(Close Window)
Topic: Blue Print Design Software
Hello Folks,

Im looking for the most suitable software for using to design illusions, complete with blue prints, and hopefully 3D drawings of the actual illusion itself.

The cheaper the better, but, I suppose you never can put a price on good design!

Any suggestions as to where to look?

Thanks,
MM
There have been a couple of threads on this before, right here in the Workshop section. You can try doing a search, or just scroll down a few pages.

Now, without knowing anything about your level of expertise in designing illusions, wood and metal construction, drafting techniques, and long-term goals, I'll say that there are several good packages out there. One of the most reasonable, which gives you some 3D capability, is TurboCAD, put out by IMSI Soft. You can do a Google search for their Web site and probably download a demo version. Now and then you can also find inexpensive packages at Best Buy, Office Max, and similar stores.
Thanks,

I've decided to give AutoCAD a shot.

I've used it briefly in the past and have a basic understanding. Hopefully I can expand my knowledge and come up with some designs that are half decent.

Best,
MM
Microsoft Visio is a drawing package based on the green plastic drawing templates of the past. Rather than require the user to have excellent drawing skills, the user selects pre-drawn shapes from a template and drags them to the drawing. Easy with great results. Many stencils or templates are available to suit your needs.

Andre Le Magicien
Quebec Canada
Excuse my French...
I find that Rhino 3d works great. ( htt://www.rhino3d.com ) I love how I can not only design and color my illusion but I can also take fly-by video clips and my personal favourite

!!LIGHTING!!

I do a lot of technical design work for theatre companies and this is the best tool I have.

-Chris.
Chris--

How's Rhino at exporting files (say to AutoCAD via .dxf or something similar) to create actual shop drawings? I've only played with a couple of the 3D packages, but so far it seems more efficient to do the design in AutoCAD and export it to a 3D package for rendering, instead of the other way around. I do a lot of theatrical work too, and this seems to be the biggest hang-up. Thanks.
I use AutoCad with Mechanical Desktop. I create a 3-D model and use it to create the 3 views I want for final dimensioning, this is faster than creating the 3 views manually in 2-D.

Another package worth considering is Inventor, also from AutoDesk.

Bill
I do my entire design in Rhino. It is a lot like Auto CAD but easier. Unfortunetely we just formatted our computer and I haven't had the time to put Rhino back on yet. I will put it on tonight and PM you which formats you can export to. If I recall correctly you can export a file so it can be opened in AUto CAD and vice-versa.

Personally, I do the whole works with Rhino. I can render the 3d image (which always looks GREAT. I find the rendering to be awesome) or I can print the top, right, and front views to use for blueprints.

I'm sure the Rhino website has some information reguarding file formats.

-Chris.
Has anyone out there been running Inventor for awhile. I would love some feed back.
Owen
Message: Posted by: The Mirror Images (Apr 16, 2005 01:03AM)
What is inventor??? Never heard of it.

Solid works is a cool program that I use. More for the real IN-DEPTH machanical parts for certain illusions. You first create everything in 3-d then it automatically puts it into a blueprint....and if you change anything in the blue-print it will change it in the 3-d view.

Michael
An interesting package is Sketchup, available from http://www.sketchup.com. It's really more for quick visualization, but it's very easy to use and exports to AutoCAD just fine. Last I heard, you can download a trial version free, and it comes with a tutorial.