(Close Window)
Topic: Sharpie
Hi Everybody.
Just wondering, why is Sharpie the most common pen or marker used for signed card effects (if it is)?
It is an easy to get hold of permenant marker that is thicker than a biro so more visible. Dries quickly and also allows the cheesy joke about "it's a permanent marker, look it says so on the side...oh it has rubbed off!"
It is vaguely wand like as well, in that you can use it for misdirection.
I think the main advantage of a sharpie is that it dries very quickly; an essential requirement for card magic. There are probably others out there that do a similar job, but I really can't be bothered to track them down, as the sharpie fulfills all my requirements.
Also, between gigs you can sniff the ink to great effect!
Nice one Doomo!

In Asia, they're pretty hard to come by forcing us magis to use other markers, which are cool. But I managed to get a hold of some Sharpies at a stationary shop and I noticed one big difference - that is the ink flow is more constant and even as opposed to the other markers I've used before.

Therefore, whatever is written on a card is more legible and the color is bolder.

That's why I use them anyways!

Take care,

Logan
It's strange. To be honest I don't think anyone would notice or care what brand of marker we use... the only people who do are magicians.

Maybe Sharpies are better quality and dry quicker, but most of us also use bicycle cards and they definately are NOT the best quality of cards on the market. Maybe we all just secretly want to fit in and don't want to be the only non-bicycle, non-Sharpie using magician in the group :P
I actually think the Sharpie, like the Bicycle Card Deck, is used most often because (to be ethnocentric) they are available, cheap, and familiar to an American audience. We've heard in other threads as well that they are not as available in other countries--I can't imagine it matters which permanent marker you use unless the Sharpie is gaffed in some way.

Flimnar
I use no-name permenent markers that look (shape wise) just like Sharpie. I paid a dollar for a 6 pack.

Nobody has said anything.

cards are a different story. Trick decks exist, and spectators know this (through TV exposure, etc,)

I don't know of any trick felt pen tricks that have been exposed.
Jay Sankey uses those Gianormous Pens, but I don't have room for those in my jeans pockets.
I don't know. I think a Sharpie is as essential as a wand. IMHO.
Well, I don't think they are as essential as a wand! I use a Marks-A-Lot marker. It's size is extremely exaggerated. It plays really well for a cool set of chuckles!!!
I think because every or almost magicians use itů
Regarding pen, take the smart advice of Roberto Giobbi, sign a card with a green pen instead blacků it is more visible especially on the black cards.
Cheers
Nick is spot on when he says most people wouldnt know what marker they are using, Im new to card magic but noticed today for the first time that I have been using sharpies for work for the past 4 years, YAY for me free sharpies lol
I use green or blue to sign cards.
I bought a bundle of sharpie lookalikes from RS Electronics in England about ten years ago for next to nothing. I've still got dozens left and they work perfectly!
The public knows the name "Sharpie" and that it's a permanent marker. So if you buy a gaffed Sharpie the public is clueless.
Sharpie has just been taken over by Papermate. They have been repackaged and slightly redesigned. The famous "Sharpie" writing on the side of the pen has changed too. So if you use the "4 of Spades" 'force' Sharpie - the writing will be different! (Just a small inconvenience!)

Check this out id you were wondering what on earth I was on about above re "4 of spades"...

http://www.cardsharpie.com/
[quote]
On 2005-04-10 12:42, Roger Kelly wrote:
Check this out id you were wondering what on earth I was on about above re "4 of spades"...

http://www.cardsharpie.com/
[/quote]
Thank you so much for the link :)(I saw them at Murphy's Magic Supplies then I found a dealer that sold them then I forgot which dealer is was so I bookmarked this page)

Happy Posting!
Jeremy L.
Really it is just because they are permanent,and are easy to read
[quote]
On 2005-04-10 21:00, magicmonkey99 wrote:
Really it is just because they are permanent,and are easy to read
[/quote]
And their common so everyone knows what they are and that thei not gimmicked (unless you buy a gimmicked one [i.e. Supper Sharpie])
[quote]
On 2005-04-10 06:29, Roger Kelly wrote:
Sharpie has just been taken over by Papermate. They have been repackaged and slightly redesigned. The famous "Sharpie" writing on the side of the pen has changed too. So if you use the "4 of Spades" 'force' Sharpie - the writing will be different! (Just a small inconvenience!)
[/quote]

Sanford is the parent company that manufactures Sharpie, Papermate, Expo, Uni-ball, etc. This has been the case for awhile. They acquired Papermate in 2000, which was one of their most recent. If Sharpie design has changed recently, it isn't because of a new company.

Kevin
I believe they are one of the most permenant marker pens you can get, also they were the first to do a pen style for writing and getting autographs.
all others were chisel tiped.

In Magic
Steve Dela
Here is a cool link for your own Personalized Sharpie

[url=https://secure.newellrubbermaid.com/sanford/consumer/sharpie/personalizesharpie/demo.jhtml?urlcode=6]Rubbermaid.com[/url]

BB

:firedevil:
[quote]
On 2005-04-04 01:43, Pants99 wrote:
Well, I don't think they are as essential as a wand! I use a Marks-A-Lot marker. It's size is extremely exaggerated. It plays really well for a cool set of chuckles!!!
[/quote]

Not only that, but there's an effect on Volume 1(?) of The Richard Sanders Show that uses a gimmicked Marks-A-Lot.

To be honest, unless you are trying to use a similar looking gimmick, I really don't think it matters what you use as long as the ink dries in time for you to use the marked card.

Mind you, a trick with a mark that smudges...Think of the possibilities!

DrSammy
Wow, what a link - thanks for that!! The only trouble is, they are only accepting orders from the USA. Is there anyone out there with a PayPal account - which I can credit with US Dollars, that would be so kind as to place an order for 25 of these $42.99 and whatever postage costs to the UK are incurred.

Or, does anyone know of a UK distributor offering the same service?

Cheers

Roger
Roger, I'd love to...but I am in Canada :(

I also would get me some of these.

Though I may order them to my relatives in the States. I'll see what I can do for you.

I've found a place where you can order custom lighters as well. Check the "Custom Supplies" thread.
Cheers Iceman - look forward to anything you can come up with.

Roger