(Close Window)
Topic: Shipping Illusions in the USA
Hi, I just sold one of my Illusions on MagicAuction. I need some help finding a good company to ship with. I have one box that is 36X12X36 175lbs. What companys have you used and who do you like best.
Forward Air is the best and cheapest - it is a hub to hub operation so you will need to get the crate to the hub and your buyer will need to go get it at a hub.
Another good carrier is R&L
Message: Posted by: Grandillusionsmagic (Mar 28, 2005 05:13PM)
DHL has been good for me. they are door to door.
Be aware Foward Air does NOT accept CC, cash or checks [at least here in Indpls] they ONLY accept a money order. So you will need to take it to them, get it weighed, then go get a MO for the exact amount. They are the cheapest!!
I just shippd the last Konundrum Kube to PA with ABF freight,[because there wsa no FA close by] and they were very reasonable.
STAY AWAY FROM FEDEX....They destroyed my last ATA case, and NO ONE knows what they are doing there!!!!!!!

Jack
I guess it all comes down to where and what you are shipping - if you need ot get someting ot Asia or India quickly,I can give you some names and numbers - in the states, I use Forward air as well as R&L - I just shipped my custom escape that sold of the magic auction page - three HUGE cases - about 1200lbs total weight - $550.75 - before that , I shipped a Windshear to Vegas via Forward air (approx 600lbs )and it was around $200.

Let me know if I can help you with your shipping quote - I do ship a good deal - for those of you who know how much I travel - and I have a pretty extensive list of shippers - both international and domestic.
Forward Air is the company that most of the pro's use. It by far is the least expensive and they do take care of their customers. I had a case that was damaged, I filed a claim .. and without any hassles .. they took care of me .. really. They are in most major cities .. near the airport .. but you have to drop off and or pick up the prop. Look them up online @ forwardair.com. Good Luck ..

Steve
I agree Forward Air is a good choice, we have also used ABF and Old Dominion with good results. The major problem with most of the truck lines is getting them to class the illusion correctly for the best price. My experience is they don't have a true class that is primarily designed for handeling crates of the magician/ illusionist.
Usually, dependong on the construction of your cases ( 3/8" or 1/2")you can easily ship your equipment as a trade show display.
Since you are working with a company that had no idea what is actually in the case or even cares for that matter, make sure you always state the shipping position of the case and whether or not it can be top loaded - usually it is best to have them put it on a pallet and simply ship it "one off" which means that nothing goes on top of it and it goes on top of nothing.
Here is another piece of advice for those of you who may be shipping a good deal - you will need a description of the case so why not give it a custom number....
Heres an example - the case dims as 23x48x37 and weights 260lbs
Simply label that case 234837260 -this way, you never have to measure or weigh it again.
Thought that might help
Like Jack Murray said STAY AWAY from FEDEX, they messed up my shippment from Jack real BAD.

Abra
So .. I say to the stage hand .. could you please hand me case # 234837260 .... ya it's the black one over there.

Actually that's a great tip on having the dims right on the case .. right on Kline!

Steve
Hey thank you all for your input. I just shipped with DHL, they ship door to door, and now ship any size fraight. They are very good in pricing too, they beet Forward air as well as R&L in price.
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Apr 1, 2005 01:06PM)
Seems DHL is blowing everyone out of the water lately with their service! And you can't beat door to door service. How do they compare on international pricing, Magic4000?
Magic4000, I don't know how DHL beat Forward Air!!!!!! I just got an estimate from DHL that was more than FOUR times what I normally spend with Forward Air!

Jack
I use ForwardAir like crazy. They will ship just about anywhere in the mainland and I discovered that they ship to and from Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico.

I have used DHL, FedEx and UPS in the past and have had bad experiences with all. A funny story about DHL though is that I performed for a week in Anchorage, Alaska and shipped my two cases there because they were way too large and heavy to fit on the plane with me. When they arrived much to my surprise the label indicated that they WERE on the same flight that I was on.

Something else funny about DHL that I found out from my buddy that works for FedEx is that DHL doesn't even trust themselves enough to deliver their own pay checks, they use FedEx.

Matthew
The last time I used this is what happened:

I shipped ground to PA. FEDEX picked it up at my shop like always [I have an account]. They took it ALL the way to the destination State before they "flagged" it for being "too big", and yes you guessed it, sent it BACK to me!!!
They did $300 damage to the ATA case I built.

Anyone else think this senario is completely rediculous??

Jack
Hey Twinkie !!!
It does sound a bit wierd to label your cases like that but when you are shipping 15 to 30 at a time, it sure makes the BOL a lot easier to understand AND to fill out.
by the way:
FOR HIRE:
One stage hand that can memorize a small run of numbers AND road case colors !
Passport required !

Kline
I once used BAX Global when I got in a pinch. They worked well and where the cheapest I could find at the last minute.