(Close Window)
Topic: Am I being to picky, just received Coin Unique....
I was hoping that someone who has what they consider to be a good example of the Coin Unique would contact me and let me e-mail them a couple of photos of my coin and then let me know if this is typical and/or acceptable, or if I should return it. My e-mail address is listed in my profile. Thanks.

Howdy, I just wanted to thank everybody for their input. Guess I wasn't crazy after all. I also sent photos to the Magic Warehouse and they have agreed to exchange it.
For what it's worth, I just received the 'Miracle Coin' today from Hank Lee's and it looks great and works like a dream. Same concept, just different coins...
Thanks for your thoughts Bill. How do you feel about the examinability of your coin? Would you feel comfortable letting a spectator handle it? I liked the idea of 'Coin Unique', but felt the cut was a bit obvious even for casual handling by a spectator.
I noticed that the insert oxidizes a slightly different color than the shell does. Unless I clean my coin unique before using it, it's fairly noticable. After a cleaning however, the gaff is completely invisible. The new batch of US Coin Unique's are not made by Eddie Gibson (I was told this by a wholesaler friend of mine), but it's my understanding that the quality is very similar. You should not be seeing the "seam" when it's assembled.

I don't usually hand out the coin for examination in any of my routines, gaffed or otherwise, but I would be very hesitant to hand out a Coin Unique, or any other magnetic gimmick that does not lock.

Mike
I don't hand mine out for examination either, but then I never hand out anything for examination. I have done effects with Coin Unique that finish with the spectator holding the coin, and no one has even been suspicious of it. I think it's all a matter of how you do it.
I tend to simply display coins in a such a natural and exposed manner during a routine that, while the center of attention, they never become the center of suspicion... or are quickly ruled out in the minds of the spectator by some interaction or comment. When it all works according to plan, the "heat" isn't just not on the coins, it's not anywhere in the room.

Mike
I have to agree with some of the previous posters, there really should be no need to hand coins out for examination in the first place. Most people will assume that they are what they seem to be, coins being pretty common objects to begin with.

Some magicians may feel that by handing out coins for examination, they are "proving" they aren't gimmicked. I tend to think the reverse is true -- you are actually challenging them to find out what gives with the particular coin. Although challenges worked well for Houdini, most of us aren't Houdini! And even if the specs can't unravel the secret of the coin, many gaffed coins don't sound real if dropped or placed on a table; it's a dead giveaway. Besides, do you really want someone bouncing your new locking Johnson Scotch & Soda set on a concrete floor?

If you feel compelled to hand out coins for examination, I'd suggest brushing up on a Bobo Switch or a shuttle pass. That way, you really can hand out an unprepared "coin of the realm" at the end of the routine, even let them walk away with it if necessary. You can also use borrowed coins at the start of the routine, further eliminating any possibility in the spec's mind that the coins are somehow gimmicked. SETH
I agree with Mike that if casually handled and properly routined, there should be no heat on the coin. With the 'Miracle Coin' the gaff really is invisible, but the coin does not sound normal. I am comfortable handing out the coin, but not for inspection - if the spectator plays around with it too much, they might notice the way it sounds. But if you place it in their hand in the context of the routine or some sort of follow-up, this should take all the heat off the gimmick. They can pick it up and look at it, and will see (and suspect) nothing, as long as they don't drop it or flip it. Routining and spectator management are the keys (whether working with gaffs or not). Best of luck -
Bill
Hey Bill, does the Miracle Coin lock?

I have the magnetic S&S...nice, but it doesn't lock sturdy enough for me. On the other hand, the regular S&S locks like a charm but not without that pesky and suspicious "click" sound. Not sure, but thought that Coin Unique locked quite well, good enough for examination if you like. Does Miracle Coin lock good enough in these regards?
Is there a need to hand the coins out for inspection? mike wild had a nice piece of input regarding that: "I tend to simply display coins in a such a natural and exposed manner during a routine that, while the center of attention, they never become the center of suspicion..." I like that mike
Mb217 - Miracle Coin locks well enough - not like a standard s & s, but well enough. The only issue is if you toss it in your hand or flip it, then you will notice the sound difference, as the coin doesn't sound normal. If someone picks it up and turns it over, they could examine it quite closely and not see a thing. Again, I concur with Mike in that you don't want spectators examining your props, because this implies they may not be normal, as well as the issues of audience control, flow, pacing, etc. If the spectators have held the coins at some point in the routine, there should be no suspicion of trick coins.
After reading everybody's posts I feel I have a better understanding of how to use the coin. I agree that handing it out for examination is a bad idea. I was mainly concerned with the coin I initially received even being handled in the context of a routine because not only was the seam quite visable, but the gaff was slightly raised making it very obvious, at least to me, even when just casually glancing at it. Howard at Magic Warehouse has assured me that he has found a much better example of 'Coin Unique' for me, and I'm sure that with proper routining, and hopefully audience management I can make some magic happen. Thanks for all the tips.
[quote]
On 2005-01-25 13:27, Mb217 wrote:

the regular S&S locks like a charm but not without that pesky and suspicious "click" sound. Not sure, but thought that Coin Unique locked quite well, good enough for examination if you like. Does Miracle Coin lock good enough in these regards?
[/quote]

Similar Johnson's mag..S&S clicks audibly. Any suggestions about what I may be doing wrong? When I have the ]&insert under a card, I try to hide the click by popping the edge of the card. Other advice?
Practice a very light touch. It sounds obvious, but that's what it takes.

Besides, all coins make noise, it's expected. Don't be over sensitive to the sound just because you know there's something not quite right about the coins. The spectators don't, and they won't if you don't "tell them".

Mike