(Close Window)
Topic: A Metals Question
Message: Posted by: MattTheKnife (Apr 16, 2005 11:22AM)
I need to paint some portions of a piece that I have that's done in bronze (the metal, not the color) to black. I've heard that some sort of acid is placed on to the metal in order to change the properties of the metal and in so doing change the color rather than using just a paint that'll invariably chip off.

Does anyone know anything about this? If so please fill me in. Thanks!

-Matt (TK)
Message: Posted by: Tom Lauten (Apr 16, 2005 11:42AM)
Try going to a gun shop, they do a "cold blueing" system that might do the job.
Message: Posted by: kregg (Apr 16, 2005 07:03PM)
Popular Science has a book titled Workshop Formulas, Tips & Data. Not sure if it's still in print, but, it's worth owning.
Message: Posted by: Paul Arthur (Apr 16, 2005 07:05PM)
Perhaps a powder coat shop? Powder coat finishes are extremely tough and withstand lots of abuse.....
Message: Posted by: MattTheKnife (Apr 17, 2005 11:03AM)
Thanks Kregg! That was precisely the sort of thing that I was looking for. My desire and intent is to do it myself in the fashion that you recommended.

Hopefully the solution that you suggested that works on copper will also work on bronze as well (since, as you also pointed out, bronze is comprised of copper and tin).

If anyone happens to know if there’s a different chemical solution for bronze then please PM me.

Thanks all!

-Matt (TK)