The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Jaxon's FFF (Floatation) modification. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2539 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Many of you have seen the online video of me performing my modified Fearsons Fantastic Floatation. If you have't you can check it out at my site or at Magicvideodepot.com

I've also performed this at a couple of magic conventions and I'm now receiving Emails left and right for it. A guy at Abbotts get together even offered me $500 to make him one.

Well, I've been thinking about making it available but I want to be fair about things. It's not my trick. It's Steve Fearsons. I only made some changes to it. In all honesty, if I hadn't bought one from Steve Years ago, I never would have come up with these modifications.

I've tried to contact Steve for some time now but I don't get a reply. So here's what I'm thinking and I'm asking you all what you think of this idea.

I'm thinking that I can make some instructions on how to do these modifications. It took me quite some time to work it out because thre's a lot to it. These instructions will be written in such a way that unless you knew the origianl from Stave, then you probably would be able to fallow along.
Some one would have to order the instructions and material needed from Steve. Then, if they wanted to, they would order these instructions from me and it'll tell them how to make the alterations.

I'm thinking this way would be fair to Steve and they'll still get this version of the trick.

No idea what price yet but it would only be instructional.

What do you think? I haven't made any decisions on this. I'm only asking for opinion.

Thanks for your time.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
varg
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of varg
If it doesn't expose the original product I think you should go for it, no doubt.
Jeff Parmer
View Profile
New user
Redondo Beach CA
8 Posts

Profile of Jeff Parmer
I second the motion. Especially if you have made all possible attempts to talk to him. But you should make all possible attempts first.

Hats of to you for your integrity on this matter.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2539 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks guys.

Well, this issue has taken a new turn. From what I hear, Steve is longer involved in magic and his site downloadmagic.com is for sale. It isn't even there anymore.

Which means that I can no longer make the modification available like I hoped to. If his original is no longer available then no one will be able to order it from him then if they wish, get my MOD.

What does this mean? Does it mean I should make the entire thing available and disregard involving Steve other then to explain that this trick is based on the original from Steve Fearsons in the instructions? I mean I would definitely give credit to him for his original.

I'm stumped. There is a way to make it out of material you can find in stores. So it would be possible to make instructions for what to buy, the tools needed and how to make the entire thing.

Hmm, not sure what to do. I wouldn't be worrying about it but it's received a lot of requests.

Any thoguhts?

Thanks again.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
I have killed more topics with my
5669 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Oh, man!

What a situation. Is there ANY way to contact S.F. himself, and BUY the rights to the thing? I mean, really, if he's out of magic, and into his new thing (don't go there... ;-)...), you'd think he'd either, as a gratis, present it to you, or provide a way to transfer "license", so to speak.

One more thing.

I would like to commend Ron Jaxon. He is the upright individual I knew him to be, but this shows you outright. He could have just done it, assuming the originator of the effect was just gone and this could be for the taking (how MANY have done just that, ripping off the originator...wooo...I won't go there either Smile ), but he didn't.

Ron thought enough of Steve Fearson to attempt (best he could) to contact him. Ya know...what I know of Steve, I doubt he'd care about the FFF, but nonetheless, he IS the inventor, he SHOULD give permission before proceeding.

Steve shared his original with me at one of our local meetings, when he did the lecture rounds, and we tossed a couple ideas back and forth, but I never bought the kit. What I did have were some plan sketches he ended up giving me after the lecture, and said if I could improve upon it, to contact him.

Well, that never happened, things changed, and he was nowhere to be found, when I did want to buy his "improved" version, and had the money. The new kit went for around $40, as I remember, and included the styrene plastic pieces already cut and scored for you. All you had to do was bend the scored pieces and go shopping at Joanne's! Well, now that's long gone, and after seeing Ron's version, I'm all fired up again!

We do need to make a concerted effort to contact Steve, and either get his blessing, refusal, or offer-to-license quote. That much I am sure of.

If he cannot be contacted, I do believe there is something stated somewhere (how's THAT for ambiguity? LOL!), that if you "...change it seven different ways...", you're in the clear. I don't know. It's been done before, but I stand behind the inventor FIRST and foremost. I have stayed OUT of that field for the very reasons cited above. There are many things I could have marketed (in the past), but didn't. Too much dishonesty out there, for my tastes.

Sorry for the long post. I feel Ron is to be commended for his honest, fair, and good-will approach to life. If you'd like to know more about Ron, DO visit his website at:

http://magicjax.com

Fourth menu item of the left. I think you will be enlightened.

Doug
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26076 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Ron,

With a bit of creativity, you can contact the Steve Fearson himself. From there, it will probably be a quick phone call to ask his permission. He may even be open to an offer on his other stuff.

Best to you,

Jonathan
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2539 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
THanks guys.

Well, years ago when I was just hard of hearing instead of Deaf I talked to Steve on the phone with the use of an amplifier. It's been a long time but he was pretty cool to talk to.

Now, being deaf, the only option I have is Email. If anyone talkes to Steve in person or by the phone please mention this. Maybe send him to my site or email.

I'd be happy to buy the rights to it like Doug mantioned if that's what it comes down to (And if I can afford it.. Smile )

Thanks again.

Ron Jaxon

Posted: Oct 25, 2004 7:19pm
------------------------------------------
What's going on?

Click the above link and read the discuission. Did he leave magic or not???

I'm so confused!

But I was able to send him another Email from his site. His site's up again now too. We'l see if he reply's.

Ron Jaxon

Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
5669 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi again, all...

I've been getting emails, asking for me to help provide info to help build the Jaxon version of FFF. I'm flattered, but I cannot help. I don't believe I am authorized to do that. All I really own are the sketches and notes mentioned above. I never built mine. I learned the Balducci Levitation shortly afterwards, and that's done fine for me since then.

Basically Ron's version is done "backwards" from the Fearson version. I can say that in confidence, as only owners of the illusion will understand.

Ron is working out the details as to license, as we speak, so I'll wait until we hear from Ron, for now.

Best to all,

Doug

Posted: Nov 2, 2004 7:23pm
-------------------------------------
No more PM's or emails asking me to reveal, or share the plans for the F.F.F.!

That is plain PIRATING! I will not participate in piracy. Period. One person actually said, "You can trust me...I won't tell ANYBODY!!!" The rest were just polite requests to share my plans and notes.

I feel terrible disappointing people like that, but asking me to "scan and email" those plans and notes is like asking me to SHOPLIFT! It's stealing, plain and simple. There was written, a LONG time ago, a phrase that went something like:

THOU SHALT NOT STEAL

That still holds true today. Hey, I'm not perfect, in fact, I WAS guilty of dubbing videos from my magic friends, for my own collection (NOT to sell), but someone pointed out to me how WRONG that was. I've since destroyed those. I hope I am forgiven for my mistake. If I find anything else in my collection that is "copied" or a "ripoff" of someone else's (currently licensed) work, it's GONE!

I have to look myself in the mirror every morning. That's hard ENOUGH to do, without a guilty conscience!

Thanks again, for understanding!

Doug
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2539 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I get that too. I don't mind at all when someone emails or private messages me asking for help or advice. In fact I'm very flattered by that. I hope my attempt to help has been successful more often then not.

I had one person say they got the FFF and needed help putting it together. My reply was I'd be happy to help. I then asked if they could explain exactly what part of the construction they're having trouble with and I'll see if I can help with it. There reply was, "I need help with all of it".
This sounds to me like someone who is just searching the secret for free. I'm not saying that is the case but if they have the instructions that come with it and don't understand any of it. Even with all the words and images that are included and the material that comes with it. Then magic isn't something they should be into if they can't understand any of it.

If the reply would have been (I'm having trouble with this or that part) then I would have been happy to try and help.

if the person I'm referring about reads this I mean no offense. Just let me know specifically what you're having trouble with and I'll see what I can do. This is just to let you know that your question didn't come to me as someone who really owned the original.

Doug is a good friend, but even he only knows so much about my version of the FFF. He knows the orignal and the modified method that has been mentioned here on the public board such as it's the same as the original from Fearson except it's backwards. If you know the method of the original then that alone will tell you what this modification is.

Now, if you do know the original and would like to know more about how to construct it the way I've modified it. There is a lot to it and it took my quite a few tries to finally work it all out. I'd be happy to answer your questions (Providing you know the method and just need advice on the construction!). I won't be able to explain it all because there is a lot involved in the modification and unless I provide some images to help clarify then it'll be kind of confusing. That's why I'm in the process of making instructions for this modification. Not to get rich off it (Although that would be nice.. Smile ). But just because there is obviously a lot of interest in it.

I again give all credit to Steve Fearson for the original FFF. I've only stumbled upon a modification of it that I like a little better. I just wish I could contact him on this issue. I just wish I could get a reply from him about it somehow.

Ron Jaxon

Posted: Nov 12, 2004 9:47am
------------------------------------------
Well, I got a reply and I'm going ahead with the production of the instructions on how to make this modification. I won't go into details about the responce I got. I will tell you that it was nothing negitive. You can basically say I'm free to go ahead with it.

Here's what I'm thinking and maybe you all could tell me which you think would be best. Because this will show how to construct the gimmick. I'll share how to make it from scratch. This is the catch though. Who ever gets it will have to go out and buy the material needed too. I'll use materail that's easy to find. All the materail will be about $20 to pick up.
I'm thinking about making a DVD. Picture an episode of this old house or something like that. I'll walk through how to make the gimmick just like those wood shop shows would show how to make a project. Then I'll show how to perform it in a variety of ways.

Or I could make it in book or manuscript form.

What do you think?

Ron Jaxon

The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1977 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
The both would be great ways to go.....this will give the buyer a choice for them choice from...or if you want to go the easy way a book like Andrew Maye does.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2539 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I'm moving and starting to work with Sean Bogunia. He's got a great studio to make videos and it just so happens the shop is in the same large room. It would be a great place to make the dvd for this because the studio and all the tools needed to make the video would be right there. Like I said, I'll make it like one of those wood shop shows and walk through the steps of making it.

After I'm settled in I'll get to it. I just had another though. I could include "sheet Morph" on the same DVD (A close up, no gimmick metamorphosis). I got a couple other effects like this. Things that are traditionally performed on stage but are scaled down for close up or parlor. Hmm. maybe I should make it a DVD on those kinds of effects. I might be jumping the gun here but it's a thought.

Ron Jaxon

Chris Henderson
View Profile
Special user
Indiana -- Anyone w/ no life would have
557 Posts

Profile of Chris Henderson
Quote:
On 2004-11-03 14:49, Jaxon wrote:
I don't mind at all when someone emails or private messages me asking for help or advice. In fact I'm very flattered by that. I hope my attempt to help has been successful more often then not.

I had one person say they got the FFF and needed help putting it together. My reply was I'd be happy to help. I then asked if they could explain exactly what part of the construction they're having trouble with and I'll see if I can help with it. There reply was, "I need help with all of it".
This sounds to me like someone who is just searching the secret for free.

The next time something like that occurs, you could always respond with something along the lines of:

Take the size-7 left-handed gonkulator that comes with the effect and split it in two to expose the two inverted flazeebos. If yours does not come supplied with flazeebos, just use any dodecahedron-shaped flat black unobtainium pieces you may have lying around the house. Insert the larger section completely into the smaller section - just make sure that the two sizes do not change during this process. If you are having difficulty getting these two pieces to fit, simply use a standard board stretcher available at any hardware store. (Ask the clerk to help you find one.) When the two pieces are joined, apply them to a European left-handed Vernet T.T. and proceed as the original instructions state. However, at the point of impact (you know what I mean - Wink, wink!), you will need to perform a back-reverse-triple-charlie'-under-over-multiple-digit-shift-sleight - be careful not to sprain your pinky. But do it backwards (i.e in an upside-down mirror image to the original method published in Huxter's Opus, Vol. 9.) Obviously at this point you can't have any spectators directly in front of you, over you, or to your left or right sides. So make the proper adjustments. They will be obvious at this point with the gimmick in your hand. Ditch the gimmick at the end of the effect and you are left clean.
    :) Smile Smile

In all seriousness, good luck with your improvement!
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"

--Gerry Spence
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2539 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
LOL.. Smile

That's good. I'm copying and saving it. Maybe I'll use it next time. You left a few things out though but don't worry. I'll fill in the blanks. I'll type it ASL font though (American Sign Language)... Smile

Ron Jaxon

Posted: Dec 13, 2004 3:36pm
---------------------------------------------
I'm getting some queries about when this will be available so let me fill you in on what I have planned for this.

I'm going to release this as an instructional DVD. I'm already working out details but I won't start recording until after the holidays because this is a busy time of year for me right now.

Here's an outline of what you should expect to find on this DVD.

I'm going to have the camera fallow me into a store and purchase everything you'll need to make the gimmick. I'm doing this because there are a variety of materials you can use to make it. I'll walk through the choices. then you'll see that all the material won't cost to much. From my researching it'll cost about $20 to $25 in material.

Then I'll take the camera back to the shop and walk you through constructing the gimmick.

Once it's put together I'll demonstrate and teach how to perform with it. There are a variety of ways to present it. For example doing one handed push ups while sitting on a chair (kind of funny). Floating onto a table or chair. Doing a version of LEAN. Floating up onto something.

Any of you who know the basics of this know that the advantage is that the cover can be held more naturally. I'll show different ways to use the cover. In some situations you can be floating with no cover at all.

I'm also thinking about the possibility of adding a couple of other effects to the DVD such as Sheet Morph (A no gimmick metamorphosis) and possibly another stage effect with rope where you can vanish and appear behind the audience using nothing but a length of rope. I haven't decided for sure on this yet but if I do include these effects it'll be more like a DVD on scaled down stage illusions.

I'll keep you informed.

Ron Jaxon

Posted: Jan 13, 2005 12:26pm
---------------------------------------------
It seems there was a mix up on the permission to make this available. When I got the Email that basically said I could but to not mention who the originator it. The Email came from someone who seemed to work with Steve or at least be a friend of his. They told me things like, "He said this and he said that." It turns out this Email wasn't from someone who talked to Steve at all. It basically said that if I wanted to go ahead but just don't mention his name anywhere because there are already some "copy" effects out there.

I didn't want to be viewed as someone who copied it. That's the reason I wanted to make sire everyone know exactly what my version is. It's not big secret anyway. If you know the original and watch my version you'd know it's the exact same thing but only reversed. All I planned to release was how to put the gimmick together the way I do because a lot of changes are needed to the gimmick to do it this way.

So, because I don't have the permission I thought I had I won't make it available. Sorry to those who where wanting it. If anyone knows the method and picks the original up from Steve and wants to put it together the way I do. I'd be happy to help if you have any questions. I'll only help if I know you have the original though.

Ron Jaxon

Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
5669 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Too bad, Ron.

I'm sure there are many who would benefit from your version, although the original is great by itself! Hopefully, it's still available. Hey, we tried! Smile

Doug
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2539 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I just did a little experiment with this trick. I had a poster made to advertise my show. I put a picture of me doing this levitation on the poster but I edited out the coat.

Click here to see the picture

I put this image on the poster knowing that someone would want me to make myself float like that in my show. When I did it not one person said anything about the absence of the coat in the poster. Because I took my coat off a few minutes before I started to float they didn't think about the fact that the coat had anything to do with the trick. They just assumed I happened to be holding it in my hand.

Interesting that it didn't seem to effect them. In their minds I had no cover. At least I have no reason to think they believe otherwise.

Just thought I'd share that.

Ron Jaxon

blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
I spent about a month trying to contact Marc Desousa, but I finally got help from a diner here in the Café
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
A very nice variation! Much more like the position I would prefer to float in if I had the ability. I'm impressed.
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
Very nice. I agree that this is a more magical floating position.
The Doctor Knows.....
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
So what happened to this project?
Is the DVD cancelled?
Why not put out the other ideas on a DVD, like th vanish behind a rope. Sounds really good to me.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4816 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Ron wrote this over a year ago:

Quote:
"So, because I don't have the permission I thought I had I won't make it available. Sorry to those who where wanting it."

Since we haven't heard anything new to change this, I'm assuming this part of the project is still dead. That isn't to say Ron won't do other things, he's a pretty creative guy.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2539 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Receiving Emails and PM's on the FFF is pretty common for me. I receive a lot of requests for tips on preforming it and the modification I made. This is obvious in this discussion.

But what's going on now? I've received a few Emails where magicians are telling me that Steve no longer sells this. I hope it's apparent in this discussion that I've never intended to step on anyones toes with this.

Does anyone know what the deal is with this? It would be nice to be able to help those who ask for it and know that I'm not doing the wrong thing. I have helped a few people make it the way I do but I always make sure they prove they have the original in some way such as having them describe the gimmick or instructions in detail.

Ron Jaxon

hackmonkey
View Profile
Special user
England
980 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Can't find this video? Have you taken it down Jax?
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.thejoepiper.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Jaxon's FFF (Floatation) modification. (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.338009 seconds, requiring 80 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [2] [2] [3] [2] [6] [1] [1]