The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Darwin's Encyclopedia of Thumb Tip Magic .... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
459 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Has anyone own this DVDs?
Is it good or bed??
Thanks for answers...^^
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
At least Darwin convinced me that he is the worlds most knowledgeable thumbtipper.
"There is no reality, only perception."
Boat
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Boat
I have the two books he wrote on using a thumbtip and they are very inventive uses of the TT. So the video is probably very good.
Devilix
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Devilix
Sorry Guys but I don't agree with you on this...

Let me explain, I have only see the demo and I really didn't like what I saw. The first thing that I have learn with the TT is that you CANNOT take it back and open you hand immidiatly. You need to take it back, put 2-3 fingers in your hand and THEN open your hand.

I do not say that this DVD is bad. Mayde he got some nice idea with the TT. But for me, its hard to understand how someone can make a DVD when he doesn't do the technic right.

Devilix
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
I, frankly, was disappointed. Mr Darwin has many ideas for use of the TT, most of which are almost identical to each other. He offered no new idea on stealing the tip. It's the basic "tuck and take". I HATE IT when a magicina SHOVES his thumb into the tip when stealing it. I also wasn't fond of the (mostly) one camera shot. I did, however, like the price. Most of all I appreciate Mr Darwin's life long love and research of the most versatile gimmick ever made available. Just my opinion.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I just order the encyclpedia from Penguin Magic. It was on sale.
I will post my thoughts on this after reviewing it.

By the way. Yes you can Devilix. It's all in how you handle the tip and what props you are using.
Daniel Faith
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Unclesamayen, thank you for posting this question, I was thinking of looking into the DVD but wanted to see what others had to say on the subject first. I really like Mr. Darwin and feel that he has a lot of interesting thoughts on magic and different apparatus but after buying the great effects of Magic that IMS put out a year or so ago I am very hesitant in making any purchases with Mr. Darwin’s name on it. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who purchased the Great Effects of Magic and the TT DVD and how that they think the DVD’s compared with each other. I am not sure that you can put the full blame for poor production quality of the Great Effects of Magic totally on the shoulders of Mr. Darwin but I feel that the review that Mike Close gave in Magic Magazine about the DVD’s was pretty much spot on even though Tony Hassini did not agree with it.
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
realorcy
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of realorcy
Devilix,what is the right way to use TT?If audience don't see the thumbtip ,then it is the right way.
Devilix
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Devilix
Whit all due respect, I do not agree with you on this one.

I think that the TT is like many other tools that the magician use and its to easy to say "they don't see it, I have done my job right". Not only peoples don't have to see it, they should not FEAL something. Many times I have seen magician using the TT. Peoples didn't see it, but they were fealing that something was happening. So, they are more in a state that there was a trick, and not magic.

It all depends if you what to do tricks or magic.

Is there something really wrong to open your hand immidiatly after your thumb? Probably not. But for me, its more magic to put 2-3 fingers after to make it more magic, and very least retraceble.

Devilix
llsouder
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of llsouder
Quote:
On 2004-12-18 17:40, Spinnato wrote:
I, frankly, was disappointed. Mr Darwin has many ideas for use of the TT, most of which are almost identical to each other. He offered no new idea on stealing the tip. It's the basic "tuck and take". I HATE IT when a magicina SHOVES his thumb into the tip when stealing it. I also wasn't fond of the (mostly) one camera shot. I did, however, like the price. Most of all I appreciate Mr Darwin's life long love and research of the most versatile gimmick ever made available. Just my opinion.

In the video he does show another way beside the tuck. Very natural and I am glad I got the dvd's but one dvd would have been enough. Too much filler and repetition. I the guy gave you a routine with the ideas, that would be great, but Darwin just throws a lot of ideas of what can be done. I like the ideas, but I was hoping for some more solid routines.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I think that "Rules of Thumb" the set of tapes on the thumbtip created by Sophie Evans and sold now through Kevin James is the best work on the thumbtip out there.

The contributers are Larry Jennings, Peter Pit, Kevin James, Earl Nelson, Steve Valentine, Billy McComb, Joel Bauer, and many other famous and creative performers.

There is a ton of good material and the set is rich in handling tips and even info on how to make your own custom thumb tips.
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Thanks Whit. I will seek that out.
wild_card_matt
View Profile
New user
UK
10 Posts

Profile of wild_card_matt
After watching the vid demo on penguin magic did I start to think about thumb tip magic..I have received thumb tips as free gifts from penguin but I have jus put them on my thumb and laughed and threw it in the draw..Last night I was watchin my jay sankey revolutionary coin magic when I seen in the bonus footage the crocodile tear which uses a thumb tip so I pulled out my TT and got to work with sankeys bill switch and to my suprise I liked it within 10 mins I showed my g/f and kids they were all shocked and I thought to my self that it might not be so 60's that a thumb tip could be cool.
Am considering buyin the darwin dvd's while they are on sale at penguin is this a good idea or bad??
Spinnato: Although the moves may all be the same on this dvd I'm sure darwin is jus trying to show you the 100's of objects that can be vanished etc not to all be used in one 30 min show

matt
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
To my suprise I liked it within 10 mins I showed my g/f and kids they were all shocked

10 minutes???
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Quote:
On 2004-12-21 11:36, pikacrd wrote:
Unclesamayen, thank you for posting this question, I was thinking of looking into the DVD but wanted to see what others had to say on the subject first. I really like Mr. Darwin and feel that he has a lot of interesting thoughts on magic and different apparatus but after buying the great effects of Magic that IMS put out a year or so ago I am very hesitant in making any purchases with Mr. Darwin’s name on it. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who purchased the Great Effects of Magic and the TT DVD and how that they think the DVD’s compared with each other. I am not sure that you can put the full blame for poor production quality of the Great Effects of Magic totally on the shoulders of Mr. Darwin but I feel that the review that Mike Close gave in Magic Magazine about the DVD’s was pretty much spot on even though Tony Hassini did not agree with it.

I have both the IMS DVD set by Darwin, as well as, his new TT DVD 3 Volume set.

The IMS DVD's were of poor production quality, yet the Magic therein was strong.
I agree that Hassini should have edited the DVD's better...many times I hear verbal directions from Hassini to Darwin when the camera is still running. The filming took place entirely inside Darwin's home, and that to me made it look even worse. The magic I learned from those DVD's was good, however.

Darwin's TT DVD set has lots of great effects. The production quality is much better than the Hassini venture. After veiwing both, I will tell you that some of the effects explained on this new project are identical to what is on the Hassini IMS one. There is lots of new stuff...so the question becomes: "Do I want to spend the 40 Dollars to find out what I'm missing?"

This is tough to answer. Some of the effects are strong and others are just so/so. Keep in mind we "are" talking about a TT. Most of what is on Darwin's DVD is already in his TT books.
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
pepijn
View Profile
Regular user
Utrecht (the netherlands)
134 Posts

Profile of pepijn
Okay,

maybe you could help me, I don't have any material on the TT is it worth it than. A lot of video's are named but I have no means of playing them so there is a slight practical problem.

What do all of you feel would be the way to go then, dvd or book. I sort of feel it's maybe good to see somebody using the TT?

I would appreciate thoughts

pep
Dark Thought 13
View Profile
Regular user
Washington D.C.
122 Posts

Profile of Dark Thought 13
Hi guys,

I own the Darwin Thumb Tip DVD and would have to say I was alittle disappointed, I absolutely loved Garys hugely underpriced 101 Thumb Tip Tricks, however I feel as though these DVDs haven't evolved from that booklet which has been out for years. There are some good ideas on this set but that's it, you'll have to do the rest, also I felt Gary's handling of the Thumb Tip was not up to modern day techniques.

The DVD is worth the price for the ideas alone but do not expect to have performance pieces or elaborate routines. I love gary for his enthusiasm but feel there are better resources out there.

Rules Of Thumb that Whit Haydn mentions is very good with some excellent ideas and routines, I did however find Sophie Evans to be the least accomplished on the set.

Whit modestly leaves out from his post that he has two excellent routines on the set which are both full routines and good handlings.. One routine is with a Cigarette that fooled me and makes great sense along with a Signed Bill to Egg..

Rules of Thumb has many ideas and applications for the beginner to the expert, it deals with handlings, tips and ideas along with routines that cover the whole spectrums from Mentalism, Cigarettes, Sweets, Sugar, Coins ( A rare glimpse of Larry Jennings) a Great vanishing Match by Billy McCombe and the funniest Salt Vanish ever, not for the routine but the magician who does it (Name escapes me but I was in stiches.)

Pat Page also has some nice routines with the TT elsewhere but if you want to start using the TT or have gotten bored of the routines you do I would advise Rules Of Thumb as opposed to Darwins DVD offering... If you love the TT that much buy everything on it..

Arguably the best tool to any performer... such a shame it's sold in Joke shops.. In fact a crime..

DT13
"I love the one with the plastic thumb!"
Someone who has seen a s*** magician
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
PremiataForneria,

Thank you for your insight and for answering my question. I am not sure that I will be making this purchase as I have decided for the new year to focus on all that I have rather than what I do not have. I like so many other magicians have some how turned into a bit of a collector over the last few years and find myself with a lot of stuff that I really only have scratched the surface with. I have been using the TT for 20+ years I have books lecture notes, DVD's and videos on the topic so I think that I will be spending my money on learning what I have rather than buying more stuff to add to the collection.

Kris
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Any idea where I can get the rules of thumb other than from kevin james?
the video is $25, and the shipping is also $25....
that's an awful lot to pay for shipping....

would appreciate any help on any other website where this is available for sale...
thanks
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
There is a bill switch done by a guest magician and it has to be the most HORRIBLE switch ever done by anyone. It's comical to watch.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Darwin's Encyclopedia of Thumb Tip Magic .... (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL