(Close Window)
Topic: Turning Point
Hey everyone, Im facing a pretty big turning point in my life - whether to go to Uni , or get a job away from home.

I would like to know what the performers amongst you do for a living-
Do you perform full-time, and how do you go about this, how did you begin?
Do you perform part-time, what do you do the rest of the time?

Don't be worried that I will base my life on what you say, I'm just looking for additional information to help me reach a conclusion, seeing as mentalism and magic are the only things I really care about and wish to do in the long run.

Tom.
Get yourself to University man..you can do your Magic there...and you can't beat a good education.

Howard
The biggest problem I've run into as of late is the "too many moves to learn and not enough people to put 'em on," issue.

There are days I drive past the campus's here and wonder what it would have been like to be in amongst those masses, playing/practicing with all those suggestible student minds as a peer/confidant, instead of hawking them from the outside as 'targets' like I do now.
in hindsight, I'd never have skipped school to chase the dollar.

Based on what you said though, seems like you've the oppurtunity to combine all your interests into one well thought out move. Head off to school away from where you live now, see something new, and have the chance to be around a huge base of open-minded 'spectators,' all the while clocking credits towards a degree.

Turning point? I think you've hit the sweet spot. =)
I agree with Howard. Get the degree. What are you considering majoring in?

best regards,
Tony Razzano
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Apr 21, 2005 04:34PM)
I'm going to speak out of turn on this one.
I am NOT a full time performer, and only a hobyist in magic.

Unless you are currently making money hand over fist, and saving (or WISELY investing that pile of money) you are looking at a fork in the road.

Few people who turn away from college in their prime get back to college before their middle age. I know two people in their late forties who are trying to finish their degrees, and it is a slow process.

The college experience of gaining some experience in the liberal arts and some mastery in reading, reasoning and rhetoric are useful wherever you go, and whenever you want, in almost any field of endeavor.

If you are able and interested in gaining an education, please do so while you have the chance, and are young enough to make all the mistakes you can where it is safe.

The billets, NCR paper, tricky pens and dual reality principle will be around when you are done with the papers in school and able to mingle with a higher class of client.
Thanks a lot, you've made me see my options in a new light.

Trinity, Im not sure yet - more thinking time needed.

Thanks a lot again, you've been a lot of help. Tom.
Go to school now or you never will, beleive me, my 4 years went by so fast and now I can enjoy things many can't afford
My university years were the best years of my life as far as intellectual and philosophical awakening are concerned. And if I had known metalism by then, I would have had a very interesting crowd of people to perform for.

Sincerely
Matt
Tom,
As someone just about to graduate from Uni, I heartily recommend it. It makes a [i]great[/i] training ground for practicing magic - you will find so many opportunities to perform it. I've performed informally for friends, acquaintances and strangers; I've had ten minute stage slots and performed walkaround at university events; I've hired out rooms in pubs to put on parlour shows; and I've just talked to the events manager of an old Victorian theatre and will be putting on a show there next month.

Oh, and if that's not enough, you learn a lot (about your chosen subject and life in general), you meet [i]great[/i] people, and you have no end of opportunities for joining societies and taking up new hobbies. My advice in a nutshell: Go.

Give me a PM if you want to chat about it further.
Be well,
Stephen
It was in university (Bristol) where I learned my magic/hypnotic/mentalist skills. And as a free by-product I happened to pick up a degree.
Imagine an audience at every moment of your life for the next four years. It would actually be impossible NOT to become highly proficient.
To conclude; do what you need to do to be who you want to be.

Remember Tom: 'Aut inveniam viam aut faciam'(I shall either find or make a path).

baker street.
ps: you also might get laid more
Thanks everyone, I think those are some great points to consider - I'll see how it goes. Thanks a lot AGAIN - great advice and not just concerning performance.

Yours, Thomas DeVoe.