(Close Window)
Topic: Are there any well known female mentalists?....
....I've never heard mention of any?
Tessa Evason is probably one of the best female Mentalists today.

~Rick~
I've always felt that there is a strong feminist side to 'salsadancer'.
But I'd really need to spend some time with him to be sure.
LOL. Hi Bobser, I've read a few of your posts....so why am I not surprised by your "light hearted" response!...;) especially considering the subject matter.

It was supposed to be a serious question!! Not sure how Salsa will take it!? :heehee:

Ok...bring it on guys :bg: - I can take it ;)..I think??
I'm sure Salsa will take it very well.
But you're right, there aren't that many female mentalists.
One woman suggested to me that mentalists, whether they admitted it or not, were actually quite 'anal', and therefore were attracted to the possibility of having power over others. Something women, she claimed, weren't as obsessed with.
Again it made me think about 'Salsadancer', and how he likes to 'birl' people around when he's dancing with them.
Coincidence???
Bobser wrote:-

[quote] One woman suggested to me that mentalists, whether they admitted it or not, were actually quite 'anal', and therefore were attracted to the possibility of having power over others. [/quote]

...Hmmm, I guess that could be true of 'some' mentalists...

Bobser:- [quote] Something women, she claimed, weren't as obsessed with. [/quote]

...totally untrue!! :)
Anyone who has seen Frances Willard perform knows that she must be mentioned on this thread.
[quote]
On 2005-02-12 08:45, bobser wrote:
I've always felt that there is a strong feminist side to 'salsadancer'.
But I'd really need to spend some time with him to be sure.
[/quote]
You are not wrong. I have no issues with being in touch with my feminine side unlike oor bobser. I hear he is a bit of an [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/littlebritain/characters/characters7.shtml]Emily Howard[/url]

Besides the ladies like a strong man that can smell good too ;)
Well, as far as cold reading goes, Miss Cleo got her fair share of publicity. :D Too bad she wasn't exactly a mentalist.

Hmm, not many female magicians OR mentalists... why? The world may never know. The girls just don't know what they're missing. :)

Angela
[quote]
On 2005-02-12 11:54, Angela wrote:

Hmm, not many female magicians OR mentalists... why? The world may never know. The girls just don't know what they're missing. :)

Angela
[/quote]
Because it is a male geek dominated society. Therefore when a female appears she will most likely be swarmed on by attention seeking males keen to impress with their tales of bravado and masculinity.

Why very few female mentalists? Well you can imagine the scene at the local magic club

'Please write your thoughts on this piece of paper... on second thoughts I don't need it to know what you are thinking. Here is a bar of soap, go and wash your unique odour off please...'
[quote]
On 2005-02-12 12:33, salsa_dancer wrote:

Because it is a male geek dominated society. Therefore when a female appears she will most likely be swarmed on by attention seeking males keen to impress with their tales of bravado and masculinity.
[/quote]
Don't listen to him Angela, I hear he's a 'little light on his feet'. You should see the size of my Buschy Billet...fnar fnar..

Joking aside, I think this point can be proved by a quick look through the responses to Anabelle everytime she posts.. its very sad.. but, you really should see me handling my Buschy billet...
[quote] salsa_dancer wrote:

Why very few female mentalists? Well you can imagine the scene at the local magic club

'Please write your thoughts on this piece of paper... on second thoughts I don't need it to know what you are thinking. Here is a bar of soap, go and wash your unique odour off please...'
[/quote]
Lol...Salsa, sadly you are right....and Craig Leonard has just proved it!...BTW - I'm glad to hear you're in touch with your feminine side...it takes a real man to admit that!...

..and Craig, yes, I've also noticed that with Anabelles' posts - all I can say is good for her...she keeps posting!

Joking aside...I am interested to hear of any well known female mentalists. My curiosity stems from the fact it must be a lot harder for women to achieve success in what is usually accepted to be a Male dominated field.
Sue, of Brian & Sue, kicks some major butt when it comes to NW, book tests, code acts, georgia magnet stuff and her blindfold routines.
Greg
Please excuse my complete ignorance, but who are Brian & Sue?
Okay, you guys are right. And poor sweetheart Anabelle!

I'm sure you've never heard about the guy whose magic watch told him that I wasn't wearing any underwear. Of course I was wearing underwear, which made him claim that his magic watch must be ten minutes fast.

Take it easy, guys.
You should've stopped it.

It seems that the women being mentioned here are part of a 'double-act' with a man - isn't this just a variation of the traditional magicians assistant?
[quote]
On 2005-02-12 14:33, Craig Leonard wrote:
Please excuse my complete ignorance, but who are Brian & Sue?
[/quote]

That's Brian Gillis & Sisuephan aka Sue... check out their promo video at their website: http://www.gillismagic.com
They have one of the best code acts around... plus being just about the nicest people you will ever meet.
Greg
[quote]
On 2005-02-12 14:57, Angela wrote:

I'm sure you've never heard about the guy whose magic watch told him that I wasn't wearing any underwear. Of course I was wearing underwear, which made him claim that his magic watch must be ten minutes fast.

Take it easy, guys.
[/quote]
Bwahahahaha! That patter probably came with his pack of 'How to seduce girls with magic'

The problem with magicians is that we spend most of our 'informative' years practicing magic, and if not careful you miss out on the fun stuff in life ;)

This also leads to many failing to gain a personality outside of the patter packet.

Fortunately for me I am good looking, intelligent, charming and I dance like a God.
It seems that women would have a character more natural with mentalism. As far as performing mentalism being a masculine control thing, that's a theme in a character that I suppose some people use as a through-line. But I think there's a character theme as well that some use that has a "receptive" or "summissive" quality to it--qualities typically associated with femininity.

It's a theme were you are not in control of the power and you are the conduit for the power which "may or may not work" (how many of us use that line!?)

Psychics have often been assoicated with women. I can't see why more women wouldn't be in the mentalism venue--character-wise, they probably have an unique advantage.
From what I remember of the past 50 years, there have been a LOT of women mentalists. Most of 'em don't call themselves "mentalists." They call themselves psychics, palm readers, tarot readers, fortunetellers, and network television programmers.

It might just as well be asked why there aren't more women as comic book artists, landscapers, technical writers, computer programmers, mathematicians, et al. The answer always comes back to "I don't know."

Which is a TERRIBLE thing for a mentalist to admit!

*jeep!
--Chet
Tessa Evason, Francis Wilard and, at one time Paula Panda all were forces to be reckoned with. Cheri Soleil is another, though she tends towards the bizarre more than "straight" mentalism, if I recall correctly. And does a pretty good hyp act, at last report, though I haven't seen it, so can't speak to it directly.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
She's long dead of course but Anna Eva Fay deserves a mention.
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take it easy, guys.

[quote] Salsa wrote: Bwahahahaha! That patter probably came with his pack of 'How to seduce girls with magic'

The problem with magicians is that we spend most of our 'informative' years practicing magic, and if not careful you miss out on the fun stuff in life

This also leads to many failing to gain a personality outside of the patter packet. [/quote]

Hmmm...could'nt have put it better myself..that's so true IMO...I'm definitely warming to you Salsa.

Angela...I find your comment curious? - "Okay, you guys are right. And poor sweetheart Anabelle!"....sounds a might patronising to me coming from one woman about another! I'm not sure that kind of comment is conducive to women being taken "seriously" in the art of mentalism - just my thoughts... :)

[quote] mormonyoyoman wote: It might just as well be asked why there aren't more women as comic book artists, landscapers, technical writers, computer programmers, mathematicians, et al. The answer always comes back to "I don't know." [/quote]

True.....but I was curious to know about female mentalists...
[quote]
On 2005-02-14 23:13, ChEeKy_MoNkEy wrote:
And poor sweetheart Anabelle!"....sounds a might patronising to me coming from one woman about another! [/quote]

Don't read so far into it; it's not meant to be condescending at all. Anabelle really is a sweet girl, and she's out there doing a wonderful job of marketing Mohana.
[QUOTE] on 2005-02-17 8.21 Angela wrote:
Don't read so far into it; it's not meant to be condescending at all. Anabelle really is a sweet girl, and she's out there doing a wonderful job of marketing Mohana. [/QUPTE]

I don't think I was "reading so far into it", in fact that comment in itself sounds slightly patronising! I merely took your comments at face value. That's my point. You came across as being flip and somewhat patronising. Maybe you did'nt intend to? :) I mean I'm not a mind reader.....oops, sorry that's what I'm supposed to be..or at least aspiring to be.

[quote] on 2005-02-12 14.57 Angela wrote I'm sure you've never heard about the guy whose magic watch told him that I wasn't wearing any underwear. Of course I was wearing underwear, which made him claim that his magic watch must be ten minutes fast. [/quote]

When I said "I'm not sure that kind of comment is conducive to women being taken "seriously" in the art of mentalism - just my thoughts...".

It was aimed at your above comment as well....not just your remarks about Anabelle!

BTW, I'm sure Anabelle really is a sweet girl (although I don't know her). If you notice in an earlier post I made, I actually said in response to Craig Leonards comments - "all I can say is good for her....she keeps posting!"
[quote]

Take it easy, guys.
[/quote]
Bwahahahaha! That patter probably came with his pack of 'How to seduce girls with magic'

[/quote]

it sounds to me like its from jay sankeys dvd, firestarters

ollie