(Close Window)
Topic: How many of us are out there worldwide?
Message: Posted by: magicman02 (Feb 27, 2005 01:29AM)
I am curious, how many magicians/mentalist do you think there are worldwide? What I am saying is how many people practice the art of magic worldwide? I am not counting people who know 1-2 card tricks, but know and understand the theory, history, and art of magic. Magic Magazine has about 12,000+ subscribers and so does Genii, so I am guessing out of 6 billion people, only 50,000 or less know the art of magic, that is less then 1%. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.
Message: Posted by: Slim King (Feb 27, 2005 03:08AM)
You are right. it is less than 1%. It's actually less tha 1/100 of a percent if my math is correct. Maybe 1/1000 of a percent. It's too early for me to do the math exactly........but it's not too many.
Message: Posted by: philipmac (Feb 27, 2005 04:45AM)
By my calculations it's, 1 in every 1200 people.
What I would really like to know, is how many people join the art becuase of certain events. E.g. Seeing Derren Brown on television.
Message: Posted by: Slim King (Feb 27, 2005 04:56AM)
OK....50,000 times 1200 is 60,000,000. You'd have to multiply that by 100 to get 6 billion...right..so isn't it one in 120,000 ????
Message: Posted by: Niko (Feb 27, 2005 03:54PM)
I thought in America, One Billion was 100 Million?

Because in the UK it's 1000 Million, which is what you mentioned.

-Niko
Message: Posted by: calexa (Feb 27, 2005 06:10PM)
One billion is 1.000 Millions - even in America....;-)

Magixx
Message: Posted by: hemisphere (Feb 27, 2005 07:33PM)
Current population: 6,400,000,000 people
Magi estimate: 50,000 magic people
That is 0.00078% of the population,
or 1 in every 128,000.
People who care about this thread: about 6.

The MBA is paying off after all.
Message: Posted by: Slim King (Feb 27, 2005 07:50PM)
$76,000 college expences ,divided by 38 Café' posts, equals about $2,000 per comment. Thanks for the contribution...LOL
It IS paying off!
Message: Posted by: Niko (Feb 28, 2005 02:39PM)
[quote]
On 2005-02-27 19:10, calexa wrote:
One billion is 1.000 Millions - even in America....;-)

Magixx
[/quote]

I'm sure it's not! I've always been told it was different in America. But I'm not American, so I don't know. :)
Message: Posted by: drwilson (Feb 28, 2005 02:57PM)
You are thinking of trillion, a word which in the former colonies means 1,000 billion.

In the UK, there doesn't seem to be a need for the concept of trillion. I have heard "thousand billion" on the BBC. In America, we find "trillion" useful in discussing our national debt or the transitional costs of privatizing Social Security.

Yours,

Paul
Message: Posted by: Osiris (Feb 28, 2005 03:43PM)
[quote]
On 2005-02-27 02:29, magicman02 wrote:
I am curious, how many magicians/mentalist do you think there are worldwide? What I am saying is how many people practice the art of magic worldwide? I am not counting people who know 1-2 card tricks, but know and understand the theory, history, and art of magic. Magic Magazine has about 12,000+ subscribers and so does Genii, so I am guessing out of 6 billion people, only 50,000 or less know the art of magic, that is less then 1%. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.
[/quote]

Ok... you'll need to refine this question... How many are "OUT" as Mentalists/Magicians & Bizarrists vs. How many are OUT as Readers vs. the number that deny having anything to do with magic/mentalism and work in the shut eye market (which will be the larger aspects of this census).
Message: Posted by: Niko (Mar 1, 2005 11:13AM)
[quote]
On 2005-02-28 15:57, drwilson wrote:
You are thinking of trillion, a word which in the former colonies means 1,000 billion.

In the UK, there doesn't seem to be a need for the concept of trillion. I have heard "thousand billion" on the BBC. In America, we find "trillion" useful in discussing our national debt or the transitional costs of privatizing Social Security.
[/quote]

Ah, that may be it, thanks Paul!
Message: Posted by: Thoughtreader (Mar 1, 2005 02:14PM)
How many are out there that THINK they are mentalists vrs. the ones that actually are?!?!?!?!
Message: Posted by: martinkey (Mar 2, 2005 04:30AM)
From Chambers Dictionary:
'billion: in Britain, France (since 1948), etc a million, millions (unit and twelve zerios); in North America, and often now in Britain, one thousand millions (unit and nine zeros).'
Martin
Message: Posted by: Niko (Mar 2, 2005 12:39PM)
THAT is what I was thinking of Martin! Thank you :)

I obviously thought it was 1 000 mill in UK and 100 mill in USA,
but it's 1 000 000 mill in UK and 1 000 in USA.

:D