(Close Window)
Topic: Mcabee rings
Hi everyone,
I have seen the Mcabee rings performed and I think that is a great effect, but when I look to buy it the price differs so much from dealers by 2 or 3 times.
I want to get a set that will look good and last. I have read some of the posts re- Ninja v Mcabee but I like the Mcabee rings.

Any advice will be welcome.

thanks
Dave.

I've bought a set now so I'll wait for the postman to come..

Dave
Martin Lewis has two sets available: There is a "silver-colored" set that was designed for practice, and a brass set (manufactured by Jim Riser) that is a beautiful presentation set.

Check out: http://www.magikraft.com and get them directly from Martin Lewis.

Regards,

Paul Green
Thanks Paul,
I'll look that up now.
I "treated" myself to the set made by Jim Riser about 2 years ago and have not been sorry. In fact, it's become one of my favorite routines. I love the fact that all can be passed out at the end for close examination.
Riser makes the McAbee Rings for Martin Lewis of MagiKraft. There are couple of different models to choose from.
I bought a set of Mcabee rings from someone here. In fact, I would strongly suggest that everyone that wants to buy something that is pricy first check this site to see if a magician wants to part with his. I got my 12" linking rings that way.
@rikbrooks:
that's for that idea
Guys;
FYI - Actually the better set that I make for Martin (I do not make the cheaper practice set) is crafted from pure/solid nickel silver rather than brass. It is not plated. It is the same metal all the way through - no plating to ever wear off. The original set of bracelets (1960's?) were gold plated steel and the gold wore off rather quickly. I wanted to avoid that wear problem.
Jim
Mr. Riser, didn't your web site show both the silver and the none silver sets? Sorry, if I was in error, but your site seemed to display both. I must have not interpeted the photos correctly.
Bill;
No, my site has only had the nickel silver sets I make. You probably saw the others on Martin's site. No big deal and no apology required. I just wanted to clarify things for everyone.
Jim
What exactly is this effect?
[quote]
On 2005-04-05 03:37, Frank Starsini wrote:
What exactly is this effect?
[/quote]

Close-up linking braclets. A video is available on Martin Lewis Magikraft site.

Check it out.
Frank;
I think Martin has a video of the routine on his site. At least he used to. I have not checked lately. It's a close up linking bracelet routine. At the conclusion, the performer is "clean" and all bracelets could be examined.
Jim
I love this effect! The Riser Rings are super!!!! Great Close up linking ring effect.
Check out the video at:

http://www.hanklee.org/hankievision/index.html

kOnO
I have a set of the Risers on the way to me now. I envision them fitting in perfectly in my "indoor street" set in Denmark in a few months.
I'm lusting over those Riser rings. I may have to await a birthday or maybe I'll try to work a trade for them. I'm wondering if Jim would be intersted in leather chop cups.
I just got them today. They look gorgeous! I'm so glad I went with the "upgrade" set. Now comes the hard part, learning how to use them.

Magikraft sells a switching mechanism for stand up work. One caution, it requires you to wear either a suit jacket or a shirt with a breast pocket. It would have been nice to know this before I bought it, but I think I can adapt it. It's much better than Mr. Lewis' original method, and unless you're good at crafty stuff, pay for the premade gimmick, not just the instructions.
The stand up switch does't require a gimmick. only a pen in your breast pocket. its at the end of the video
I usually do the routine standing using the switching gimmick and it works well for me. It does take some wardrobe planning to make sure you have a jacket or shirt pocket available. Purchased mine premade and havd given it so much use I'll need another soon.
I don't switch the gimmick out. I never allow the spectators to examine my props and if I let them examine these then it would make them wonder why I don't let them examine others.

I do a lot of the Shoot Ogawa routine with these.
Tex is right on! I have never switched the ring out. In my case, the routine is centered in an act that moves on to the next bit as the ring routine is finished. Pausing for examination of my props would kill the momentum I try to maintain. Plus the rings have been handled within the context of the routine. That is all the proving that is necessary.
Historic note: John Mullholland had a set of Linking Rings, bracelet size, on his secretary... and when the opportunit arose, he would say, "Madam, may I borrow your bracelets to show these fine people a bit of magic..."
[quote]
On 2005-04-09 03:27, STEVIE D wrote:
The stand up switch does't require a gimmick. only a pen in your breast pocket. its at the end of the video
[/quote]

This one is an improvement over the method you mentioned that is at the end of the video. Martin recommends if you don't like the breast pocket switch (I don't) that you try Per Helmark's switcher gimmick also offered on http://www.magikraft.com

This one operates very smoothly, logically much cleaner than hanging the ring on the pocket, which to me makes no sense at all. Yes, the two ideas are vaguely similar in purpose, but the switcher is so much nicer.

Also, if you so choose, this gadget should also work very well for packet switches of gaffed cards for straight ones.
The size of the Mcabee rings makes it also possible to "sleeve" the rings in and out if you are comfortable with sleeving.