingo Brehm
View Profile
New user
Germany
61 Posts

Profile of Ingo Brehm
An important question you have to ask yourself is: What kind of feelings/emotions do I like to cause with the music?
The best way to check if your selected music is the right one is to play it for several people and ask them what they feel and think while listening to the music. If 80% of the answers are the same as you want/expected you have the right title. If not: Look for another one. (this advice comes from the German director Eberhard Riese, who worked with many Fism-Price-Winners).

A good source for music are movie soundtracks. Select films that are about the emotion you would like to cause for your spectators and you should find the right track soon. Another good advice is to select music, that is not in the charts at the moment or in the last two years. Also you should not take number one hits. It's better to look at those songs that have been in top ten for a while but in the second row. Take a look at DC and learn from his selections. But don't use them!!!!!
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I think that music really adds to close-up acts. I have seen some pretty dry close-up performers.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » Music for Close-Up Contests (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL