(Close Window)
Topic: Jumbo- Invisible deck!!
Greetings Members-

After many years using this as a close up item etc to great effect

I am thinking of using the larger version in my Cabaret/Stage shows as a fill in item between feature effects etc

Does anybody use this on stage??-Appreciate any comments

Any special presentations needed for stage & are the reactions recieved as good etc

For many years Ive heard if a small effect works well -try & adapt for stage etc

This seems like the time!

Appreciate any advice

Thanks for your time
I use the regular sized version on stage with no problem. It gets great reactions because of the presentation I use. I wouldn't be opposed to using the jumbo I.D. entirely, but I think the audience is more likely to think of it as a trick deck since it's obviously not a deck you would see normally.

Caleb
I have used the jumbo on stage but agree with Caleb. There is just no need. Plus on an elevated stage there is the increased chance of flashing.

To me it's wiser to stick to a regular deck for this one and use the excuse of moving to jumbo cards as an opportunity to switch decks.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Perhaps just use jumbo index's in normal cards?

ollie
I have done this for a crowd of 700 and it worked using a reg size deck. I guess its because I got volunteers from every possible side of the theater. The person in front gets to hold the pack from the start for all to see. I then toss a ball etc....... One person thinks of a color.... suit....number.....etc... I then ask the person with the deck sill up in the air to come up the stage. Of course there are bits of comedy in the routine.

Rannie
[quote]
On 2005-02-24 11:41, rannie wrote:
I have done this for a crowd of 700 and it worked using a reg size deck. I guess its because I got volunteers from every possible side of the theater. The person in front gets to hold the pack from the start for all to see. I then toss a ball etc....... One person thinks of a color.... suit....number.....etc... I then ask the person with the deck sill up in the air to come up the stage. Of course there are bits of comedy in the routine.

Rannie

[/quote]

Definite food for thought!!-Thanks for the ideas- much appreciated!!

Routine sound really good & lots of fun!!

Bob-

Switching the deck-I had not thought of that!

The reason Im Thinking of the Jumbo Deck is mainly due to the size of the crowds I perform in front of-80% large auditoriums & theatres-I work with a stage hypnotist with a combined show so we get quite large crowds& I thought this effect would be a very good filler in between Illusions etc

Thanks for the tips!!
Just make sure you involve as many of the audience as possible, to reduce flashing, simply get the spectator to stand infront of you then fan the cards out vertically infront of you at chest height. Then they can see the fronts of the cards and you can easily spot the card they have named and split the deck at the appropriate place.

P.S. http://www.davenportsmagic.co.uk sell ready made jumbo decks.
I used a jumbo sized deck for awhile. Most people in the show standing behind me thought that I alwalys got the card wrong because of what they could see.One day someone said don't worry you were only off by one.I didn't know what they meant.
Mustang-

Good advice-Thanks!!

I will use as many spectators as poss & watch the angles !
I just use an ID made of PVC cards, in bridge size. I have no trouble with the audience grasping the effect, no matter how large. The smaller cards make it easier to hide bad angles. Jumbos are harder to spread, making it a little harder to control the deck.
After reading this, I went back to my box of Jumbo IDs and played with them about two minutes before I realized what I like least about using Jumbos for this trick. The cards are so thick and so stiff that handling looks "clunky". Regular cards bend. That is significant for a "natural" discovery of the reversed card.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Paul Green has a GREAT lead in to the invisible deck that I am now using all of the time at the bar in my restaurant. It uses 3 jumbo cards and is absolutely fantastic. It can easily be done on stage. The cards are made of plastic with bicycle stock so they will last you. Thanks again Paul!
Bryan
I use a jumbo id all of the time. It's especially good on television and for large groups. I make the volunteer a winner of $5.00 each time out. Instead of making them lose, because I knew what he or she was going to choose, out of the 52 cards. Go to my website and click on the preview button, then click on the television spot, to watch the reporter's reaction to it's use.
http://www.magicofreyrey.com
As a compromise, the Anglo 'jumbo' cards are nice to use. They're not as big as Bicycle jumbos, but bigger than Poker. Their large index makes them very visible, yet they're small enough to perform many standard card sleights. I only have a few (for a Homing Card routine), but the oens I have are of a reasonable quality.

Take a look at http://www.el-duco.se/ under "Stage & Parlour Magic".

Ian
R2,

Like your site.

I like your idea of making winners of your volunteers too!

Take care and let me hear from you sometime.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Yes the biggest drawback would have to be the thickness of the cards. Don't let audience members get too close a look at them or you'll be burnt bad.
Thank you Brother Bod...I mean Bob! If you don't use the ID in some capacity or another, you are missing out!~r2
Couple of years ago I thought I wanted to use a Jumbo ID and bought one. With the jumbo deck it's just just way to clumsy. I even purchased a jumbo card drawer box to make 'em appear. - DeW
[quote]
twistedace wrote:
Paul Green has a GREAT lead in to the invisible deck that I am now using all of the time at the bar in my restaurant. It uses 3 jumbo cards and is absolutely fantastic. It can easily be done on stage. The cards are made of plastic with bicycle stock so they will last you. Thanks again Paul!
Bryan
[/quote]

Thanks Bryan,

This is my routine "I Knew It All the Time". It is on my Classic Force DVD and is available from me directly at my lectures. It has proven to be a great routine for me. If you would like more info, please contact me directly.

Regards,

Paul Green
paulgreen@earthlink.net
[quote]
On 2005-03-01 11:59, R2 wrote:
Thank you Brother Bod...I mean Bob! If you don't use the ID in some capacity or another, you are missing out!~r2
[/quote]

R2,

I always have a miniture ID in my coat breast pocket. When I am put on the spot to do a trick in the wrong place, down my coat sleeve it goes and on with the show!

(But I've only been doing that since the 60s.)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Both things will work fine.
[quote]
On 2005-03-01 10:02, R2 wrote:
I use a jumbo id all of the time. It's especially good on television and for large groups. I make the volunteer a winner of $5.00 each time out. Instead of making them lose, because I knew what he or she was going to choose, out of the 52 cards. Go to my website and click on the preview button, then click on the television spot, to watch the reporter's reaction to it's use.
http://www.magicofreyrey.com
[/quote]

R2-

Thanks for the advice-great website!!

I like you have no problem with Jumbo cards-find them very easy to use!!

Nothing a bit of practice doesn't fix!-Having done both ID on stage -small deck & Jumbo-The Jumbo version is so much better for presentation & audience can see a lot better-audience reaction is so far much stronger

Thanks to all the great routines supplied by members- ID maybe an older effect but for a lay audience it still is very strong entertainment

Cheers!!!!
Thank you so kindly for your remarks about my site ABM!