(Close Window)
Topic: John Bannon (If you are a fan then read this!!)
I am excited to let you all know that John Bannon has said his new book, "Dear Mister Fantasy", is in the printers and is due out right when the LMVI convention starts on....JUNE 12!! Start marking off the days on your calender people! This is an all card book by John Bannon! He promises it to be very good and including:

"Dear Mr. Fantasy contains, among other things, Ace Assemblies (classic-style), a Triumph variation, some mathematical card tricks and locations, and a self-working poker deal"

I'm counting the days!
We've been waiting for so long! Awesome news!
I thought it was to be called "Cardzilla"? Or is that another book in the works by him?
Nope...it changed title I think
Does anyone know if the new book will repeat anything from his first two books, in particular "smoke and mirrors"? I don't have smoke and mirrors, but have heard good things about it, but obviously won't pursue the purchase of the new book if it is a compilation of the old.

thanks
As far as I know, this book is only new stuff by Bannon.
[quote]
On 2005-04-10 15:45, pepka wrote:
I thought it was to be called "Cardzilla"? Or is that another book in the works by him?

[/quote]

Here's a quote from John Bannon from the genii forums that will answer this question and give you some more information about the book.

[quote]Thanks to all for your interest and support.

I wanted to clear up any mystery about a forthcoming book. I have drafted a new book, called Dear Mr. Fantasy, which requires only (only!) final editing, some credit cites, photos, illustrations and production. The project is not vaporware and has its own critical mass, but is moving glacially. I had hoped to have it done already, but real life got in the way. Due to professional demands, I will not get back to it until November, so 2003 does not look likely. I am aiming for early 2004, hopefully in time for FFFF in April.

While not the magnum opus “Cardzilla” (that one must come later), Dear Mr. Fantasy will be all card tricks and all done with a regular deck (except for one packet trick). Among other things, the book will feature: “Degrees Of Freedom” (it’s not a card trick, it’s a toy); “Bullet Train” (a routine of three Ace assemblies; iconoclastic, syncopated, and interrobang); and “The Power Of Poker” (a bonus self-working poker deal by Dave Solomon).

Some of the material was previewed in my lecture at the TSD convention earlier this year. I note the discussion of “Last Man Standing,” and I am glad it seems to be surviving the crucible. If there is interest, I’ll post the current write-up (though no photos/illustrations yet) on Chris Aguilar’s “Conjure Nation” board.

Thanks again.[/quote]

Here's where it's posted at: http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000097;p=
Yes the quote in my original post is the latest from Bannon himself. He will be having a book of ONLY card effects that are BRAND NEW. However (to DOCELK) I would highly recomend searching out for S and M as it is a FANTASTIC book. There is enough good material in there to create an entire restaurant act. I am currently reading it and it is fantastic.
Thanks for this information!!! :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:
I think I just found the only item I'll be putting on my Father's Day Wish List!

Gary
I will have to get this one!
Awesome
Any news to this? Out on June 12th? Still?
Anyone know how much will it be?
Does Bannon have a website?
[quote]
On 2005-05-06 23:28, David Eichler wrote:
Does Bannon have a website?
[/quote]

Not that I know of
He is creating one to promote the book.

Matt Field
Then what I said in an other thread, that I guessed that he is going to publish the book himself, must have had been accurate.
It's 1 month away..when is he gonna take pre orders?
[quote]On 2005-05-07 05:33, MField2000 wrote:
He is creating one to promote the book.[/quote]
And the url is . . . ?
15th of May now...can't wait
http://www.johnbannonmagic.com/ youppiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Just ordered mine!!!!!
I ordered mine as well. He's leaked some of these effects on another message board and they're really incredible. I can't wait.
Wow... I for one am exited about this... I've been a hug fan of John Bannon's ever since I won a copy of smoke and mirrors. That quickly became my favorite book until Card College reared it's head.

I can't wait to see what he's come up with now.
I'm having trouble with the URL for the website. I hope I can get through too!
I, too, am having trouble with the URL. Anyone else?
John posted on another forum that there's some unexplained server trouble. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Paul
[quote]
On 2005-05-25 00:09, Paul Sherman wrote:
John posted on another forum that there's some unexplained server trouble. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Paul
[/quote]

Thanks!!
I'm having trouble with the URL too
I too have problem of accessing it. :(

Andrew
It's back online...just ordered it!
Not to gloat but I get to pick mine up at LVMI and I can't wait to read through this one.
ORDERED MINE...I'M SO EXCITED THAT I'M GONNA C**!
I ordered mine as well; can't wait!

Jered S.
I haven't ordered mine yet!!!

I'm excited!!

Trini
Hi folks,

Any ideas about this book's effects???

Are these effects in print of John Bannon's books before???

Thanks!

Andrew
Just by viewing the table of contents, these are all new effects. I appears that he has put a variation of his ace cutting routine from Smoke and Mirrors, but my guess would be that he considers this to be an improvement over the versions he published in Smoke and Mirrors.

I'm looking forward to receiving my copy of the book. It should be great.
I personally think his other books were terrific. Excellent value for quality material.

My order for the new book is in. Hopefully he's shipping daily as soon as he receives the days orders.
Message: Posted by: The Count of Three (May 25, 2005 10:54PM)
The server's working and the book sounds great.

I noticed the website says: "DMF is available now from this web site (while supplies last) and will be available everywhere on June 12."

I know it just became available... but I wonder if it might sell out before June 12 and becomes UNavailable everywhere!? Is that possible?

What size print run do you think it has?
I just posted elsewhere in reference to John's book. I was fortunate enough to read an advanced copy of this book - need I say more than BUY IT! Also, you should be aware that my understanding is that John will NOT be reprinting it so once this print run is sold out it is GONE! And it will sell quickly. Great material, great production, etc. in the typical manner of John Bannon. John will be at LVMI premiering this book at which point it will be available from your favorite dealer as of June 12th. I don;t think you have to worry that it will sell out before June 12th as a supply is ready and reserved to send out to dealers worldwide. However, I wouldn't wait too long as this is destined to become a collector's item. John rarely lectures anymore so this is an event you will not want to miss. I STRONGLY recommend this new book. If you like Bannon's work you will LOVE this book.

Tim Trono
http://www.johnbannonmagic.com/ :

I think John should publish a brief text of the content of every effect in this new book on his web: is it gambling, math, memo stacks, weird, mental card magic or? New effects or old ones with a twist?
Just sent my CHEQUE to John, can't wait to read his book. :)

Andrew
Should I order 3 copies since it's so popular and Tim Trono mentioned that it will not be back in print? haha
We've been waiting for so long! Awesome news!
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=118017&forum=110&39
I received the book; I haven't had time to get into it but at a cursory glance it looks great.

Jered S.
Had it sent to my folks house in Arizona. Must wait another ten hours before we arrive arrghhh!
Got it last week...and I finished reading it.

It's everything we have come to expect from Bannon...very thought-provoking effects and essays...I have a feeling many will not agree with Bannon in his essays, but the effects are wonderful!
I cannot wait to pick this book up, as an big John Bannon fan, this was excellent news to me. I was finally able to track down a copy of Smoke and Mirrors last month, so hearing about this was almost too good to be true!
I have heard a lot of Bannon that he is insane such as from his book Smoke and Mirrors so I will definitely pick up a copy. I can promise you that.

Andrew Virga
This book is packed with real, practical tricks...not some new methods where the practical aspect is in question...they all work....

I've read half way through...and I've read quite a few awesome tricks so far
Hope that there'll be more to come!