(Close Window)
Topic: Ultimate copper/silver from Johnson
I've just ordered this from The Magic Warehouse and was curious if any one uses these coins and if they're happy with them?

This will be my first purchase of a Johnson coin set after a couple disappoiting Sterling and Sasco purchases.

The description looks good but is this different than a Scotch and Soda set?

Thanks for any info, and when I get the coins I'll post my opinion.

Brian
Johnson coins are better than the others mentioned. I too was disappointed with those other two, years ago.

It's different than Scotch and Soda. More versatile.
Definitely better coins sets.
Yes, is very best coin set.
I own two sets, and use them both regularly. I haven't even seen my S&S set in a couple years. The Ultimate set takes it's place, does all the S&S can do, and a lot more.

Good choice. The magnetic version of Ult. Copper & Silver is a good set as well.

Mike
I would spend the extra money and purchase the "hopping half" instead. You get more for the money. It's essentially the same thing with a few extra goodies. It was my first Johnson coin set. Very well manufactured for a mass production company.

Craig
I hope this is put together better than my Sterling hopping half set. You can tell the coins are fake from across the street much less up close. Also my Sterling Scotch and Soda set has never fit properly and doesn't allow me to use the spec in my routine because the fit of the coins is not good.

I have read where some think the quality of Johnson and Sterling are similar. I hope this isn't the case.

Anyway my order shipped yesterday so I'll have a review soon.

Thanks for the replies.

Brian
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Johnson coin set, and will be interested to see what you think.

While the Johnson line doesn't (and couldn't) approach the precision of handmade, limited-production gaffs, they are far and away the finest gimmicked coins available at that price. They are also well made and very durable if handled with a little care. The Sterling and Sasco stuff is usually a bit cheaper and may be OK for starters, but it's no bargain for anyone seriously interested in coin magic. SETH
I have two of these sets and am most pleased.

Believe it or not, I just use the set for an impossible coin accross routine.

Because of the way it is constructed, I can safely let the half dollar sit on the table and do not have to worry about it coming apart.

Tom Wolf
I just ordered this set myself, and I should receive it very soon. I've heard nothing but good things about it. My imagination is currently working on many unique routines in my head. I'll post again, after I receive them and really begin working the magic.

Most Anxiously Waiting,

Dr. Faust
I got the set yesterday and I'm impressed. First off this is my first order with The Magic Warehouse and the service was fast and good, I will absolutly be dealing with them in the future.

The quality of the coins are much better than my Sterling set. Particularly the Kennedy insert by itself looks authentic and can easily be shown closeup and will look like a regular coin where my Sterling set it is very obvious if you look closely that the coin has been cut down.

The extra something that makes this different than a regular Scotch and Soda set is worth the extra expense alone and greatly increases the things that can be done with the coins.

The overall craftsman ship is good as well as the packaging and insrtuctions. My only complaint is that the fit is tight but I assume it will loosen a bit with use. I like my locking sets to fit together easily so that I can put the coins in the specs hands and have the coins lock without having to apply too much pressure.

If your planning on buying a Scotch and Soda set you should consider this one. I'm very happy I bought it and my other set is headed for the trash.

Brian
Am I missing something??

I just received my ult silver & copper from the Magic Warehouse today(very quick service!), and I am pleased with what I got. I particularly like the fact that I can CP the coins much better than my S&S or my magnetic silver and copper(also Johnson). Not sure why my magnetic set is so slipperly. Any thoughts?

HOWSOMEEVER, I do not see any functional difference between this USC and a S&S - other than what I already easily accomplised on my S&S with a file. Am I missing something?

The reason I bought the USC was so that the half i****t would look more realistic than that on my S&S, and it does. My only disappointment is that the i****t is not the same as that on my magnetic copper & silver(different image shows)

Any suggestions on doing the last part of the enclosed trick: "transposition", quietly?

Thanks
The difference is in the size of the ungaffed english penny. I don't believe the S&S ungaffed coin will fit into the s***l. That is what makes the first routine that comes with the coins work.

I think this feature adds so much more to what you can do.

I love the set and I love the glass penetration routine supplied. I killed my wife with it yesterday! I've not been able to do this type of trick with my S&S set because of the fit.

The Johnson Co. has a new loyal customer! As well as Magic Warehouse.

Brian
I have the Johnson hopping half set. Can I do the same Ultimate Copper/Silver with this set? Can somebody tell me what the routine is and if it would be good for walkaround?

Thanks

Eddie
Bg:

thanks.
yes, the EP-[ combination in the UCS is better than that for the S&S. Yet I was able to lightly file a 20 centavo to get it to fit into the [. However, since the centavo is rather thick, it extends well beyond the reaches of the [, and could create an angle problem. Otherwise the effect is possible with a S&S. I'm not sure the penetration effect would work as well. The 2 parts with my S&S don't seem to "cooperate" that well. The big motivation for getting the UCS was to have the half I****t look more realistic, and it does. This fact gives me a good set of coins to do the routine that is in the link below

Fast Eddie:
The links below show two similar effects that can be done with S&S, UCS, or hopping halfs. The difference for the hopping halfs is that you would not be able to hand the coins out at the end of the routine(w/o some special handling). Similarly for the penetration effect mentioned above. You could find the details for the penetration effect in Bobo.

http://www.thetrickery.com/?keywords=&html=demos&nd=demos&base=81&chunk=8

http://www.calmagic.com/silvercopper.html
John,

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure that I would not be wasting my money on gaffs that I already possess. Thanks!

Eddie
Which is better, the regular UCS or the magnetic version? Which handles better or gives the greatest flexibility?
I have both the ultimate silver & copper and the magnetic, both by Johnson.
The magnetic version allows you to quickly reset; the UCS does not. Like S&S, UCS requires a bang ring.

Yet that is one of the reasons I bought UCS, it is completely examinable by the spectator, the manetic version looks fine, and limited handling by the spectator seems ok, yet the i****t will spin if pushed with your finger.

The USC is functionally the same as a S&S, but the dimensions of the components on the USC are better for showing the both sides on the i****t, and a supplied slightly milled down EP will fit under the [ very nicely. This allows for some effects that would not work with a S&S, unless you dig out a file(which I did).

The magnetic version allows for other effects that require a magnetic prop. The purchase comes with a cute in-the-spectators-hands transposition, and also a penetration(see Bobo p268). With the magnetic version, there is a greater tendency for the parts to "talk" than with the UCS, since the magnet may pull the parts together faster than you would other wise want. Related, due to the magnetism, the parts can not be placed on top of each other in just any postion or orientation. You can make them look natural while stacked, but you need to be carefull when initially stacking them, or the parts may move around on their own after you remove your hand. That could raise some eybrows.

Otherwise, I would imagine that you could do most of the effects of the UCS with the magnetic version, but the issue of inspectability exists.

My particular sets seem different in terms of the edges of the coins. The UCS seems easier to hold in a classic palm than the magnetic version. I don't know if that is typical.

So, there are pro's and con's for each. Depends on what type of effects you want to explore.

John