(Close Window)
Topic: Best Sounding Brass Cups
I am looking for a set of brass Cups (and balls). There are many out there to choose from, and so I asked myself what exactly is it that is most important to me in a brass set. The answer is "the way they sound".

I have Morrissey copper and aluminum sets, and a set of Sherwood Copper cups (so I probably won't be interested in a set of brass Sherwoods).

Apparently, RNT2 brass Monti Cups are no longer available. Have also looked at Johnson, RNT2 Foxy 2 brass. Of course, I cannot hear them or any others over the net, and wanted some feedback from the Café!

Thanks,
The Brass Johnson cups sound very good and ring a long time.
The Van Dokkum brass cups have a wonderful sound. Paul Gertner purchased a set of the brass jumbo cups at the IBM convention last year. They are expensive, but darn well worth it.

The RnT II spun brass Monti cups also have a nice sound. The best in spun cups is probably the steel Monti cups. They were also called "The Bells of St. Mary's."

I think Mike plans to reissue these in the near future.

Now, I think I'll go back and play something on my cups!
Well Mike just can't keep a secret :)

We're spinning 10 sets only of the "Bells of St. Mary" Release date will be sometime in March.
Need a set of Johnson Cups to hear them ring? Check [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=105011&forum=76&0]here[/url].

Yours,

Paul
Hmmm my Johnson cups- only set I ever had to buy!!!

Matt Tomasko
Sorry, the link in my message doesn't work now, the cups sold.

Yours,

Paul
[quote]
On 2005-02-16 14:37, Bill Palmer wrote:

The RnT II spun brass Monti cups also have a nice sound. The best in spun cups is probably the steel Monti cups. They were also called "The Bells of St. Mary's."

[/quote]

[quote]
On 2005-02-16 23:25, Mad Jake wrote:

We're spinning 10 sets only of the "Bells of St. Mary" Release date will be sometime in March.
[/quote]

These have been reissued on RnT II's website today and are selling for $350.00

None of the copper cups are ever going to ring well simply because of the properties of the metal. Brass cups will ring - especially if they're nice and thick (like brass Sherwoods).

Richard
The Van Dokkum brass cups are great... I got them they'are very nice!
JOhnson's ring best.
That's good to know, as I just purchased the Johnson's that Dr. Wilson so kindly offered!

Pete, you said that Johnson's ring best. I got the cups today, and could not believe they actually sounded like a real bell - just beautiful. I just thought that Johnson's sounded closest to a bell.

One of the cups is pitched lower than the other two, so it will be fun to conclude with a nice ding-dong!
[quote]
On 2005-02-24 14:01, taliesin wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-02-16 14:37, Bill Palmer wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]
On 2005-02-16 23:25, Mad Jake wrote:

[/quote]

These have been reissued on RnT II's website today and are selling for $350.00

None of the copper cups are ever going to ring well simply because of the properties of the metal. Brass cups will ring - especially if they're nice and thick (like brass Sherwoods).

Richard
[/quote]

You have to realize that there is a very big lag time between advertising a cup on the web site and actually getting it into the hands of the customers. For example, the Miniature Paul Fox style cups were first advertised on the RnT 2 web site three weeks ago. It took that long before they were in the hands of any customers.

The Bells of St. Mary are about two weeks from delivery...I think.

I started tapping on some of my cups this evening. The Johnson cups do have a nice ring. The RnT2 brass monti cups have a similar ring. The Rings and Things Church Bronze have a better ring than either of those. The metal they are made of is very similar to bell metal.

The van Dokkum stainless cups have an interesting series of notes. The standard cup is pitched higher than the Johnson cups. The Jumbos are lower than the standards. But the monster cups have the best sound of all the van Dokkums I have, much better than the Johnson cups.

I was surprised at how well the Rings and Things copper Monti cups did. The alloy is probably work hardened from the spinning process. The steel cups were excellent, as I remembered. The best sounding standard sized cup was the silver Monti cup. It rang more clearly than the Johnson cups.

I wish I had a set of van Dokkum brass Jumbo cups. They sound just like a big bell, a lower pitch than the Johnson cups, if memory serves.
Bill, why don't you label each of your cups with the note it plays (A-flat, C#, G-natural, etc...), line them up in the correct order and play a song.

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, on the Singing Cups....Bill Palmer!!!!"

Wonder what songs might be appropriate...?
Trouble is that most of them are not tuned to a pitch that is a definite key. Most of them fall "in the cracks."

But I guess I could learn "Whole Load of Shakin' Goin' On."

Or "Let's Have Another Cup of Coffee."

Or not.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, I only play tunes on Friday or Saturday nights, when I'm 'in my cups'!" (cue rimshot).
Can you tune the cups to the right note by putting water in them, as in a glass harmonica? I know we are not talking about something that is practical for a cups and balls routine, I'm just thinking of Bill Palmer getting booked as the opening act for the Super Bowl by playing the Star Spangled Banner on some cups from his collection.

Yours,

Paul
[quote]
On 2005-03-04 09:41, drwilson wrote:
Can you tune the cups to the right note by putting water in them, as in a glass harmonica? I know we are not talking about something that is practical for a cups and balls routine, I'm just thinking of Bill Palmer getting booked as the opening act for the Super Bowl by playing the Star Spangled Banner on some cups from his collection.

Yours,

Paul
[/quote]

Let's pray there's no "Wardrobe Malfunction" during his performance!
I don't think you could do the glass harmonica bit with metal cups. For one thing, you need some vinegar in the water, and that would cause corrosion in some of the cups.

But there is a similar technique used in Tibet with the singing bowls. That might work. It uses a wooden rubbing rod.

When you are my size, wardrobe malfunctions are the things of nightmares.