(Close Window)
Topic: Best Electric chair
I want to use an electric chair for a mentalism effect, which is the best quality/reliability Thanks
I don't know but do make sure, that the head sponge is extremly moist.
[quote]
On 2005-03-17 20:33, PsychoMagi wrote:
I don't know but do make sure, that the head sponge is extremly moist.
[/quote]

LOL!
I wonder if there could be some dangers if a volunteer is used with a history of heart problems..just curious.
Make your own. All you need is a metal framed chair, access to a plug socket, a long length of cable and an off stage assistant to flick the switch ! Laughs a plenty are guaranteed !
Thanks Guys But I am serious, it would nice to fry some spectators. I heard Mephisto make a good one perhaps some professional on here could help ahemmmm :)
Mephisto is the best.
I've PM'd you with some ideas.

Kindest Regards,
-George Tait
Here are some plans if you are ever compelled to build your own:

http://www.geocities.com/hillbilly_nurse/HALLOWEENechair.html
Have fun with this, but please be careful as there may be dire legal repercussions to be paid if something goes wrong......as a Critical Nurse I'll tell ya it doesn't take much of a buzz to send a perfectly healthy human heart into a LETHAL arrythmia.....i.e ALMOST CERTAIN DEATH; you won't be able to magically fix that unless you are a licensed medical professional provider in Advanced Cardiac Life Support. Just my two cents.
Hi Ian,

(Thank you for your terrific research on Mssr. Berglas by the way. I'll PM you with some specific feedback shortly. We all owe you a great deal of gratitude for your efforts on the Chair Prediction.)

I'd recommend you contact the always resourceful Paul Pacfic (PM him, with a search?) I love his handling of this old Electric Chair classic and you won't need a head sponge or leather straps or liability insurance to pull it off!!!!

Stay wondeful,

James

P.S. Consider a tie in too with Psychokinetic Touches...

Oops.. Paul Pacific
Thanks James hope you found it interesting reading. regards Ian
You could try http://www.dcefx.com. I brought my electric chair off them 4 years ago and I never had a problem/ miss fire/ failure with it. They are very reliable. The company also provide a great service I had my remote stolen they had a new one programmed and sent out straight away.
Hope this helps.
Saracen
Am I thinking of the same routine as you guys? Ian, you don't want a REAL electric chair do you?
I think you're looking for things that can be done with a violet wand, neon tester, or tesla coil, all of which have been used in sideshow performance for a long time.
Folks,

There is NO danger to the "electric chair" (actually a tesla coil), if done by someone who understands the concepts.

While the voltage is high, the amps are so low that the current can not pass through the body.

The only real danger is if the person gets up, or makes a space, while it is on. That will create a spark that gets hot very quickly and can cause a burn.

I have used one in my science shows for many many years. However, I do know what I am doing.
You don't need a gimmicked chair.
WTF??? A Electric chair? Am I reading this right? What exactly is a routine with a electric chair? Is it a gag, or a Russian Roulette type of routine. Whoa, I'm lost. Thanks for explaining this "Routine" for me, Ed, (Eddini).
Hi Ed,

Though ist sounds dramatic its a nice gag chair you could use for different effects. Years ago I used one as a part of a pseudo hypnosis routine.

As mentioned before its a special prepared chair. When you have a spectator sit on the chair you can controll when the spec. gets an electric shock (a light one of course). So you can play a lot of fun with this.

Hope now its a bit clearer for you Ed.

Regards
Thomas
HaHaHa, it is. Like I knew in the beginning they were kidding, but then it sounded serious when they started talking about people with pace makers. It stills sounds a bit too dangerous. Though O only do close-up, street, and mentalism, I wouldn't add it to my show. (This is NOT a Moral judgement on others though so don't be offended. It's just not for me. Even though this thread is about a routine, a comical one at that, I'm against the Death Penalty as I am abortion, and have written essays on it. Okay now that being said, I won't go further as this isn't the place for that). As I was saying, it would be my luck that I'd get someone with a Pace Making and wind up accidently killing someone...oh my.....well, I guess instead of a shock a better alternative, is to have it vibrate. That can have a "Shock-Like" feel to it. Anyway that's my thoughts. Great Luck With It, Ed, (Eddini).
Ed,

I higly respect your opinion. I'm also agains Death Penalty but IMO this chair I wouldn't concern about.
I shoudl mentions that the apeareance of such a chair nothing has in common with an electric chair unfortunately used for deatch penalties.

Instead the chairs look like ordinary folding chairs many people have at home for sitting on it every day.

I even had (during the year I used such a chair) also the pleasure to perform mentalism a charity organisation and because the host once saw me performing this chair as a part of a rotuine he insisted that I should also show it at the performance for this organisation.

So I just wanted to point out that few people would compare this to death penalty IF the chair is presented in the right way of course.

Greetings
Thomas
There is a booklet called "Zapped". It's a routine without gimmicked chairs. I think this is the method Paul Daniels use.
Hank Lee was selling it for a while but it's no longer on his website.
Hey it's cool. My main concern was from reading above if someone had a Pace-Maker, or Heart Trouble then it might be dangerous. That was more my concern. Thanks for going into more detail, Ed, (Eddini).
Indeed I DO perform the famous Electric Chairs and it does get quite a "charge" from the audience as well as a jolt from the people on stage! I love Paul Daniels' handling of this effect but I have heard that Mr. Electric also slays his audience with this particular test!

Is there any footage, if you'll pardon the use of the term ;-) of his performance of this wonderful routine?

Paul Pacific
I have some specs in the book on my site. For the most part I can't describe in public, lets just say its more static then shocking.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Taylor (Sep 2, 2005 06:07PM)
Didn't Gerry M. use an electric chair on his TV special, "The Mentalist"?