(Close Window)
Topic: Ambitious card
Does anyone have a different take on why the card keeps jumping to the top? I loe doing it but cn't help but fell I'm showing off if I don't have a reason for it jumping to the top.
See David Regals Ambitious Card. It is well motivated.
It's on one of his power, premise, participation dvd's.
I use the theme but my routine is different.
What he does is have the spectator draw a picture of their dog or some pet on the card along with the name of the animal.
Then the spec. simply say "here boy" or "here spot" or whatever and the card comes to the top in repsonse.
Because you are using the pet they become emotionally involved in the routine instead of whating a "hey look what I can do routine".
I have had the same problem with the balducci levitation. I cannot figure out how to show this to a spectator without coming off as a showoff. I am, but I do not want people to know it while I am performing.

Matthias
When he picks the card, go "oh no!" you chose the ambitious card. In every deck there's always a card that tries to seek attention and thus gets in the way of all my tricks.look I'll show you....."
I use the celebrity card, ie oh this card is the posh spice of this deck, always want the limelight no matter how many times you think you have seen the last of it it always has one more "comeback", its just a quick 4 phase, finished with the card reversed in the pack for its curtain call
Place their card in the "middle of the deck". Do a pass or whatever is in your ACR. Take a magnet and wave it over the deck. Show their card on top, repeat. Patter about how you have found a new type of cardboard that is magnetic. Just an idea. It wouldn't explain how it comes through the other cards but they might think they've figured it out until they realize that the card is coming through cards.
I have an interesting plot for the A.C. that was published in my 2004 lecture notes: Diapason. Basically the effect serves as a way to demonstrate a very real phenomenon that occurs when folks watch magic, their right and left brain conflict and temporarily shut down. So now we have an effect that goes from a simple show off effect to a miracle of mind control.

The effect is called: Suitibma Drac
And if your curious the lecture notes are available at my website.

-George Tait
For the levitaation you can say " let me tell you soemthing about amgicians. We can change card at or own will. ( do a few changes ) Also we can move them from place to place (do a few vanishes and productions) no say I can make things rise...( you cand do few llevitations and throw in the balducci).
I prefer a houdini type card where the card doesn't just jump to the top.. ( it can ) but it can go to our pocket specs pocket ur shoe whatever.
[quote]
On 2005-03-28 14:09, Daniel Faith wrote:
See David Regals Ambitious Card. It is well motivated.
It's on one of his power, premise, participation dvd's.
I use the theme but my routine is different.
What he does is have the spectator draw a picture of their dog or some pet on the card along with the name of the animal.
Then the spec. simply say "here boy" or "here spot" or whatever and the card comes to the top in repsonse.
Because you are using the pet they become emotionally involved in the routine instead of whating a "hey look what I can do routine".
[/quote]

yes, I like david regal's version too, it's funny and interesting for both magician and spectators
I think it should be it his DVD power, premise, participation vol.1
I've often done the classic routine and motive, but recently I've switched to the thought of trying to "get rid" of the card. "oh lets not use that card" and of course it keeps showing up. Not always on top, but in a force, flourish or otherwise.
Basically I've turn the motive around. Works for me.
Redhead
In Michael Ammars classic renditions he call the card the yeast card. I think its a good idea in that spectators can understand yeast rising, Hmmmmmmm, what else rises, I don't know this really did just come to me as I was typing so I don't have anything other than the question.

Adam
I don't know where this idea is from but I remember once when I performed the ambitious card, I did play around with this idea for a while:

Explain the Deck is a building where each card represents a story or a floor of the building. You can put a person (the signed card on any floor) and if you press the elevator button (the centre of the top card-just push it with your finger as if your pushing an elevator button) -the elevator keeps comes to the top.

sorry again I cant give proper credit.

Durgy
[quote]
On 2005-05-07 11:16, funny_gecko wrote:
For the levitaation
[/quote]

What levitation?
I like to say the the card is running away from something in the deck.
Even if you have a good reasoning for you, does your audience accept it?
Doesn't your reasoning or story destruct magical effect?

As reasoning or story is intelectual factor, it is sometimes possible they destruct visual impact of effect.

Many European close-up magicians perform without patter, so they don't give any reasoning by patter. But their magic are most impressive.

Hideo Kato
Thank you for all your help. done a few gigs now and got it how I like it.
Another idea...

... say the card will go after money. Wave a dollar or credit card over the deck...
Do 'Wild Card', and whichever card is the wild one, go onto the ambitious card and force which card the wild one was that you were using, then show that the card is very wild!

Hope this helps,
F.D. :bg:
I've pondered doing a marxist-flavored presentation where the Ambitious Card would instead be identified as the "Capitalist B*stard".

Jeremy L's bit of business here would fit well with that theme:

> ... say the card will go after money. Wave a dollar or credit card over the deck...
Tommy Wonder has a card chosen, which "wants to be different". It keeps rising to the top and because it's so different, Tommy ends up saying: "I keep it in a different place" and climaxes with the card in a small ring box that has been in plain view on the table the entire time.
I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to the ambitious card. My favourite presentations for the ambitious card have always been the simplest:
-Tommy Wonder: The card rises because you chose it and made it special
-Daryl: a demonstration of magical card control.

Other presentations like the yeast card or the remote control card, though original and creative, have always seemed a bit goofy to me. (But that's just me.)
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Nov 15, 2006 03:34AM)
I like to use the plot of a ghost card that keeps hunting me
The most logical patter I've come up with is that you have the ability to control the card, and show how the dealer can cheat with this technique.

Tell them to choose a card that has significant value, some people like Aces. Have them sign it. Stick it in the deck anywhere, completely lost. Say that you don't know where it is, but if you flick your wrist (or snap(, it comes to the top. Then you can take that card, and deal it to your partner.
I like to use Greg Wilson's "time machine" ruse, in which he refers to his watch as a time machine and so everytime he places the card down in the deck, he proceeds to push the "time machine" button and thus we go back in time 10 seconds to when it was on top. The routine that this idea is from, Flashback, builds until he actually ends up sending the entire deck back in time to when it was a new deck out of the box in original deck order. I just use the idea of a time machine, and the comedy that's inherent within it.
Most of the time, I don't refer to the card as anything in particular. I would never call it "The Ambitious Card" to a lay audience. I also wouldn't call it the Yeast card or the Ghost card or the uppity card or anything else. I use the ACR in combination with Solid Deception (which I also do not refer to by name) as a lead in to the Card in Wallet.

I usually call it the Two of Spades trick (or whatever the card happens to be). You don't need to call a trick by any particular name.

The reason it keeps coming to the top, is that I riffle the cards. That makes the card move.
I love forcing the card, and letting them sign it while my back is turned.
While they're signing I explain that there is 1 card in each deck that does strange things.. I say that in this deck it's the _____ (forced card), they start smiling and say it's their card.. I turn back to them and say: "well... you've already signed it, so I'll try doing the trick anywhere.. hope there won't be any problems".
I place the card in the middle, and I say: "the card is not on the bottom, and not on the top..." when I turn the top card over it's their card, and I just do it again and again..
Works for me...

Tomer