(Close Window)
Topic: Ghost Bills Patter
Message: Posted by: Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie (Jan 30, 2005 04:36PM)
Here are my thoughts on some possible patter for Andrew Mayne's "Ghost Bills". I really like the effect. The only problem I have with the basic presentation (also mentioned by others, elsewhere at The Café) is that the changes may not be obvious enough to some spectators. I'm working on a couple of presentational ideas that include wording to make SURE the spectator notices the before & after positions. At the same time, I want the patter to make the whole thing feel less like a puzzle. At the very end, the hope is that patrons/guests will tell others.

My outline below is just that: An outline. Don't think of it as complete patter. If you don't know the workings of "Ghost Bills", then what I've written won't give anything away. If you DO know the effect, I think what I've written will be easy-enough for you to follow. By the way, here in Canada, each denomination is a different colour, allowing total contrast.

(introduction)
You look like a fine bunch. Maybe I can get one of you to help me with a little "philosophical" problem I'm having. Now, please note that I said "philosophical", and that I'm not referring to the obvious ""psychological" problems that drove me to become a magician! ... "Phil-o-soph-i-cal" problem.

(folding)
Anyway, let's use these two bills to illustrate things. Please fold this one in-half and then in-half again.
(This vagary will give you time/distraction for you to do your part.)
Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant to fold it this way, and then this way.

(first phase)
Let's say you find yourself stuck "inside" a problem.
(Point to the orientation to emphasize it.)
I mean, at first glance, no matter how you look at it, there's no way out! Then, you think back to "The Little Engine That Could", and you start thinkin', "I THINK I can, I THINK I can", and the next thing you know ... BAM! You did it! You solved the problem! At least ... you THINK you did it. Maybe the problem wasn't as tough as it looked? Maybe you were imagining it?

(second phase)
Then you think, as silly as this might sound, that maybe you'll just go back in, just to have another look. You stand outside the problem, looking in ...
(Show both sides.)
... trying to remember how you got INTO the problem in the first place! You try & try, and you push & pull, and then finally ... You're in!

(third phase)
Now that you're in again, you're reminded of how difficult the problem was in the first place, and you start thinking you really MUST have just IMAGINED that you got out of it the first time! It really IS an impossible problem!
(Slide the vertical over to the folded edge of the horizontal to show it can't escape.)
You figure that NO-ONE is ever going to believe you could solve this problem UNLESS you have a reliable witness. You look honest!
(Show someone how to hold the bill. Do the move.)

(wrap-up)
THERE! You all definitely saw it that time, didn't you?!!! If I try to tell this story, NO-one is going to believe me, but you honest folks all saw it, so I'm gonna need YOU to tell everyone!
That's very good indeed, as an effect like that needs the right wording and presentation to frame the effect. Have you had any good reactions with Ghost bills?
Message: Posted by: Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie (Jan 30, 2005 04:52PM)
[quote]
On 2005-01-30 17:44, jezza wrote:
That's very good indeed, as an effect like that needs the right wording and presentation to frame the effect. Have you had any good reactions with Ghost bills?
[/quote]
Thanks, jezza.
I've tried it three times so far, and the spectators have definitely seen every change. Their responses are immediate & vocal. Since I'm helping them to notice the changes, they react right away... no tentativeness.
Dan.
It's a very good patter can be use in motivational magic..Can I use it? I will aknowledge you anyway.
Message: Posted by: Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie (Feb 1, 2005 08:22PM)
[quote]
On 2005-02-01 05:56, silapmata wrote:
It's a very good patter can be use in motivational magic..Can I use it? I will aknowledge you anyway.
[/quote]
Yes, silapmata, it's fine with me if you use this in a motivational context, with credit. I'm flattered! I'd appreciate your sending me (PM or email) your real name, and, once it's ready, I'd appreciate reading your finalized presentation. If you'd like a hand with it, please just let me know.
Cheers from Toronto!
I think you're onto something here, good luck with it.

Here's a line you might want: "..no matter how you look at it, there's no way out. And people come along and tell you 'helpful' things like 'Try thinking outside the box'. And you tell them, 'If I could be thinking outside the box, I sure wouldn't be stuck thinking in here!' but then you actually decide to try..."