(Close Window)
Topic: Shade
Are they really in the magic castle in that movie?
From what the Extra's say on the DVD, Yes they were. But I guess they could be fibbing.
I don't think they were fibbing. The director talks about it quite a bit. They were pretty happy to be able to use it in the film.

Kevin
But I think the story is pretty messed up. I thought that Dai Vernon was the proffessor.
[quote]
On 2005-02-08 07:02, itexus wrote:
But I think the story is pretty messed up. I thought that Dai Vernon was the proffessor.
[/quote]

yeah they just wanted to use the name
I think the character of "The Professor" is more of an homage to the late great Dai Vernon, rather than them just wanting to use the name. So I see that as an honor to the greats and not messed up at all. I mean, evey person in that film was named after a famous magician. Charlie Miller, Scarne, Jennings, etc...

And yes, that was the real Magic Castle.
Ok, cool... :)
Anyone have a review for the movie?
It is a great movie.
It's certainly a movie a magician would enjoy. Lots of card moves, and references to the magic community. It's a fun movie to watch. Not the greatest plot or acting, but I certainly don't mind having it in my collection.

Kevin
Production quality was good. However,some actors need more workshops (acting practices), and the storyline should be clearer.

Some laymen wouldn't appreciate the movie if they don't know the charaters in it, but as a magician myself, I enjoyed it.
Plus the look inside the magic castle was great.
It is entertaining. The acting is not bad and Jamie Fox does a great job. A lot of the characters are two-dimensional, but most of the major players in the film are interesting. The plot is rather predictable but fun to watch. There are lots of hidden and not so hidden references in the movie, some of which are discussed on the commentary on the DVD. My wife enjoyed the film too. What was impressive was that the actors took it upon themselves to learn a many moves as possible. It is worth watching.

I picked up a copy at Best Buy for like $6.
For a magician or gambler, this movie is worth buying and watching at least twice, then have it on your shelf to loan to friends who like this sort of stuff.
It is great to see some castle interiors and some of the castle regulars in supporting roles (wasnt McComb in it?)

I rate it Two Vernet Thumb Tips Up.

Magically Thine,

Scott Alcalay
I thought the plot was very good , and id recomend it to any magician.

ollie
I think I'm retarded. because I just watched this movie again the other day and finally realized that all the characters are names of magicians.
Hi guys,

I'm happy you guys liked the movie.
I just bought that from ebay for 5 bucks I think the other day.
Can't wait for it to arrive :)

Philip
I still haven't seen this one.....maybe it'll still be playing on HBO and I can TIVO it. Heheh.
I haven't seen it yet, either...so I just bought it used from Amazon for less than $7.00 including shipping!
Wow 5 bucks is a bargain!

Its a wonderful show. Hope you enjoy it!

cheerios
Remember when vernon show his move to the first gambler victim??the ace discovery..it can be done with a stripper card easyly..i think to those who has some knowledge in magic this movie is fun..u can really enjoy all the moves and understand them as well..not reccomended for people who has no knowledge at all as they will go like that's ********..it cant be done..just another ******** movie..u know!
It is odd, it is this movie that sparked my interest into magic. I believe I downloaded a few videos off of kazaa. That only led to me buying The Art of Card Manipulation vols 1 and 2. Now, I just can't get enough.
Of course they're in the Magic Castle.
I was in the area when they filmed the movie.
All the best,
Michael
Hi,

I just finished watching this movie and really liked it a lot.
There are surely lots of cool moves, mostly visual changes and some deals.
But I think it's really good!
I'm gonna watch it a second time!
Do you guys know of any similar movies?
I'm really interested in these movies :)

Philip
I love this movie, but it makes me soooo angry! Watching that actor (forgot his name) deal 2nds and bottoms beautifully when I can't even come close is irritating. I've been working on it for quite a while, but I won't be performing any routines with those moves for quite some time.
^^^Stuart Townsend?
^^^That's the guy.

I know he had the advantage of some expert coaches, but he makes it look so effortless (that IS the point). I struggle just to keep the cards looking natural and my hands look crazy. If I keep my hands looking natural, I drop half the deck!

It's a vicious cycle.
[quote]Remember when vernon show his move to the first gambler victim??the ace discovery..[/quote]

Actually he starts out with an ace production called The Ripper that leads to the ace discovery. Check out the link below for more info on The Ripper.

http://www.leeasher.com/shade.htm
[quote]
On 2005-03-07 16:22, Corey Harris wrote:
I think I'm retarded. because I just watched this movie again the other day and finally realized that all the characters are names of magicians.
[/quote]
LOL Me too....
I'm hoping they make the prequel. They kept making references to a series of events that led up to this movie.
I would say it is visualy.. plus remember they taught stuart townsend most of the mechanics.. they had a who cast of extras to help with some of the tricks and lingo as well.. And yes they were at the castle..
[quote]
On 2005-03-21 10:31, BerkleyJL wrote:
I love this movie, but it makes me soooo angry! Watching that actor (forgot his name) deal 2nds and bottoms beautifully when I can't even come close is irritating. I've been working on it for quite a while, but I won't be performing any routines with those moves for quite some time.
[/quote]

I'm not too sure that Stuart Townsend actually did learn seconds and bottoms for his role. Considering it was a movie...they could've easily switched the deck at any time with a stacked deck to make it look like he was second dealing or bottom dealing. I don't think he could've learned those moves that flawlessly in the amount of time they had to film the movie. According to the commentary, he did actually learn many sleights and controls for the movie, but most likely they were just some simple controls and false cuts/shuffles. Considering from the commentary it took him a while to perfect the Ace Production routine and the one actually in the movie was the one time he did it flawlessly, I seriously doubt an actor would jump right in with seconds and bottoms when becoming involved with magic for the first time.

I also can't believe no one mentioned Stallone yet. One of hollywood's biggest names had to actually sit down and practice card sleights and shuffling techniques to look like a real gamlbing pro. Way to go, Sly!

-Eric D.