(Close Window)
Topic: Gazzo! A long winded post about my pal.
I have recently had the very good fortune of becoming pretty friendly with one of the best street workers that has ever been, Gazzo.

It’s funny because I searched him out after I became interested in a project he did with David Britland about the work of Walter Scott, and not because of street performing.

Many of you may not know this, but as well as being the worlds most infamous busker, Gazzo was at one time considered by some to be one of the worlds greatest gambling card experts.

The stories are rapidly becoming legendary, one magician that I have great respect for called it, “The most mind numbingly difficult stuff I ever witnessed.” All of the right people called the work brilliant, and all of the right people put it down. To clarify that, there are a few critics in the world of magic who only call the brilliant crap. If these people say it is awful, you can be sure it is anything but.

Unfortunately, in the mid 90’s Gazzo suffered a medical incident that took this fine skill from his hands. Don’t get me wrong, Gazzo is still very good with a deck of cards, but his physical ability has been reduced to the same level the rest of us mere mortals live with.

Two years later, Gazzo rose from the dark hole he was knocked into by his medical condition. Most people would have just laid down and called it a day. That has never been Gazzo’s style. He rose up, older, wiser, perhaps a bit more humble, but still filled with a desire to be the best.

He went back to the street and in the hard sun of a buskers noon climbed his way back to the top of the pyramid. For the past several years Gazzo has been back on top, and working a pitch six days a week. It is the kind of comeback that like him or not, still draws nods of respect from all of his peers.

I have seen Gazzo’s performance from the 1989 International Magic Competition that Ron Macmillian put on. Gazzo was 29, in his prime, and won the competition hands down. I watched Gazzo do two shows in Quincy Market last night and he was at least every bit as brilliant as he was in 89.

Gazzo’s street act has been honed by 25 years of real work. It is the funniest, wildest, and most entertaining street show, I’ve ever seen.

He is famous in the world of magic today for his cups and balls routine. It has taken him all over the world and some parts of South Dakota (Thanks Jim). His revelation of a melon from under a bowler is so startling you can hear the Jaws clonk on the pavement as the audience’s mouths drop open.

For the past couple of years Gazzo has been working in secret on a new project. It is a new kind of act that combines Gazzo’s wild personality with his fantastic knowledge of magic and gambling. Once again Gazzo is going to start fresh and climb to the top of a new pyramid.

Now that this is the case he is giving the street act away. A couple of years ago now, Gazzo released a booklet through the school for scoundrels on this routine. It was a bare bones explanation with no patter lines and little information on misdirection.

For the past couple of weeks Gazzo has been working with a small group of friends to produce a video on his cups and balls routine. I was lucky enough to be a technical advisor on the project and watched something pretty close to the final cut yesterday.

This time, he is giving it all away. This tape is two hours long and contains two tricks. Think about that. It is all in there, every bit of misdirection and the “why” behind it, every line, every gesture, every nuance. While it was being edited he was repeatedly asked to cut some things and he said, “No, this is important, I want it all to be on there.” This tape is more like a free form lecture than a “how to” video. Gazzo wanted to make sure it was all out there.

As well as the cups and balls he gives away his floating card. If you’ve never seen this it is one of the strongest gags for a lay audience I’ve ever seen. This is all the real work. I still can’t believe he is letting it go.

He dedicates the tape to his good friend Jim Cellini. A nod of respect to a guy Gazzo considers to be one of the best there is or ever has been.

The tape should be available in a couple of weeks from the guys at school for scoundrels. This is really going to be a fantastic thing to see.

Best,

Dan-
This sounds very interesting. Please keep us posted on the tape! I would want to get one for sure.
Danny,

Nice words. I am interested in seeing this material.

Thanks.

--Ron
Oh great, now we're going to have a bunch of Gazzos on the street, one was bad enough :rolleyes: ;)

Seriously, I've heard he's one of the best, despite his charming personality. I think the video will be worth it for the techniques, but I doubt many people will be able to pull off his patter (or would want to). Being a regular on performers.net I've seen Gazzo in action and I don't know how he pulls it off in Quincy Market (without getting busted). Perhaps there is a kinder, gentler side to Gazzo :innocent:

Naah... :goof:

Glad to hear he's recovering well and I hope to see him next year in Boston!

:bunny2:
I am very interested in this tape. I've also heard that Gazzo has changed over the years, and has mellowed out a bit. Regardless of this, I'm sure this video will contain a lot of great information.

Does anyone have any Gazzo stories?
cups and balls being one of my favs. I'm looking foward to it.
One Saturday afternoon this summer while in Boston on business, and after having learned the hard way that Hank Lees is not open on Saturdays :( , I happened to stumble upon Gazzo's street act at Faneuil Market.
Though I had not heard of him, it was clear that he was a master of the craft and someone who knew how to work an audience in the street. I stood and enjoyed his act from start to finish, he even got me to help him. I spoke with him after his act and he was very friendly.
I recommend seeing him if you ever have an opportunity. I am also certain that his video will be a definitive cups and ball video.
Good to see you here, Danny!

I'll second everything that's been said about Gazzo; I've also been fortunate to become friendly with him here in Boston this summer, and never tire of seeing his show. I can recite 90% of the lines before he does, I've seen it so many times, but there's something about it that makes you know you're seeing a master (perhaps the fact that nobody else could get away with what he gets away with, both in jokes and in bold techniques :o)

I was quite disappointed that I was out of town the day Gazzo, Danny, and a few other friends shot the aforementioned video, and couldn't make it myself, so I'm quite anxiously awaiting it. From what I've heard from those who were there, it should be incredible!

--A
I stopped by Faneuil Hall yesterday for lunch and caught Gazzo again. He is hilarious.

He said that he is going to be on the Tonight Show on Thursday (10/10). I couldn't confirm it on the NBC website however, so I might have fallen for some street schtick, but I'm going to tape it just in case.

For Boston area people, The Magic Hat closed down in Faneuil Hall closed down! The Magic Hat was a joke/juggling/practical joke/svengali deck store.
[quote]
On 2002-10-06 10:22, EricClark wrote:
I stopped by Faneuil Hall yesterday for lunch and caught Gazzo again. He is hilarious.

He said that he is going to be on the Tonight Show on Thursday (10/10). I couldn't confirm it on the NBC website however, so I might have fallen for some street schtick, but I'm going to tape it just in case.

For Boston area people, The Magic Hat closed down in Faneuil Hall closed down! The Magic Hat was a joke/juggling/practical joke/svengali deck store.
[/quote]

If you see Gazzo's show enough it becomes quickly apparent that Gazzo will soon be appearing on the tonight show everynight.

He got me with it the foirst time I hear it too! :)

He says it to get bigger tips, and who knows, if enough people call The Leno show asking when the Boston street magician is going to be on they might come looking for him!

Gazzo is a master at the art of deception and he uses it to his advantage in every aspect of his show. It's brilliant!

Best,

Dan-

[quote]
On 2002-10-06 02:12, Andy Leviss wrote:
Good to see you here, Danny!

[/quote]

Good to see you too! I was wondering where you were that day.

Best,

Dan-
Man, I fell for that one hard.

I hope the Cape Cod Tunnel Permit and
Cape Cod Nude Beach permits I bought this weekend aren't fake too! :)
[quote]
On 2002-10-07 11:41, EricClark wrote:
Man, I fell for that one hard.

I hope the Cape Cod Tunnel Permit and
Cape Cod Nude Beach permits I bought this weekend aren't fake too! :)
[/quote]

I think the tunnel permit is good (I bought 2) but the nude beach requires no permit (Where would you carry it :) )

Best,

Dan-
Any idea exactly when it will be released? How much is it going to be?
[quote]
On 2002-10-10 17:46, kid iowa wrote:
Any idea exactly when it will be released? How much is it going to be?
[/quote]

I really don't know. I do know it is going to be a school for scoundrels product. You could contact those fellows at their website for the particulars.

It is going to be great I can tell you that.

Best,

Dan-
Received an e mail from School for Scoundrels a couple of days ago. Both 'Gazzo on the Cups and Balls' and 'Gazzo Uncensored' will, according to the mail, be out within the week.

The 'Gazzo Uncensored' is a live recording of Gazzo in action. You can already purchase a promo video which is quite sanitised and for me misses what the man is about. The Uncensored video is as you would see him on the street.

I saw Gazzo about a year ago in Virginia Beach and his ability to hold an audience was as good as I have seen anywhere.

Just got to get him to tour here in the UK and I'll be a happy man.
The two videos, each almost two hours long, will be released next week. The Gazzo Uncensored Video has his complete 40 minute show at the Magic Castle, plus his complete street show from Quincy Market including his drawing a crowd and collecting the money.

There is also a complete show at the Ren Faire in Texas, which shows him do the rope trick, and the "Underwater Escape" in which he abuses, harasses, and completely soaks a cute little six year-old boy. This also includes all of his patter and byplay with the spectators drawing the crowd and passing the hat:

"Little boy! All the other kids get to see the magic show. Your parents won't let you come with all the other kids and see the magic show. That's because they don't love you! They don't care about anyone but themselves. They're both alcoholics! Hey, little boy!"

The Gazzo on the Cups and Balls video shows the cups and balls performance from the Quincy Market, and then has Gazzo explaining every detail of his handling and thinking on the cups. He explains his table, giberciere (Poacher's Pouch), wand and all the loads. He also adds a few other tricks and bits of business. It is the whole enchilada on his cup and ball routine.

Available at http://www.schoolforscoundrels.com

Gazzo Uncensored $30
Gazzo on the Cups and Balls $35

I know you will enjoy them.
Oh Rats!

I said I wasn't buying anything else until I learned and used everything I already have, but I can't resist these.

So there goes another $65.........plus shipping..... :bawl:

BroDavid
Will they be available only on video or will there be a DVD as well?
Also when will they be up on the sight so we all can order a set?
Both the videos:

'Gazzo Uncensored' and 'Gazzo on the Cups and Balls' can now be pre ordered from:

http://www.chefanton.com/entertain/store.html

Shipping at the start of November.

I don't think I've anticipated a product as eagerly as this one for some time. Happy Shopping!
Got them ordered!

Now I just need the patience to wait....

Between the Cellini Art of Street Performing and Cellin Lord and Master of the Rings, and these two videos, I will have enough ideas really get a street set put together right!

BroDavid
As a Boston resident I can also attest for the quality of Gazzo in each and every performance, and I still laugh every time I hear a joke that I heard 20 x already. I am especially happy that I will have the pleasure of driving with him to the CEMK convention in upstate NY next month. It should be an interesting tripand I amdebating on how to wire my car so that I can get all of it on tape.
Mat
$20 to send one of the videos to the UK. Ouch.

I had the pleasure of watching Gazzo's act a few times when he made a fleeting visit to my home town this year. He's an absolutely superb performer. I spoke to him for a while and his knowledge about magic and street performing is amazing.
Just got the Gazzo on Cups and Balls, and the Gazzo Uncensored tape from the School for Scoundrels today!

This is some really good stuff!

I will be posting reviews on these as soon as I get through them and can reflect on what I have seen.

I got through the performance on cups and balls today, (I knew I could not spend the time on the eplanation today that I wanted to spend so I stopped before it.) and I watched about 2/3 of the Gazzo Uncensored tape. All I will say so far is, I think I got my money's worth!

BroDavid
Okay, BANNER weekend for me here in Harvard Square.

I started learning Gazzo’s cups and balls a few months ago from the booklet. I’ve since become pretty friendly with Gaz and he gave me some of the inside stuff on the trick and I was doing pretty well with it on the street.

At the end of September I was able to get an advanced copy of a rough cut of the tape now for sale.

I’ve spent the past month and half working on the routine at home. Really doing the work on it, writing bits, really giving it a good going over. I figure if the guy gave that much information, I would be a moron not to apply it.

So, this weekend we had some very nice weather here in Cambridge. I took to the street and I was shocked when I found I tripled my per hat take, every show, all day long.

I went home feeling like I robbed a bank.

The stuff on this tape can be applied to everything you do on the street. It is all covered. With this tape and the Cellini tape you will have the ability to go anywhere in the world and make a living as a street performer if you put the work in.

This routine is a moneymaker of the highest magnitude. Just flipping brilliant. I don’t know what else to say.

If you want to make money and have fun on the street go to the scoundrel store website and buy the tape, the pouch, the cups, and spend the winter learning this routine. You will not regret it.

Best,

Dan-
Outstanding report Danny!

Tripled your HATS????? That is truly amazing!

Being in cold weather country also, I am working on my street routine all winter - just as you suggested!

I have the Cellini Rings tape, along with his Lecture tape, the "Art of" tape, and these two Gazzo tapes.

Like you said Danny, armed with this arsenal of knowledge, how can you fail to improve, if not excell!

BroDavid
I know how.
If your VCR broke a few months back and your parrent (whom you are living with until you get out of college) got a DVD player of a new VCR.
Even though I like DVD's and all the site of this just beyond my reach is hard.
:bawl:

If I could find a job, then I may be able to get one from goodwill...
MOTO,

Job? Job? Take a page from Danny’s book and build a street act and go to work! Make this magic hobby pay for itself (and maybe even give you a living!). With a good act and a good pitch you can earn as much money in a couple of hours as you would working for McDonalds.
Message: Posted by: Al Kazam the Magic Man (Nov 15, 2002 01:22AM)
I couldn't agree more with Harry more. I'm trying to get my kids into the art, so that they can earn a living anywhere they go in the world. Working in McDonalds here only pays $3/hour. Can't live on that.
Let us know how you get along Moto,,,give it a shot!
JoJo
You know what, that's a good idea. Of course being able to put on a GOOD show is still a ways off, as I know exactly 2 tricks. And am not to good at those just yet. It's time to hit the sleights and hit them hard, I guess.

(On another note, if push came to shove, I could get a job at the local pizza place in under 10 minutes if I wanted it. It's not unpleasent work, and the folks there are great, but I was there for four years and I'm burned out.)
[quote]
On 2002-11-15 13:19, MOTO42 wrote:
You know what, that's a good idea. Of course being able to put on a GOOD show is still a ways off, as I know exactly 2 tricks. And am not to good at those just yet. It's time to hit the sleights and hit them hard, I guess.

(On another note, if push came to shove, I could get a job at the local pizza place in under 10 minutes if I wanted it. It's not unpleasent work, and the folks there are great, but I was there for four years and I'm burned out.)
[/quote]

I watched Sonny Holiday knock out show after show last weekend with only three tricks.

Learn them well and you will make money and have a lot of fun!
Hey Danny, I just noticed that on the Gazzo Cups and Balls tape you are listed as a Technical Advisor!

Now I have to list Danny Hustle as a Street Performer that I want to see perform live!

Way to go mate!

BroDavid
[quote]
On 2002-11-15 20:28, BroDavid wrote:
Hey Danny, I just noticed that on the Gazzo Cups and Balls tape you are listed as a Technical Advisor!

Now I have to list Danny Hustle as a Street Performer that I want to see perform live!

Way to go mate!

BroDavid
[/quote]

Thanks David,

Yup, that's me. I was told from my inside source (Hi Koz) that I may even make a small apperance in the next Cellini video.

Probably on what NOT to do! :)

They taped my whole (8 min) show when Cellini and his crew were here in Boston. I was having a BAD day. But I didn't want to miss the chance to have dinner with Gazzo AND Cellini!

That was something.

Our own Kozmo is the guy who shot the performance section of the Gazzo tape as well! GREAT JOB KOZMAN!

It was great working with Gazzo on that project. Gazzo has had me busy lately finding stuff for his new project which is a mind blower.

He is putting together a new act that is something I've never seen done before and is quite brilliant. I can't give out any details as it is still quite hush hush.

I can say, it is nothing like his street act and he is gearing it to be indoors.

Best,

Dan-
How come all the good guys hang out in Boston??

What a kick that must be to be around that bunch! Cellini, Gazzo, Sonny Holiday, Kozmo.... how do you keep from tripping over your jaw!

But I guess I should just put Danny Hustle right up on list with these guys - because he is already there!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

BroDavid
[quote]
On 2002-11-15 21:56, BroDavid wrote:

But I guess I should just put Danny Hustle right up on list with these guys - because he is already there!

[/quote]

Nahh. I'm as green as grass David. I'm still out there learning.

I was just fortunate this summer that these guys were in town, and they are both very gracious and giving guys.

Best,

Dan-

Best,

Dan-
who says i'm good?....lol

i'm a hacker....

koz
Just to add my thoughts,

I was in Boston not too long ago and stumbled about the area where the street perfromers do their thing. After watching some average performances, I saw Gazzo.

I have to say, you could tell you were watching a different level of perfromer. He is bold, wild, edgy, and the audience loved it. I was surprised with what he got away with. My wife was laughing out loud.

I watched his show twice and then introduced myself. What a charming and freindly guy. I would imagine that most of the magicians would not have liked his act. (this based on what I read here about Blaine, Angel, and WGM specials) As a magician you are not going to be fooled by his show. But, as an entertainer, it was fantastic. I seriously, doubt that the people who would be first to bombast the man could entertain so fully as he did.

What a pleasant surprise it was for me to enjoy this entertainment. If you are in the Boston area, I highly suggest you take in his show. It is an education.

Sergeant
Sergeant,

You hit it right on the nose! On the street, it is not so much about people being fooled as people being entertained.

It is easy to criticize, and people often criticize things they don't understand. Street performing is not like stage, or even closeup, where the audience buys a ticket, and gathers before you begin, and leaves after you are done.

You have to cast a net, and bring them in, and then hold them, and finally have them pay for your performance after you are done.

It is really like "magic on approval". You dont get paid until the audience approves of your perfromance. And the level of approaval dictates the amount you get.

So often, folks just measure the Street performers with the wrong standard. Technically, I have no doubt that Cellini and Gazzo are top of the heap. But they aren't out trying to fry magicians. So the technical excellence isnt flaunted - but it is there!

When push comes to shove, my response to those who don't like Gazzo, or Cellini (he got absolutely panned at the Magic Castle), I just say, show me something you do that gets the same response!

Personally I would take a small peice of Gazzo's hat over the whole hat on most "street" performers and the others wont know what it is like, until they walk in Gazzo's hat!

BroDavid
In my show I rarely juggle more than 3 things at once, as far as juggling gose this is nothing, but I can pull a crowd, and thay stay with me till the hat. (and then run away :) )

I don't understand doing magic for other magicians, it is a dead end street. lots of work for less responce. give me a quarter out of a kids ear any day, magicians will be loking at the quarter, I'll be looking at the kids face :wow: thats real magic.
[quote]As a magician you are not going to be fooled by his show[/quote]He got me with the darn melon, though...
You know I posted this nearly 10 years ago, and just watched this on You Tube, Gazzo you still are the very best and I was just thrilled to see this, you look great!

Best,

Dan-

http://youtu.be/xlwkHiuDNTo
Well Danny, he's the best who's ever breathed! The best!

kHz
Hoo, that was great!
Thanks Danny!
[quote]
On 2011-09-01 16:04, Kozmo wrote:
Well Danny, he's the best who's ever breathed! The best!

kHz
[/quote]

Kozmo! I miss you man! How you doing brother?

Best,

Dan-
I think one of the most important things I learned from Gazzo is that he puts the spotlight on the audience. So many speakers/entertainers are so caught up about being in the spotlight - "it's all about me!" but Gazzo sincerely makes it all about the audience.

And he makes FAT HATS! The true measure of a street performer, the bottom line. He's the best, and even the other Masters will say so.

I have heard Master Kozmo talk in person about how Gazzo is the best on many different occasions.

All hail the Great Master Gazzo!!!

How could one acquire the two videos that are mentioned in this thread?

I just hope that in the next life I will get to meet the Great Master of all street performers, Master Cellini...
Saw the clip all the way overused in Oz. Thanks for posting it Danny. Penns remarks are so vey true
I saw the thread title and opening it saw it dated back to 2002 Geez how time flies. Thanks again for posting Danny.

James James
Despite a very checkered history with Gazzo, I too would echo what's been said here, now and 9 years ago.

Wish I'd had a better go with him. Could have learned much more than from just his tapes.

What can I say? I was an arrogant prick in my early 20s. Have learned much in my old age.

Robert
[quote]
On 2011-09-01 18:31, Tim Friday wrote:
How could one acquire the two videos that are mentioned in this thread?
[/quote]

Any idea how I could get those DVD's?
I have "Gazzo Uncensored". Great video. I'd let it go for $200.
[quote]
On 2011-11-15 23:21, Frank Starsini wrote:
I have "Gazzo Uncensored". Great video. I'd let it go for $200.
[/quote]

Why was that one taken off the market? The explicit material?
[quote]
On 2002-11-15 14:36, Danny Hustle wrote:
[quote]
On 2002-11-15 13:19, MOTO42 wrote:

[/quote]

I watched Sonny Holiday knock out show after show last weekend with only three tricks.

Learn them well and you will make money and have a lot of fun!
[/quote]

Great advice above about having an act that works in the first place to go out on the street...

Same with Nick Nickolas, a pleasure to watch & Learn..Hilarious act

His show is fabulous- not a lot of effects but structured from years of performing & a finale
with a world class cups & Balls with Jumbo tennis ball
One of the best observations I have seen about Gazzo, is that he makes the audience the star in his show. He is a master entertainer, and a fine magician. I did go to Vegas a few years ago to attend his cups and balls master class. And it was worth every penny and more.

I haven't busked in a couple years because I bought a race car, and have been racing around the country. But I did all I could with that car, NHRA National Record, lots of Class Wins, Best Appearing car, etc. And I am now broke again becuase of it.

So I just broke out the cups, table and pouch that Gazzo made me (good thing I didn't leave any fruit in it), and am now back to work again at the first opportunity.

The Doctor