(Close Window)
Topic: Mentalism in kids shows???
Do you guys use Mentalism in your shows? If you do, how well do the kids react?
I think it would depend on the ages. It can be difficult to grasp what has happened. Even for adults;-)
I think this has been discussed before. :)

As any case, it is possible to perform mentalism but it has to be for children age 6 and above.

Mentalism requires good script and control to keep the interest level for kids, otherwise, it will seem bored.

If you are interested in mentalism for kids, I felt that Samuel Patrick Smith's list of product does work well for mentalism. They have at least 3-4 mentalism tricks for kids and yet it's baffling for adults.
Animental by Danny Archer.....when they ask you if you can perform for adults also during booking, just think Animental. Use adults and children up to 4 total and perform a miracle.
I sometimes will use mentalism in my show but I usually do it only for family style crowds at like blue and gold dinners and family fun nights. I perform a comedy version of mental epic using no gimmicks. I just use a clipboard and a pen. It is filled with lots of laughs, and me messing up and comedy by-play with the audience. This not only fits my style of performance, but the audience and the children seem to enjoy it much more.

I think if you do mentalism for kids, you still need to use and remember what kids enjoy. You need to have interaction, comedy, good story lines etc. It still applies no matter if doing regular kids magic or mentalism for kids.

Kyle
Thanks for the replies guys!!! Are there any of Samuel Patrick's mentalism tricks that you would recomend?
I think he does have some stuff but I can not recall off the top of my head. He does have an effect called Ghost card which is sort of like a metalism efect where the card the person or child is thinking of suddenly is the only card that has vanished. I am not sure if that is what you are looking for though. I know he has a website so I would reccomend checking it out and searching online as well. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Kyle
THanks Kyle, I'll check out his site and see what I can find.
I think he also puts out a mentalism efect called "Sketch-o-matic" That is a mantalism effect aimed at kids. I Have it but forgot all about it. The kids help you select 3 different hats, eyes and lower part of a face from among a bunch of options. In the end it matches your chosen drawing that has been hanging in an envelope the entire time.

Kyle
What a wonderful service you give to members of this board Kyle. I just love reading your posts.

Wilf.
Many effects can be played as a mental effect, its how you play it, how you plan to do it that makes it into a mental effect or not (most times). Of course if you're doing something with silks or balls etc, its really not going to be suited for a mental type routine.
Wilf: Much thanks for the kind words. I like to help those who want to help themselves. It is my pleasure.

With mentalism for kids, we must make sure that we do not forget the elements of what makes up a good children;s routine and what kids love and react to. When we do our mentalism, let us not forget these rpinciples that have always worked.

Kyle
I am also a second grade teacher. I regularly use magic in my classroom to get the attention of children for learning. They also love to see it, as a reward for good behavior.

So far, I have done about all types of magic for my seven-year-old audience. To my surprise, they absolutely love mentalism. I actually put it off for some time, thinking they wouldn't like or understand it as well. Mentalism is ironically something they like most and something with which they seem most amazed.

I agree that it is also a matter of what type of mentalism you perform for kids. It is best to use very straight-forward tricks which simply involve you guessing something that they have previously chosen. They absolutely LOVE Animental! It is very simple, direct, and very visual. It also works great and best when done for a group, of course. It's always a big hit for me!

Another mentalism trick I have found to be very effective for this age is also very simple. Just make them think you have predicted their choice, through elimination and force, of course. I simply put four or more markers before them, have them pick three, two or whatever, narrowing it down to the one which I have predicted in a folded piece of paper. Whereas most adults will quickly see the elimination process, kids do not. That is simply a concept which is developmentally beyond them, at the age of seven and eight. They will surely think you are nothing short of a true swami! So, I take full advantage of this and easily amaze them everyday. Try it. I think you will find it most effective and most inexpensive.

Developmentally Aware,

Dr. Faust
'Sketch-o-matic', 'What's my job' and 'Critter Knitter' are the mentalism effect from Samuel Patrick Smith. All of them have the same workings.

If you want a 'free' mentalism trick, just find 5 colored cards, or 5 picture cards of the comtemporary cartoons characters and get a duplicate of one of the card as a prediction. Use magician's force and that can be a pretty nice mentalism effect.
I cant imagine a child reacting to a mentalism/ prediction effect... Maybe do the trick in hopes for the parents to like it and be fooled, but for entertainement value for the kids, mentalism is like card tricks which are big nono's. Ask yourself why would you even want to do mentalism for kids in the first place? my 2 cents
There's an old booklet by Walt Hudson that is all about Mentalism for kids>it's long out of print, but one of the used book guys might have one...
Mentalism can indeed work for kids. It is just in the manner of how it is presented to them. If you do a straight forward presentation, then the kids will indeed get bored with it. You must take the mentalism effect and place it and turn it into what works for kids and what kids relate and interact with.

This is why effects like Sammy's Smiths, work so well. He has taken a mentalism effect but has not forgotten that kids love to laugh, giggle and they enjoy stories and using their imagination.

Kyle
My experience has also proven, beyond a doubt, that mentalism can indeed work with kids! I've used it with hundreds of kids! My experience proves that, if done properly, it not only works, but works amazingly well. As a matter of fact, kids love it! My conclusion is that the human mind is amazed with mind reading, and children are no exception.

Sincerely Experience-Based,

Dr. Faust
Eric Leclerc wrote
I cant imagine a child reacting to a mentalism/ prediction effect... Maybe do the trick in hopes for the parents to like it and be fooled, but for entertainement value for the kids, mentalism is like card tricks which are big nono's. Ask yourself why would you even want to do mentalism for kids in the first place? my 2 cents

Hi,
if you check this link
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=41417&forum=37

I think you will realise that mentalism can make for very succesful kids entertainment
Phillip
There is a very useful book by Mentalist Mark Strivings called "Magic for the Young 'Uns" which has a large section on Mentalism effects for kids. I got my copy from Hank Lee or Hocus Pocus.
On this subject: I have just finished that last details of a new kid's mentalism effect called KiDSONIC that may be on interest to you...The kit contains a handheld easel and 5 giant colorful cards. 4 of the cards are of grumpy old men, and one card is of a happy young child. The cards are mixed and putinto the easel and the birthday child (for example), being as lucky as they are on their birthday, will always choose the lucky, happy card, and win a prize.

A Birthday banknight effect is easy with no forces, no gimmicks (just the 5 gaffed cards)...all free choices. Again, the BDC wins the prize.

The instructions also include an easy way to bump up the trick into a rambunctious, fun No-force Chair Prediction for kids. Again, free choices, very direct, no envelopes, etc, just numbers on the chairs. Frees you up for your presentation.

The setup is also very easy to present with safety talks, gospel magic, etc.

The name of theeffect wsill lead yo to its easy methodology, and pics can be seen on Hocus-Pocus. I assume other shops will carry it also.

I hope this effect meets with you approval and that kid's magicians get much use out of it.

The trick

Not to extend this plug too much further, but the trick also comes with an extra card that you use in a No-Smoking thing that you then explain to the kids, then hand out as a freebie for the kids to take home and show the folks at home who smoke. You also get a master Sheet on this one that you can print out on your computer, making the giveaways very inexpensive.

Hope you like it. Kidsonic. A very easy way to add fun mentalism to any show. You get the easel, 5 super full color cards all nicely gaffed, a 6th for the Smoking trick, the Master sheet and full instructions.
Entertainment is the key with mentalism, comedy, bizarre or kid/family shows.

Somewhere in my magic dungeon collection I have an old pamphlet on Mentalism for Kids.

I don't have experience with this area. For years I have been thinking about a ventriloquism routine utilizing mentalism of some type. I want it to start out as being a parody, and then wow them. Probably middle school kids and above. I have been reading things like Theatre of the Mind,(can't remember author) and Psychological Subtleties,(Banaceck) for inspiration and ideas.

Sleightly off topic.

Has anyone gotten the email showing 100 symbols. Then you pick a number 1- 100 .(Say 86) then you add the two digits (8 + 6 =14) and subtract it from your original number 86 - 14 = 72 You look at the symbol associated with your number.(72)

You hit the crystal ball and it shows the symbol...

Very interesting.

If you want a link

write me at

Harris.deutsch@leesummit.k12.mo.us

Be safe, well and entertaining

You are all appreciated by,

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Thanks for that link PBJones... what a great idea!! I could see THAT mentalism routine working for kids.

I still think for entertainement value, the kids would much rather see something dissepear or float than to "reveal their thoughts". Are you saying a whole show on mentalism would work for kids? Cause I don't think so at all. But maybe one or two effects TOPS like the link PB posted would play well..

Ps... what happens after 50 posts?? I am no longer a magic Café virgin?
Eric, Animmental by Danny Archer involves animals. There are four cards with very colorful animals on each. The kid/adult thinks of one of the animals and you tell them which one. With some play it can be a true miracle with both kids and adults.

I don't perform it in all shows but its an excellent filler or strolling effect.

PS: 50 posts allows entry into Secret Sessions.

Dr Faust writes:

Another mentalism trick I have found to be very effective for this age is also very simple. Just make them think you have predicted their choice, through elimination and force, of course. I simply put four or more markers before them, have them pick three, two or whatever, narrowing it down to the one which I have predicted in a folded piece of paper. Whereas most adults will quickly see the elimination process, kids do not.

Dr Faust, are you referring to magicians choice or equivoque? I use this for my adults and have never been busted. Max Maven and many others do also. It works on adults just as well.
One of my puppets does mentalism.

all the kids think of something then the pupppets is going to tell me what they are thinking
after some stonkingly hilarious bits of business I ask 'what are they thinking' and he replies ' they think you're stupid'
not the biggest laugh but it always gets one
Thanks for all the replies guys,I really apperciate it.

Mac Stone