(Close Window)
Topic: Appearing cane questions and thoughts on one....
Hi, I am new to this area of the forum and usually stick to the 'up in smoke' section, but I found an appearing cane on ebay and wanted your opinions on it

It says it doesn't need oiling and won't lose it's color, true? What about the price?

But my main questions are,

1. I have heard a lot about them cutting people, well, when does this happen? I have seen posts that say it is when you c**lapse the appearing ones, some that say it is when they appear and some that say it is only the vanishing ones? (I already have Fantasio products, mainly candles but I think for a cane they will be to slow, that's why I want a metal one)

2. With Fantasio vanishing candles they can be made to appear, what about the vanishing canes, can they be made to appear? and if so how well?

3. Well, umm, ok, I can't think of any more, but what do you think of the one on ebay, I think it will be able to be veiwed till the end of July?

Thank you in advance, daz
I have 2 of the same canes and if you buy them from a magic shop you will be looking to spend about 22 fantisio products never brake so I would buy it if I was you.

Lukas
The cane in the auction is a fantasio and is therefore NOT metal. This cane is made from the same plastic material as your candles. So obviously getting cut is not a possibility. You probably can't produce a vanishing cane like you can with a vanishing candle without some very creative handling. In my opinion plastic vanishing canes are great, but plastic appearing leave some things to be desired. They are much slower than metal, they tend to be wobbly looking after they appear and they can only comfortably hold a 9 inch silk (maybe 12in diamond cut). So if I were you, I would stick to plastic for your vashing canes and invest in a good quality (harakhan) metal appearing cane.
Wow. that cane is really cheap, they retail over here is OZ for $100 each, perhaps I will be ordering overseas next time...
I used appearing canes for about 15 years and I don't ever remember getting cut. I'm sure it can happen, but I suppose you can get cut with anything with an edge if you try hard enough. I would not let those stories stop you. The metal canes do require a very small amount of care but are well worth the investment over plastic, not to mention that just operate so much better than the plastic ones in my opinion.
The cheaper quality metal canes have really, really sharp edges. As a result, when you go to close them, you can really shred your hands. I purchased a cheaper quality cane one time from an auction site and, sure enough, it was razor sharp. it didn't really matter too much to me though, because I was going to modify it anyways. I turned it into an appearing golf club instead.

Having taken a look at the cane in your link, it looks like a silver cane instead of a black one. That's why it will not fade. But despite what they say about the cane, I would still lubricate it from time to time. This will prevent any rust from forming on the cane over time.

To this day, I still use my metal Walsh appearing cane and wouldn't trade it for anything else. I bought it over 30 years ago and I have never had a problem with it.

Kent
I agree with Norrabmagig. If you want a great, maintenace free metal cane than go with a harakhan cane. No lubrification needed. They are available in different colors at Hocu Pocus.
So when are the appearing canes likely to cut or hurt? is it only when you close them? I would of thought that it would be when you open them?

I cannot afford a harakhan cane, so will have to go with this one if any at all, so you think it is ok, but still lubricate from time to time, that is ok with me I think.

thanks so far... keep it coming!!!
You won't need to lubricate this cane you are bidding for, and there is no risk of getting cut... because it is a fantasio cane! It is made of plastic.

For the record, you are bidding for a Fantasio Plastic Appearing Cane.
This is the indian model, they are cheep and poorly made. Stay away from it. Go with Harakhan or at the very least the german variety. Canes are one of my specialties I own more than 12 different types. Spend the money, You will be glad you did.
So when is it likely to hurt you? when you close it up or when it opens? I think I have heard it is when it is being closed? daz
Depending on how you handle the cane, it could hurt you when you open and/or close the cane. And when I say hurt, I mean a deep cut with blood dripping from your hand. I've seen one magician get hurt this way in the middle of a show and it wasn't pretty. If this is the cheap version, DO NOT GET IT.

If you do get a cheap version, DON'T SAY WE DIDN'T WARN YOU.

Kent
Well before that post I bought it, wonder why I am having second thoughts?! I will wait and see, maybe I should use gloves first? or would a silk soften the opening of it? cheers for the heads up though, I wont blame if it draws blood. BUT IF IT doesn't! lol, kidding, I will tell all tomorrow or whenever it arrives! daz
If it is a decent metal cane, you have gotten yourself a pretty good deal. However, if it is one of the cheaper ones, there won't be much you can do to save your skin. That one cane that I saw was sharp enough to cut through a pair of leather gloves.

Kent
We will find out soon..... maybe!
I don't like the appearing can I don't think it is that effective.
Well, I have had an email off the guy, and apparently his supplier has sent him fantasio canes by mistake so I will have to wait until early next week for them to come in :-( oh well, I can wait! ... I think! lol, daz
Strong metal vanishing canes can cut you as they whip closed but I also know of a magician that came close to losing an eye when his metal appearing cane appeared before he meant it to. As it was he suffered a cut and bruised face. Metal canes are fine if you stick to the better quality ones and handle then with repect.
Well I had the cheap version back and I must say it is excellent, far better than I thought it would be. And I cannot see myself being cut by it in the near futre as I think I handle it correctly. It will take a VERY large silk and just swallow it up! At the moment I am using a silver ribbon with it to change to a cane and it has a brilliant effect. It is noisy but not as much that was on the video in the auction. To cover this just use a silk! it muffles the sound very good and is almost silent! or I use a modleing ballon but I havnt tried that yet. (it takes 2 frames to open on the security camera to open in our shop! much quick than the eye I think!) overall very happy with it! daz
Hi!

What exactly do you do with the cane once it's produced? Besides dancing cane, what effects do you use it for? Or maybe it is just for style?

Thanx!
I just use it for style I guess. I think it is to heavy for a dancing cane, I havnt had one of these but I was recommed to get one yesterday by a fellow magi. daz
Anyone got square to circle to cane by mayoral, whats your verdict, will it damage silk ?