(Close Window)
Topic: 2000 yr old Roman coins
http://www.huntingfortreasure.com

I made a purchase from these folks for some Barber halves and mercury Dimes.

Just thought I would let you coin afficianados know about this site!!

They have Buckets full of old US coins.
And the roman coins are only $1.85 a piece!!
I am sure they can be of some use.
Thanks for the link Willie!
Please let me know how you make out with your order.
Thanks for that! what with the current high pound and low dollar situation that will probably my most astute purchse for the year. Thanks again, Adam
How big are the mercury dimes?

Ben
[quote]
On 2005-01-29 14:17, benscholz99 wrote:
How big are the mercury dimes?

Ben
[/quote]

The size of a current day dime. They just have a different design.
Great link. I think I have a new source for culled walkers now. Thanks.

Mike
Those Roman coins could be a very interesting addition to many coin routines......hmmm.....matrix with parchment paper instead of cards? Thanks!
Thanks just placed an order for a few coins. Great price!
Got My coins the other day....
I think I prefer to go to a dealer and choose my coins. They will match much better,unless , of-course, you order atleast twenty or so to match from.

I ordered four "unsearched" Barber Halves. I got 3 ok quality and one poor. Payed more than the "Collector" quality coins I chose at a dealer when s&h is included.

If your in Houston, I would like to refer a good source in Belaire.
Let me know.
Thanks Willie.
What size are the Roman coins???

TIA,
-=tabman
I Just looked at there site.
On this page:
http://www.huntingfortreasure.com/ancient_coins.php?PHPSESSID=1ab5c8e7d1585c07411537b35ce73aca

The coins called "large" or shown in comparison to a U.S. DIme.
Thanks Willie!!! Looks like a cool addition to my coinage.

-=tab
Yes, I must also offer thanks for that link. The Roman coins satisfy my numismatic as well as magical needs.

Always Grateful,

Dr. Faust
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Feb 6, 2005 09:44PM)
These coins definitely look cool and have a very magical look to them...any routine/effect ideas out there before I pull the trigger and buy me some...coins across with an xtra comes to mind but I would be interested in any other thoughts on these coins and what people might do with them...another thought was the effect king solomon's drink which was in one of the paul Harris books...you vanish a coin in the folds of a silk and reproduce it from behind your right knee...repeat a couple of times and it sets you up from a steal of a glass of liquid...perhaps a goblet to match the roman coins...any more thoughts out there?
Until now I didn't order any of the Roman coins.

Just got Bauer's "Sudden Death Gypsy Curse" script.

I think they would make an Excellent "Groat".......

Kind of "mysterious" and definately old.
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Feb 11, 2005 11:18PM)
Any ideas on the actual size of these coins? which one do I want to have coins that are around half dollar size? any help on this would be appreciated...thanks!
The Roman coins are fantastic!

Only tip - buy more than you need - because they are of variable quality.

Now - where can I get a Roman coin shell.....
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Feb 17, 2005 01:19PM)
El mystico,

I was wondering exactly the same thing...i was thinking of contacting roy kueppers at http://www.roykueppers.com as he is a machinist and a magish...i think I will do just that and let you know...would you be interested?

I just emailed roy kueppers and will report back his comments regarding making a shell for any of these ancient coins...more soon!

I just got back the following from Roy Kueppers who does some amazing things with the machining of coins...can anyone who has purchased these coins give me insight into the even or uneveness (sp?) and how "true" these ancient coins are...thanks for your help with this!

email response from roy kueppers...
Jeff,

I'm glad you like the expanded centavo ! I checked out the Roman coins but It looks like the coins are uneven around the outside and not very true. If this is the case, then it would not be a coin to make expanded. If you can get nice round ones, I could then have a look at them and let you know.

Roy
Roy is right - threy are not smooth or round.Or all the same size. But in that may lie the answer. Since they are not all the same size, it would not need to be an expanded shell, just a regular one built from one of the bigger coins. However, because the coins are not true, the fit would never be good - it would have to be loose, and there would be gaps - so you would have to construct your routine so the bottom side would not be shown. But that is not out of the question.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 18, 2005 07:36AM)
If you want a groats and testors, buy them.
Regardless of any shells....

Just doing a basic copper/silver transpo, when one of them is a Roman coin, adds intrigue.....
Thanks for the link this was what I was looking for