(Close Window)
Topic: Williamsons Strike Vanish- Coin In Pencap
Hey there,

I was just wondering how many of you perform David Williamsons, "Coin in Pencap/Marker" routine- ala- the strike vanish? I've found it to be priceless. I've also seen the coin sleeved also; anyone else prefer this method?

Matt
Great little impromptu quickie. If you can maneuver the coin into Downs clip it looks even more magical during the release/revelation.
This is one I do quite a bit. I don't sleeve but instead use moves used in Wilson's "Recap", where the coin appears lost, and eventually I produce it from the cap.

Sometimes I'll use a pen and coin effect from one of the Tarbell's first, and maybe add a coin flurry.

You can put on a nice little impromptu show with a regular pen and a coin.
I do agree. Putting the coin into a downs/side grip is an added bonus. Very convincing. Great quick and impromptu effect, which could lead to a more indepth routine.

Matt
Where do I find this routine?
Just as a side note, has anyone tried the striking vanish with a coin purse rather than a wand or pen. I read about this in the Unexpected Visitor, it's really a great visual vanish in a coins to purse routine. A lot of people really like it.

-Bill
The whole coin purse? or just a purse frame?

Routines with a pen and coin are bits I perform from time to time. I never really saw David Williamson's version. I perform a coin piece with a pen and coin I learned from the routines of David Stone. Although simple, it could be really magical because the concept is so simple that the audience couldn't believe what they see.
Dave shows this on his "Magic Farm" DVD.
[quote]
On 2005-03-07 18:43, GeorgeSantos wrote:

[/quote]

Nah man the whole coin purse... You have to do it with an Onosaka style coin purse...They're the best ones to do it with. It's really visual.

-Bill
Well that's something new- a coin purse. Never saw that before. Sounds cool, and I might look into that.

CFrancis: The striking move/routine- I personally found in the: "Magic of Michael Ammar" book. It's a great book with a lot of motivational pieces and essays for that matter. It's all over the place though apparently.

Matt
Re striking vanish done with purse as wand: yes, I believe I saw folks including Jay Sankey doing this back in the early 1980s. I'm sure the basic effect as penetration is in print.
[quote]
On 2005-03-07 16:07, cfrancis wrote:
Where do I find this routine?
[/quote]

Book: Williamson's Wonders (Kaufman & Greenberg, 1989)
DVD: Magic Farm - sleight of hand for the working man (David Williamson Poductions, 2004)

Peo
Letting the coin fall from edge grip while holding the cap looks pretty nice.
RE: "Well that's something new- a coin purse. Never saw that before. Sounds cool, and I might look into that."

You might want to check out the "Flicking Fingers, The Movie" DVD... Theres a very commercial and fairly simple copper / silver routine in the very beginning that uses a purse as the "striker" for a striking vanish. The whole DVD is excellent.

[url=http://www.ronjo.com/thestore/prods/dvdflickfingr.html]Flicking Fingers[/url]

Mike
[quote]
On 2005-03-08 14:53, nique wrote:
Letting the coin fall from edge grip while holding the cap looks pretty nice.
[/quote]

I believe that's a Curtis Kam idea from 1982 :)
A purse / coin strike called "Striker", by D. Williamson, and is his only contribution to "The Collected Almanac" by Kaufman.
If you use a big enough pen, you can place a fol**** half inside of the cap (old idea, not mine, but I don't recall whose). Slee** the real half to vanish it, openly show both hands empty holding the pen, pull the cap off, shake out the fol**** half, relax as you drop the arm to retrieve the real half, and sw****.
"The Magic of Michael Ammar" has an excellent description of this routine.
Williamson's purse striking vanish thing is in his book, Williamson's Wonders.
Coin in pencap is also in Ammar's Easy To Master Coin Miracles vol.3
Although, he does not call it a strike vanish, I can't remember what
he called it. A modified version of it I think. He showed the pen pushing
through the fist in his description.
There's a nice acquitment in David Stone’s The Wallet Pen (Les bases de La Magie des Pièces – Basic Coin Magic, Volume 1), which shows both hands empty while uncapping the pen, prior to producing the coin from the pen cap.

Dave
[quote]
On 2005-03-30 05:40, Dave Le Fevre wrote:
There's a nice acquitment in David Stone’s The Wallet Pen (Les bases de La Magie des Pièces – Basic Coin Magic, Volume 1), which shows both hands empty while uncapping the pen, prior to producing the coin from the pen cap.

Dave
[/quote]

Yes, this move is a very useful move.
He calls it the transfer. You could show both hands empty.
I call it Sylvester Pitch replacement because it is basically does the same. The Sylvester Pitch is more convincing though.
I would stringly suggest the marker and coin routine in "Flickering Fingers The Movie" its DAMM SWEET!!!!!! check it out guys!
Somewhere I read about a giant coin from a giant pen cap.

Harris
Well that's something new- a coin purse. Never saw that before.

It's not all that new...David published it in Richard's Almanac 20 years ago.

Mike
Ahhh yes Harris.,. he offers to repeat the illusion again.,. but he cant go against the magician's rule.,. so he uses jumbo marker and coin! excellent!
Michael Ammar does show the Coin In Pen Cap move on his Intro to Coin Magic DVD, but he credits David Williamson and calls it the Phone Home Pen, or something like that. He also shows the Strike Vanish with a wand on Volume 2 of the Cups and Balls DVD.

By the way, has anyone seen Ammar do his Sonic Squeeze coin production? He teaches it on the Intro to Coin Magic video/DVD. It's a production (hence the title) not a vanish, but it sure looks great. The spectator sees him place an "invisible" coin in his hand, close it, and when he opens it a second later, voila! A coin appears. Very deceptive.
A nice addition to a pen and coin routine is "Will-o'-the-Wisp" by Roger Klause in The Art of Close-Up Magic Vol 1. It is a vanish of a coin (both hands shown empty at the same time) and reappearance using a pen.
I use it all the time and I always get..how did you fit that in the cap? Even though it is impossible they believe it. I really do enjoy performing this.
Terrell, I think what you saw on Ammar's cups and balls dvd volume 2 was not a strike vanish but a vernon wand spin with a ball vanish.
Michael Ammar does indeed show the Vernon wand spin, but he also does a vanish that he refers to as a strike vanish, and credits it to David Williamson. He strikes his hand and make a ball vanish.
Everything you need to know about the vanish is in Williamson's Wonders.
I have tried it several times and have yet to master it. Jay Sankey has a modified version he does that, to me, is slightly easier to perform. Looks great, less filling. :)
Hey guys~ try this out!

using just change from ur pocket, do a strike vanish with a pen and pour them all out from the pen cap!

wohoooo~
Here's my attempt,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6gfTIzozeQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Magicfish it looks nice.

Has anyone tried it with a closed fist. It gets great reactions, even from other magi that know the S.V. You can also do it at the fingertips.

I use the coin in pen cap, with my pen though quarter routine. Borrow a quarter, gaff is in the pocket. I remove the pen, make a comment about doing the trick without the cap, place cap in pocket, retrieve gaff, leaving cap behind. Have them mark their quarter, preform pen through quarter. Retrieve cap, ditching gaff, follow up with coin in pen cap, some flip stick moves, then either recapped or Rune's Hit Man.
Thanks, Mystre. I'm curious about the closed fist. What do you mean?
PM sent
Magicfish, the closed hand thing mystre speaks of here is indeed a good way to do this. I used to do it all the time that way with some added magic from a C/S coin. :)

I'd first fairly show a half dollar and then easily switch it for the C/S coin, ditching the real coin when I took the pen from my pocket to use like a wand...I would then close the silver half in my hand and tap the outside once and it would turn to a copper English Penny. Again, I would close my hand and tap it twice and it would turn back to a silver coin. Finally, I would close the coin in my hand one more time and tap 3 times, ;) and the coin would completely vanish. :)

I would always tell the adults watching in that this only worked on kids. ;) They would typically smile as though they couldn't be tricked...And like the kids, they always were. :D
Thanks Mb, sounds interesting. I like the sound of this. Is the closed fist handling published?
[quote]
On 2005-03-07 18:43, GeorgeSantos wrote:

Routines with a pen and coin are bits I perform from time to time. I never really saw David Williamson's version. I perform a coin piece with a pen and coin I learned from the routines of David Stone. Although simple, it could be really magical because the concept is so simple that the audience couldn't believe what they see.
[/quote I also just see david stone's version
[quote]
On 2013-03-24 19:51, Mb217 wrote:
Magicfish, the closed hand thing mystre speaks of here is indeed a good way to do this. I used to do it all the time that way with some added magic from a C/S coin. :)

I'd first fairly show a half dollar and then easily switch it for the C/S coin, ditching the real coin when I took the pen from my pocket to use like a wand...I would then close the silver half in my hand and tap the outside once and it would turn to a copper English Penny. Again, I would close my hand and tap it twice and it would turn back to a silver coin. Finally, I would close the coin in my hand one more time and tap 3 times, ;) and the coin would completely vanish. :)

I would always tell the adults watching in that this only worked on kids. ;) They would typically smile as though they couldn't be tricked...And like the kids, they always were. :D
[/quote]
Sounds great, mb, I really like the sound of this. Things happen in threes right?
Yes, things happen in "three's" it seems. :)

Not sure who first did the closed-hand thing but it seems fairly organic to come to it eventually. Think that's sorta how I started doing it pretty much. Don't remember learning it from anyone perse? I could be wrong but if I had to give credit on something like this, I probably would still give it to David Williamson as it is still pretty much the Striking Vanish really, hand open or closed, I would think.

The little action with the C/S coin extends the magic before the vanish, and that's why I began playing around with it. I was trying to extend the "3 taps" a bit by getting some more magic in there besides just the vanish -- the coin changes seemed to work nicely. :) Also, the coin in the cap thing was something I saw a lot of people doing to some extent and I wanted to go another way. Though at times, I went a bit further and produced the coin from the cap as well. If it came up the English Penny, I would easily change it back to the silver coin by simply closing my hand and opening it again, and done. If it came up the silver coin, I would simply say, "Oh, there you go," :) and end it there back where we started. :) *Oh, and you don't really have to switch out the coin, if you know how to flip the coin from hand to hand only showing the silver side, that' works easy enough too. ;)

Try it out, it's a fun little bit, and allows you to build with the 1 tap-change, 2 tap-change, 3 tap & gone! :) You can still add the reproduction of the coin from the cap as you are in position to do it if you like that classic part of it. Have fun. :)