(Close Window)
Topic: Out Of This World trick?
I've seen this trick being referenced a few times, like in Derren Brown's book for example. It seems to me that just about everybody thinks the world of this trick.

Can somebody please explain the effect, and direct me to a possible resource so that I could learn the trick?
There are many versions of this effect. The original is by Paul Curry. My favorite is by Paul Harris and is called, simply, Galaxy. I believe it's in his book "The Art of Astonishment"-- I got it from one of his tapes.

Google "Out of this world" and you'll find lots of references, I'm sure.

The basic effect is that a spectator takes a deck of cards and, with a little assistance from you, is able to deal all the red cards in one pile and all the black cards in another -- without looking at the faces, of course.
Or you can get A New World by Michael Webber and Dean Dill which is the most cleanest version of Out of this World
It's been exposed quite a lot as it's basically self working and quite a wow effect if done well, so a few layman have it as a party piece. I you want to be able to perform it, PM me Metwin (or anyone else) and I'll tell you the method :)
Using ten cards of each colour and the four aces and leader cards is probably the way to do it. It's quicker and doesn't detract from the effect at all.
Going through an entire deck is a bit too much.
I agree the whole deck is a bit much, but it's not too bad one on one like that as the spectator is involved the whole time. If you use a small number of cards then it could have happened by chance so a larger number has a certain punch.
[quote]
On 2005-02-26 15:23, h_A_Z wrote:
Or you can get A New World by Michael Webber and Dean Dill which is the most cleanest version of Out of this World
[/quote]

how does this differ from the original?
I haven't seen it, but from what I hear, it's a gaffed deck.
The original Paul Curry version is in the recent book "Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond." Paul Harris' "Galaxy" and Daryl's "Out of This Hemisphere" are two popular variations that I use often and have gotten great response from.

I'm still practicing with the new Weber and Dill "A New World." As you can see there are many options to this brilliant effect.
You'll also find a version in Paul Clive's book. There's lots of choice.
I have the Weber and Dill effect. It requires a fair amount of practice--mostly regarding your handling of the cards. But once you have it down, it will be pretty amazing. I don't have it down to a science yet, but I'm practicing. The cool thing about this trick is that the effect happens right in the spec's hands. It is somewhat examinable, but not 100%. Those of you who own the trick know what I'm talking about.
There are many good versions of this trick. Learn the original, so a good grasp of it is had and then move onto the other versions and pick one that fits you.
I have been doing the original with touches from UF grant's Nu way out of this world....

cheap and gets a great reaction every single time !!!!!
I have never thought much of OOTW. I have always found it long-winded and boring. However, I did like the variation "Galaxy" by Paul Harris. That one seemed to have the "oomph!" that it deserves.
I use this and got great results. Of course I shuffle the deck first :)
For someone just starting out I would say that the best Out of This World, or at least the easiest to learn would be Bob Longe's version. He's easy to find as he seems to be the standard reference (at least the easiest to find) for beginners in card magic. Check it out. It doesn't require any sleights or preparation so that is a definite bonus.
[quote]
On 2005-03-01 03:40, Grimm wrote:
For someone just starting out I would say that the best Out of This World, or at least the easiest to learn would be Bob Longe's version. He's easy to find as he seems to be the standard reference (at least the easiest to find) for beginners in card magic. Check it out. It doesn't require any sleights or preparation so that is a definite bonus.
[/quote]

Where can I find Bob Longe's version? Thanks,
Hirase
Bob Longe's version can be found in a thin paperback book called "World's Greatest Card Tricks." I don't know if the book is in the public domain or not, but I think I've seen it for sale at Barnes and Noble near "Magic for Dummies" and "The Idiot's Guide to Magic" and a Blaine book that also contained something about OOTW. I can't remember clearly, and it might have been a used book store where I picked up a copy.

alan
I've written here before about the version I learned from John Kennedy. It basically turns the OOTW plot inside out. You don't have to use the entire deck, just as much as necessary to prove your (their) ability to discern red from black.

If it's published anywhere, I've yet to find it.
Are hundreds and hundreds of versions and improvements of "OUT OF THIS WORLD".
Ones good, others bad....

In the fantastic colection books "MISDIRECTION" (Richard Marré / Spanish - year 1965), in page 302 up to 311, are besides de Paul Curry original routine the others greats versions by ASCANIO, CHANNING POLLOCK, BEEBE, WILSON and HARRY LORAYNE.

Wonderful versions !!!

KARDINI
Brazil
Bob Longe's version "Get Out of this World" is in his [i]Giant Book of Card Tricks[/i]. The Giant book is for absolute beginners, and does an excellent job of getting you from nowhere a little ways down the road of card magic.

john
I think the method of John Kennedy was published in Genii Magazine (some years ago). Dean Dill republished it in the instructions of A New World.
This is going to be the ultimate version, due for release on the 15th March. Video download format. Check out the thread. You will need at least 50 posts to view this. The conditions are almost unbelievable and requires no sleight at all and little practise.

[url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=100557&forum=37&134&PHPSESSID=aefb9fb49ade694a5e6b0693e13f4667]Click Here![/url]
As well as all these, have a look at Harry Lorayne's "Out of this universe" and Steve Draun's "Worldly things".
Are their any impromptu versions of Out of this world?
Daaaave: Bob Longe's version is impromptu and very simple in its handling.

John
[quote]
On 2005-03-01 19:38, Alan Wheeler wrote:
Bob Longe's version can be found in a thin paperback book called "World's Greatest Card Tricks." I don't know if the book is in the public domain or not, but I think I've seen it for sale at Barnes and Noble near "Magic for Dummies" and "The Idiot's Guide to Magic" and a Blaine book that also contained something about OOTW. I can't remember clearly, and it might have been a used book store where I picked up a copy.

alan
[/quote]

Actually, I think it's in "World's BEST Card Tricks," not "Greatest." Bob Longe has authored a lot of books with similar titles ("Best," "Greatest," "Great," etc.), so that it's kind of confusing remembering what's in which book. They are, indeed, often found in general-interest bookstores, in the "Games" section, but they have a lot of good magic in them.

Paul Curry's book "Magician's Magic" has a version of the original OOTW, and it's out in a new reprint by Dover Publications -- as usual with Dover, a really good bargain.

Another good source is a booklet called "Out of This World and Beyond," published by Curry in the 1970's. I think it's still available, very inexpensively. In this booklet, Curry collects the best variations on OOTW that he knew of at that time -- there are LOTS of them! -- in one place. Several of the versions here are impromptu, including U.F. Grant's NuWay Out of This World. This is my favorite book for OOTW.

And, the Trickshop has just come out with a downloadable file on OOTW, which I haven't seen but which is also inexpensive. So, there are many sources for finding out about this classic.
Just downloaded the trickshop version - nice. The instructions are clear and it has a new twist to the original. ~MagicAl
Anybody know where to get Daryl's out of this hemisphere?

Also there was a version by the Café's own Sir Hugo that I was interested in.