The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Appearing pole concept (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Can anyone provide some information about the origins of the appearing pole principle? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Which one? There are at least three.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your response, its the principle behind the ten foot pole, opinion pole, giant straw etc, that I am hoping to get some information on regarding its creator(s) and/or its earliest appearances(puns aside). Its the princile that I need info about, not the different effects since devloped. Thanks for any help you can give me.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The one you are wondering about was, to the best of my knowledge, first done by Sylvester the Jester. I think he put it out sometime around 1990 or so. It could have been earlier than that. It was called the 10 foot pole, but it was only 8 feet long. I still have one that I used at the Texas Renaissance Festival in 1994 at the 20th anniversary celebration gate ceremony.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

chicane
View Profile
Elite user
New Zealand
465 Posts

Profile of chicane
John Ferrentino's "Original Pole from Box" pre dated Dan Sylvester's woodgrain covered pole. John Ferrentino and Joe Silkie were selling an appearing pole and it was in their lecture, but I don't know how long before Dan designed his version. The Jester's Appearing 10 ft Pole is probably the most well known of the straight pole productions which is why it is often mistaken as the first.
FORCE 4 - a TOOL FOR MENTALISTS - OUT NOW

http://www.nzmagic.com/magicshop2015.html
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This brings up an interesting piece of trivia. How long is a 10 foot pole?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
In Metric or English measurement? Or are you talking about the fellow from Warsaw?
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
AlmostAmazingJames
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of AlmostAmazingJames
Venetian Blinds
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Hungarian Walt's
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The original Sylvester the Jester 10 foot pole was just shy of 8 feet long. I have one here in my office, which I used at the Texas Renaissance Festival during a pre-show ceremony.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Dan Sylvester was recently interviewed on Magicbroadcast.com and spoke a bit about how he came up with the idea etc. They replay the interview every so often. He's an intresting fellow.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I asked Paul Gross about this, because I knew he had carried both the Farentino pole and the Sylvester Pole. The Farentino Pole did predate the Sylvester Pole by a few years. Sylvester asked John if he could make one, and John said that he could, implying that it was for his own personal use.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

efrados
View Profile
Regular user
Montevideo, Uruguay
119 Posts

Profile of efrados
I want to know methods, I have an appearing straw but I think that the pole works differently, can somebdoy pm me?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Defiantly Danny. In his lecture, He talks about being destructive while in the HD, cutting various tubes lengthwise and no one bothered him.
It was absolutely Danny.

It's notable that there are similarities to a vanishing or appearing cane BUT it works differently enough that a patent attorney would say it was "an advancement if the arts"

Additionally, Danny has invented over a dozen other original conceptual so no one can say he copies people. He is an a "inner-outer" (Konstantin Sergeyevich Stanislavsky) that means, he doesn't reverse engineer something, he gets an idea and pursues it, from the ground up, until it works. (Inner-outer, Stanislavsky).
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I "inherited", in 1950, after he died, a "cigarette to wand" from my first mentor, Stuart Ross.

Stuart didn't "invent" it. It was a commercial prop from a magic shop. The 'cigarette" was standard size. The "wand" was about 12".

Made of an early "plastic material", somewhat like celluloid, it had been stored too long in its cigarette configuration, so that it no longer "worked".

I have no idea how long Stuart had it, but, I assume it must have been from the '30s.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Mullins
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Bill Mullins
This ad is in the Oct 1904 issue of Mahatma.

MAGICIANS: You cannot afford to he without one of Brehmer's barber poles. They are made from the best materials, painted in colors like a real barber pole. Measure 3-1/2 inches in length when closed, and 10 feet long when pulled out. Always sure to create laughter when you produce the pole from under someone's coat. Sent postpaid to any part of the U. S. for 60c. Address: CARL BREHMER, 2400 Jefferson St., Philadelphia, Pa
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
The pole that Bill mentions is telescopic in the same way as an appearing cane, so the effect is the same as the appearing pole, the method is different.
Al Flosso featured one in his interaction with a boy in the Miser's Dream.

Dick Oslund is absolutely correct!
The principle that Sylvester et al, used for the appearing pole is exactly as Dick Oslund describes with the celluloid cigarette to wand. This certainly predates 1944 as that was when the book 'The Trick Brain' was published and Fitzkee makes a point about the unusual method for the cigarette to wand. And in describing it, he reveals the method and indeed it is EXACTLY as the more modern versions of the 10 foot pole.

I have no doubt that Sylvester invented it (again) without any knowledge of the Fitzkee book or manufactured 'cigarette to wand'.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
REV BILL
View Profile
Special user
Glen Burnie Maryland
785 Posts

Profile of REV BILL
I heard that Jim Schuyler of Baltimore (passed way 2012) invented it with his appearing 4 feet magic wand. I still have mine.
Specializing in Family Entertainment,Gospel,Comedy and Educational programs for over 30 years.(Order of Merlin)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Appearing pole concept (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL