(Close Window)
Topic: New to Sponge Balls
Hi there,

I've always been a cards guy but have decided to pick up sponge balls. I really do know nothing about it except for some simple takes. Can you guys give me some recommendation on good sources? books, dvds, etc? anything else I would need to know? Thanks again!
A good starting point is the "25 tricks with spongeballs" Form Hampton Ridge.
It's pretty inexpensive and gives a few good starting points.

Sorry for the redundancy
I believe it comes in both dvd and booklet? is the material the same in them?
Mine was VHS. Sorry I am not familiar with any other format. I think any magic shop will sell them. They may have a better answer about the material.
See Steve Dacri's routine if at all possible. Much of what I learned about finesse with sponges, I learned from watching his performances.

Dick Stoner has a great stand-up routine on one of his tapes.

A really good resource is Routined Manipulation Finale by Lewis Ganson. It talks about some of the details in doing spongeball work, that are often overlooked.
Also check out Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic. Jon Jensen has two books out specifically devoted to sponge ball magic. Both are good, with effects that are different than the usual fare.
Try to buy Frank Garcia's Encyclopedia of Sponge Magic. It goes regularly on ebay for $200 but is worth every cent.
There is a sponge ball video by patrick page that can be had for like $10

Oh yeah forgot to mention, I beleive you can get it from http://www.magicsupply.com during their half price video sale.
Anything from the exhaustive list at http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/magspong.htm
Garcia is very good, tho' you can get a very very workable routine from Wilsons' Cyclopaedia, the 2 Jensen books, or the Audley Walsh pamphlet.
Rgds - Bruce
Thanks everyone.

as for the gracia material, I found a booklet by him spongeballs... anyone have it or know if it is decent material?
The Frank Garcia booklet is very good. It teaches the necessary sleights and has several full routines.

This should be all you need to get started.

I have seen the 25 Sponge Ball Tricks DVD and was not very impressed. Stick with the booklet.
Message: Posted by: The Great Blackwell (Feb 5, 2005 04:53PM)
[quote]
On 2005-02-01 19:00, Josh Riel wrote:
Sorry for the redundancy

[/quote]
Can you direct me to the Department of Redundancy Department?
Yes, it is over there, there.