(Close Window)
Topic: greatest dove work of all time..
Lance Burton- the gas light routine...
I can't agree with you on that one... it's gotta be Jason Byrne's act... I love it with a passion... oh can't forget Dimmare!!
Hey Ben. you seem to know your stuff!
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but have you SEEN Burton's FISM Grand Prix winning routine?

The music (Spring from The Four Seasons by Vivaldi), the candles, the canes, the gloves, the french cuffs, the silks, the doves... Oh man it's perfect.
Yes... I've seen it.... and to tell you the truth.... I didn't like it that much... there are some way better dove workers.... Amos Levkovitch, George Saterial and Greg Frewin.
All of the names listed are indeed great dove workers but the title of this forum suggests the "greatest of all time". You guys are forgetting names like Channing Polluck and General Grant. Maybe they're a little before your time but their acts are flawless as well. Of course there's always myself. :lol: Just kidding. I'd never include myself in a list of names like this. Who knows, maybe someday we'll see names like Ben Schwartz and Rodney Massey among the list of greats.

Dave
Hi Dave! Thanks for your reply.

Rest assured I did not exclude Channing Pollock from my all-time finalists. He was incredible and I have seen his act countless times. However, Burton's act is one of the greatest magic acts in history. Close-up, stage, whatever. The way he tosses his cigarette to the floor. The very way his fingers stiffen when removing his scarf from his neck-the way his eyebrow tilts when taking off his gloves-his stance-everything-every single breath and blink of that short championship routine is absolutely rehearsed to perfection. I won't even mention the timing, the style, the mystique...

I respect both of your opinions.

Channing was Burton's Idol.

Greg Frewin's steals may be perfecly invisible, but his magic act doesn't hold a candle to Lance Burton's.
Oh my gosh... I completely forgot about Channing.... uhhh... now I feel like an idiot. He is by far one of my favs.
My favorite "Bird Act" has always been "Dirk Arthur". Jay Scott Berry had a cool dove act years ago when he played a futuristic character.

Let us not forget Paula Paul!
[quote]
On 2002-10-08 03:12, BenSchwartz wrote:
I can't agree with you on that one... it's gotta be Jason Byrne's act... I love it with a passion... oh can't forget Dimmare!!
[/quote]

Ben, it pleases me to no end that you are so passionate about Jason Byrne's act.

I was fortunate to be Jason's first magic mentor here in Windsor Ontario and it is a thrill to see how far this young man has gone in the magic world. He was without doubt one of my best students and one day I was shocked upon stumbling upon his website at http://www.jasonbyrne.com (I had no idea he had one at the time) to find thoughtful recognition of all his mentors, including this 'Ould' wizard and his photo no less!

We are very pleased that he makes time to keep in touch by email, phone calls and once in awhile, a surprise visit.

He is currently appearing with his lady in Vegas.
Mine would probably have to be Channing Pollock, Lance Burton, Jason Burne, Dimmare, Greg Frewin, and can't forget Shimada.
I vote for Shimada. Then Lance Burton.
His name is spelled Jason Byrne... sorry he is a good friend of mine so I kinda gotta stick up for him ;) lol
I'm a big fan of all the above, but I will probably go with Pollock. He invented so many of the moves we use today. Also, his steals are smooth, that I watch him over and over just to admire the move. Lance does much of the same stuff, but even he isn't quite as smooth. If you've never seen him perform before, find a tape ANYWHERE.

Sable
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
I agree that all of the above performers are great. I really like Jason Byrnes act but even more than him I like Johnathan David Bass. I think Johnny Thompson is good also.
Well, I'll toss a few pennies in the fountain, as well as, add two new names to the list.

1) Hamners

2) Byrne (saw it live and it was much cooler than on TV)

3) Pollock

4) Shimada

5) Tamaka
All of the choices mentioned are excellent. But, unless I'm wrong, no one has mentioned Sylvan, Chen Kai, Cantu, Tony Torino, Ron Urban, or Robert Downey. These guys all deserve to be in the "top ten."
My all time favorite has to be Channing, with Lance and Bob Downey very close on his heels. Jay Marshall is also a big Bob Downey fan. (Guess I should say was, since Downey is no longer with us.)
Dennis Loomis
http://www.dennisloomis.com/dai.html
Along with Channing Pollock and General Grant I would also include Joseph Gabriel, the great Mexican magician, as among my favorite dove workers. However, since I've been out of magic for some time, I can't really comment on some of the new young performers around today but, I hear that Steve Santorelis (sic) is quite exceptional.

By the way, can anyone tell me where I can get video performances of any of the great dove workers mentioned on this forum?
I would really like to see some old performances of Channing Pollock doing his dove act again on video. :righton:
Pollock and Shimada!

Great elegant magic unlike anything I've ever seen. Two greats who will always inspire manipulators/dove workers.
Shimada always remains my favorite.

He mentions in his video that Pollock further impacted his love for the art in the movie European Nights - which Shimada had to pay to view over and over at the cinema - pre home vcr/dvd days. Hehehehe.

Love them both.

Randy Stewart
I am also a big fan of Lance Burton's dove act, with Channing Pollock a close second. Lance Burton so beautifully entwines candles amongst the doves, creating a brilliantly perfect magical atmosphere and routine.
Geoff Ray :magicrabbit:
I like Jason Byrne's act very well.
Greg Frewin's performance also looks very good.
So does Burton's.

Unfortunately I have neither seen Shimada nor Pollock performing.
What about Tony Clark, and his "phantom of the opera" act. It's very polished and deserves credibility for originality.

Jason Byrnes act, is great, and especially his "play-dough" production, as well as his twin birdcage production.

Regards,
MavericK^ :crazydude:
Maverick, you are correct. I don't know how I could have forgotten Tony Clark. He was one of my inspirations when I got started working with doves. He should definitely be on this list.

Dave
I always admired Bobby Clark, a personal friend and one of the early pioneers in the work. From what I understand, designed some of Pollock's dove bags. What he may have lacked in grace he made up for in guts and creativity. Very bold productions.
It has to be Amos Levkovitch, by far. Between the character and the dove handling he should be on the top of the list. The end of his show when they all fly back from the audience is amazing.
Can anyone tell me where I can find videos of any of the great dove workers mentioned on this forum, particularly one of Channing Pollock? Incidentally, General Grant does his act on his two part teaching video called "How To Make A Living Stealing...Doves Of Course." It is worth getting if you're serious about doing dove work. :righton:
Aren't you guys forgetting Tony Clark and Victor and Diamond.
Dynamike: Tony Clark was mentioned in two previous posts and rightly so. Only my personal opinion but while Victor and Diamond are good, I don't know if I'd classify them as the greatest of all time.
My bad. :pout: I didn't see Tony Clark previously. But I do like Victor's lecture tape.
Quite a few of these are a bit 'afore my time, but deserve mention nonetheless, for blazing a new path, for those of us to follow.

The Kardwells
Channing Pollock
Don Alan
Paul Mc Kamy
Cantu
Jack Kodell
Ermando
Richard Cardini
Jack Gwynn
Tung Pin Soo (Al Wheatley, confetti in soup plates to dove creator)
Mystic Hanson Trio
Ron Urban
Ballantine "Come out Flying!"
Carl Naether
Jimmy Reneaux
and of course "DEL RAY"

Respectfully submitted,
While I might not have seen quite as many dove acts as some of you as it is not my forte. I have to say although I love Shimada, Gabriel, Cielen and of course Pollock.

Lance Burtons Gaslight routine is simply the smoothest and most attractive dove routine ever.

I know its been seen a million times and has lost some of its special quality to magicians but it is simply the best.

Matt
I think a guy who has a totally killer act that just makes you sit back at the end and go "WHOA" is Rick Thomas. Although he may not be as original as some other workers, as far as he's not like molding clay to birds and turning doves to snakes (I mean no offense to Jason or Jonathan, p.s. "hey guys") But Rick is just plain smooth and a commanding performer with a strong act that I think deserves a lot of credit.
Has anyone ever heard of Dan Birch, another excellent dove worker. One of the best I've seen. You can catch his act at:
http://www.danbirch.com/video_gallery.htm

Let me know what you think of him. :righton:
I have seen Dan perform and think his act is tremendous. He has some very original stuff and is a smooth performer.
I haven't seen so much reference to dove acts, therefore I cannot guess at the greatest.

Channing Pollock however, I have seen clips from his act on television, this was a dream to watch and I look forward to seeing more.

Shimada I know by reputation alone, I also look forward to seeing this act.

As for Lance Burton's FISM act, this is what has recently inspired me to look further into dove's. I may be new to the subject, but I am not new to magic or routine building.

This act is a wonder to watch. His stage presence is second to none. I have seen dove workers produce six, seven or eight doves, vanish a couple here and there and finish with the cage vanish, while this is obviously possible to structure meaningfully, it seems to require a remarkable performer to be able to carry it off. I have seen manipulators go on and on with card productions and vanishes for ever and a day, without structure or meaning. I have seen respected close up workers bore an audience in lecture with fifteen minute card routines.

If I ever see a dove act I prefer to this one I will be over the moon. I'm in no position to disagree with anyone naming great acts I've yet to see. However, I do agree with those who have mentioned this act.
Burtons FISM Grand Prix Dove Act.....

Ok ok..I'm a little biased. Lance has ALWAYS been my favorite magician of all time.

Chris
You can get a 1959 film called "European Nights" for $42.50 from Stevens Magic Emporium. It has Channing Pollock performing his world famous dove act. This is the act that spawned hundreds of other dove acts. His act is still considered one of the best ever, even though some of the new methods of producing doves, such as bare hand productions, were not known then. A very attractive, elegant, polished and sophisticated act.

Tony Clark, Shimada and Gen. Grant who is at ggmagic@aol.com all have teaching videos in which they also perform their dove acts. These are also quite excellent.

Dan Birch can be seen doing his very original dove act on his website given above in my last post. http://www.danbirch.com

George Saterial is on the 1991 NYCAN MAGIC CONVENTION doing his dove act with his signature Grandfather's clock. There are some other great dove acts that can be seen on some of The ABBOTTS Get-togethers from 1992, 1993 and 1994. The clips and portions of acts include Jason Byrne, Dr. Thiet and Amos Levkovitch.

Lastly, Cardini as well as Channing Pollock and Lance Burton can be seen on the PBS SPECIAL two part video which I believe is called "The Art of Magic", is also available at Stevens Magic.

BTW, awhile ago, I actually asked this same question you just asked. The resulting information in this post was obtained by doing my own research. I hope this information helps you.

In fact, I'm in search of two of Amos Levkovitch's teaching videos in which he also does his act in one of them. They are called: "Dove Tails' and "Just do it", which includes his fabulous dove act. His act has a spectacular finish but, I won't tell you what it is for fear of spoiling it for you.
His website is http://www.amosmagic.com

Good luck.
Lance Burton, Rick Thomas and Jason Byrne are among my favorite modern performers, but Channing Pollock is wicked awesome!!
Dan Sperry

If you haven't seen him, DON'T MISS IT!!!
Shimada gets first place with me and has for twenty years among the better known doves acts. But the most impressed I have ever been with a dove act was one that booked through a booking agency I owned in the early 1960s. His name was Mercer Helms and he was among the very first magicians ever featured on HBO. The man was a natural stage act. Not only did he do flawless magic, but he also had looks, could move like a dancer, and charm an audience from "Hello". He married into a well known television family and apparently quit performing. I doubt that he ever belonged to a magic club, wrote a book, took part in a magic competition, or lectured at a magic convention. None of those sound like the man I knew. But his dove work was definitely magic!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Johnny Thompson.

Enough said.
Astinus, interesting choice. Care to explain why Johnny, compared to the others that were mentioned? Johnny is a tremendous performer but I personally never would have put him in the greatest of all time category.
Both Chaning Pollock and Shimmada are great but my favorite dove/bird worker today is Marko Krvo from Finland he has been at Lido de Paris in Paris France for over five years I think and he will open at lidos new Paris Cabaret " Le Taitbout" the frist of May.
Check him out at his webpage http://www.markokarvo.com
Like I said much earlier, I think Channing Pollock was the greatest Dove Worker that ever lived because of his elegance, simplicity and originality. Note, there were no fast or sudden moves which are neccessary nowadays with sl...e tosses and invisable ha....ses. His st...ls were impeccable, one was a st...l from the t...ls, with him standing with his side facing the audience on the same side he made the st...l. I first saw Channing perform on the Ed Sullivan Show on March 7, 1954. Although, I had been doing magic for about two years at the time, that was the moment when I decided that I wanted to get serious about magic. Two years later in Nov. of 1956, when I was 14 years old, I won the Junior, under sixteen, Competition doing a dove act. This took place in Boston at the New England S.A.M. Convention.

I recently learned from my friend Ray Goullet that Cardini also did a dove act late in his career when he was working cruise ships. Did anyone ever see him do birds? Apparently, he was a great fan of dove acts.

Also, I wish I had seen Cantu perform, a pioneer of dove magic, but I was only seven years old when he was killed in a car accident in 1949.

:magician:
Dave,

I know you look younger holding a baby, but you have to remember seeing Johnny Thompson doing dove magic. (By the way, Lucy and I saw Pam and Johnny two years ago and Johnny got a better deal on hair than you and I did. His is still dark!) What Johnny Thompson can't do well in magic could be listed in match book cover and written with a bold magic marker. He has more talent than ought to be legal. People tend to miss it because he is such a comic to go with it. His work is no joke! It is pure art. Pam is the best actress on the magic stage.

Incidentally, Pam has a great lecture for stage magic assistants. Book it for a convention. She and Lucy give the same advice: own your own magician.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I worked backstage with Johnny Thompson for a couple of weeks at Magic Island. What that man has invented for dove work is phenomenal. He may be a funnyman, but his dove work is flawless. Everything in his act is there for a reason -- there is not one steal that isn't perfectly motivated.

I do like Lance Burton's act -- who doesn't? But I still put Johnny in first place.
Bill and Bob, don't misunderstand what I said. I absolutely agree that Johnny is an outstanding performer in every field, he just didn't rush into my mind when I read the topic title of "greatest dove worker of all time" compared to Pollock or Shimada.

I tend to agree that it's probably because of his comic approach to magic. His steals are impeccable and presentation is his middle name.
Dave,

We know the choice is too hard to be a fair one. The real bottom line is that we just keep good company.

Live magic is so different from broadcast magic until we have to spread "best" around to just who you can get to see work. Some day it would be nice to have the "dove magic tour" like the golfers have. Those on the tour could see top dove workers all over the world, one after the other. Just think, see an act, climb back on the plane and go see the next act! What a tough life! How would you know when you died? (I suppose it would be when you didn't hear the jet engines.)

There are some really great dove workers out there and I'll never get to see them all. Maybe I should switch to turtle magic? It couldn't be near as humbling. In fact, I don't know a single turtle magician. Then I could write a book: "Come Out Snoring".

Bill, am I too late? (Again?)

Bob
Chenkai is awesome I saw Lance Burton dedicate his show to Chenkai in Vegas at Hacienda hotel he said "Chenkai is one of the masters of Dove act,he inspired me in my F.I.S.M act". Chenkai is very creative now he has a show with a close jacket....is awesome!!!!
Best overall IMO: Channing Polluck
My personal favorite's to watch: Amos Levkovitch, Johnny Thompson & Rick Thomas.

Most studied to date: Tony Clark

MM
I don't know about you guys but Dan Sperry has a good act. I think Burton is top though. Dan Birch is amazing.
I was fortunate to meet Greg Fruen (?) at PCAM 2003. He was a great guy and had an awesome routine. BUT no offence, I slept through his lecture. lol;)
Jason Byrne is amazing. I teach at a magic studio and we show all of our students his act on the internet and tell them if they work hard enough, they can be like him.
I wish I could have seen "Double Vision". I don't know if anyone remembers the act Greg Fruen and Jason Byrne made.
I'm not a dove worker at all. Never have been and never will. I do watch the acts though. After reading alot about dove work I started watching the performers and have seen most of them mentioned. They are all excellent performers with excellent acts.

I have to be honest though, aside from Channing's ground breaking work, most of what I've seen looks fairly similar and just doesn't inspire me. It doesn't amaze my wife either who isn't involved in magic at all.

However, when we both saw Greg Ferwin perform, we both looked at each other and said, "WOW!" That was the freshest act I had seen in years.

I guess the ultimate question is, "would I pay to see it again?" I would definately pass the palm with silver to see Greg.

I would like to see Jason at some time. I haven't seen him.
No offence but when I saw Frewin, I liked his act, actually loved it, but I didn't like his stage character. I dunno what it was about him but... he seemed like "cocky". For example, he showed us his new metimorphis box, and when he changed he was like "YEAH" "ALRIGHT" "WATCH THIS" almost like he was showing off. But on the other hand, his technical skill was spectacular. I'm not suprised hes one of the top dove magicians in the world. But best of all, hes Canadian. How many Canadian magicians have you seem make it that big? (well other than Jason Byrne?)Exactly. Not a lot. GO FREWIN!!!
There are two performance styles in dove magic, smooth and groovy, we would have to put
in Groovy:
Jason Byrne
Greg Ferwin
James Dimmare
in Smooth:
Channing Pollock
Lance Burton

Those are my top selection, all though there is a Dove worker in Mexico named SPIDER, Ive never seen him in a TV special (saw him live) but he is SPECTACULAR, he should definately be on the list, anybody herd of him?
Well sorry toi say guys but in about 5 years you will ba saying Desmond Jorden is the best!! eekkk,

inspire!!
To dj trix, two questions..

1. who is Desmond Jorden?
2. Who inspires you?
I once saw Pollack perform live and was pretty close to the stage...I knew his act...I knew his moves and what he was doing to accomplish the effects...there is one spectacular effect where he throws two doves into the air and they become fire. Most of us know HOW he did this and where they really went....BUT on this day my eyes were glued to his hands and they never went down BELOW his hips...they stopped at his hips...he fired those birds from that level (!!!) and I didn't catch it. Those who know the move know how big the cajones had to be to do that one that way!

Channing Pollack. What a show! His card manipulation kept me out of the card biz...big hands too...the guy seemed to be able to palm two decks front and back...
I recently had the privilege of seeing Dan Sperry perform at the Abbotts convention. "WOW" pure magic. Truly a memorable dove act. This is as smooth as it gets. He's a dove master with a whole lot of style. Receiving a standing ovation for his performance speaks for it's self. Try to catch him. He's one you won't want to miss.
There is an underground guy named Baltazar Fuentes... When he was younger he did a dove act where he produced 13 doves! Not that the number matters but his technique is so different from others. Only one other magician (that he taught) uses his technique. He no longer does this "dove stuff", though; maybe some of you out there have heard of him? Roy
1960's- Channing Pollack
1970's- Shamada
1979-80's-Lance Burton
Today the rest follow
Definitely Channing Pollock, he inspired todays dove workers, and so without him the dove work tady would be years behind, also his stereotypical magicians appearance, imitated by many but rarely pulled off, one of my magical idols definitely

Tom
All of the magician's mentioned thus far are indeed fantastic dove workers.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe it was Cantu who inspired Channing Pollack to add doves to his act.
Also, Lance's Gas Light act can be found in Ian Adair's Dove Encyclopedia, "Under the Lamp Post." But, man did Lance bring the text to life. Thank you Ian Adair!

Kregg
I think you're right, there's all sorts of cool stuff in those old books. Any time I need to look into some magic principal or whatever I go back to the beginning in those old texts and more often than not I find even more than I ever wanted...

sperris

Posted: Aug 26, 2004 10:38pm
Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------

On 2004-08-24 23:45, lordblasto wrote:
I recently had the privilege of seeing Dan Sperry perform at the Abbotts convention. "WOW" pure magic. Truly a memorable dove act. This is as smooth as it gets. He's a dove master with a whole lot of style. Receiving a standing ovation for his performance speaks for it's self. Try to catch him. He's one you won't want to miss...
------------------------------------------
Cool man, rawk on dude! I appreciate the good words, hopefully we'll run into each other again and maybe this time actually talk or something and get to know each other. Rick Thomas is still a smooth dude in my opinion though...

SperriS
Hi Sperry

Yes! I agree with you, Rick Thomas is indeed great. But I noticed his dove toss (to tail) is standing towards the front of the audience instead of the side. This seem a little obvious though. What do you think?

I like yours as well as General Grant, Victor Cephas of tossing with one hand. Hope to see your full end some day..cheers :)

Warmest regards
doveboy
Well my tail vanish looks like its going straight on towards the audience, but I like actually dump the dove as I turn and like "power walk" towards the audience and throw the silk at them. But it happens so fast they think the dove is being thrown straight at them.

SperriS
The best tail ditches I've never seen were live. On camera they seem glaringly obvious. I once saw a magician do it super slow... body to the side, pitch to the front. I learned then that it wasn't the speed, but, the timing that mattered.
My Rocky the Raccoon seems to be doing very well with his dove act and his card manipulation.
Perhaps he'll be on the list soon.
Matt
James Dimmare has the best bird act. Definitely.
Ben
I got to see the IBM win by Burton in New Orleans.
I can't believe that Joseph Gabriel's Dove Act hasn't even been mentioned in this topic.

His act is amazing with all the Doves, Parakeets, Cockatoo, and Macaws!

It's great from start to finish. With a lot of different ideas and approachs to his act. Some things that come to mind are the Silk in Balloon to Cockatoo, Dove levitation, multiplte parakeet productions, and Macaw Production.

It is one of my favorites because it has a lot of variety to it, changing pace and moods throughout the act. Joseph is also very intense to watch which makes it very exciting.

On top of this I finally got to see his act live this past year and spend quite a bit of time with Joseph. He was a great guy and can't wait to meet up with him again.

So that's my addition to the list,

Michael Berends
It is hard for me to say which is the best Dove worker of all time, as each one that has been mentioned are great in their own rights. I had the pleasure of meeting and having Channing Pollack give me advice since he just lived about 15 miles from me before he moved to Vegas and he is a great teacher. Channing told me how he sold his act to a taxi driver in London and when I had the opportunity to visit the Magic Circle, I menitoned the story and was introduced to the taxi driver. I have to say that I agree with those who put Johnny Thompson because he also got Channing to let him do his Dove act. The Great Thompsoni added a few things to make it his. I could go on and on, but will stick to what I had said about all of the ones mentioned.
All the people evocated are very good doves performers for me.

My 2 favourites are:
- Lance Burton
- Shimada
[b] Update [/b]

[quote]
On 2004-01-27 22:18, Bob Sanders wrote:
Shimada gets first place with me and has for twenty years among the better known doves acts. But the most impressed I have ever been with a dove act was one that booked through a booking agency I owned in the early 1960s. His name was Mercer Helms and he was among the very first magicians ever featured on HBO. The man was a natural stage act. Not only did he do flawless magic, but he also had looks, could move like a dancer, and charm an audience from "Hello". He married into a well known television family and apparently quit performing. I doubt that he ever belonged to a magic club, wrote a book, took part in a magic competition, or lectured at a magic convention. None of those sound like the man I knew. But his dove work was definitely magic!

Bob
[/quote]

The great news is that I have talked to Mercer Helms since I wrote this. Mercer lives in Texas, still is doing magic, and sounds like the same great guy I knew in the 60s. He caught me up on his history. For years he was the road manager and opening act for Phyllis Diller. When she retired, he did too. He certainly never left magic. He even attended college at Auburn University in my home state of Alabama and as a young journalist worked at a newspaper, now local to me. I had never known that before.

He is even a new member of The Magic Café.

Thank you Bill Palmer for putting us in touch!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Hi every body !

My two favorites are Marko KARVO and Alpha (I also like James DIMARRE)
Who never had the oportunity to see, here is the act of Channing Pollock in the movie "European Nights"

http://www.contato.inf.br/channing_pollock.WMV
http://www.contato.inf.br/channing_pollock.WMV

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

BUMMER!
(Although I do have the video.)
Hi All

Time for one of the few English dove workers to chip in.

I feel the same as many of you.....

Pollack, Burton, and Dimmare all amazing (and if we are talking about Technical dove workers then they score the highest)

However surely it was Frewin's fresh look and style that sparked off so many of the modern favorites.
Suddenly this guy arrived with a whole new Dynamic and style in some ways aggresive yet likeable that guy produced doves like none of us had seen before. WOW What a guy!!!!!

I have to agree with Dan Sperry That Rick Thomas has one of the most comanding, stage presences during his Dove act.I have seen Ricks act live and idn't notice the tail ditch at all I think that on his video the camera changes to a bad angle at the worst time possible.

Dan, I've never seen you live but your clips on your website are to die for, it's so important that Dove magic continues to be taken to new places and your doing it amazingly.

Anyway enough from me

Thanks

Paul

OOOoo I forgot to mention Jon David Bass is another fav of mine.
James Dimmare
Joseph Gabriel
Tony Clark
Lance Burton

Just my 2 cents

Take care,
Bryan
I have the good fortune and pleasure of producing most of these performers on the World Festival of Magic.

Tony Clark with his great Opera opening. Throwing the mask out toward the audience and it changes to a dove.

Victor and Diamond; loved their style, the production of Diamond and the split rabbits.

Dan Birch, dramatic.

Jason Bryne; would work with him any day. Ladies were at the stage door following every performance.

But this year I have Dimmare on the show. I just returned from Wellington, New Zealand where I watched him yet two more performances. I have done doves and I have never seen a steal of his.

From any row in the theatre and backstage.

And he naturally has an overabundance of style and grace.

But look at his act.
The construction of it.
A beginning. Middle. And End.

Marvyn Roy, who I have had, is a strong proponent of this structure.

James Dimmare opens with glove to dove and ends, before the bird cage finale, with dove to gloves. Cape Blendo. And is ready to exit as he first appeared.

Honestly leaves me in awe at the beauty of it all.
1000% my vote as well goes to Dimmare. Love him or hate him you have to give it up for the act. He has taken Channing, Shimada, and Silvano's material and done it better than they ever could have. Don't get me wrong there is also a lot of original magic in the act as well. His on stage class and ability to ride the line of cockiness, and confidence is perfect. You would think by watching him that he was a trained dancer like his idol Astaire. It was put best in his intro on a WGM special that "although the act lasts only minutes it has taken his whole life to perfect" and perfection it is.

Puck
In my humble opinion, nobody can touch Channing Pollock! Remember, he was doing his act beginning in the late 1940's. His steals were impeccable and his showmanship, elegance and good looks puts him head and shoulders above the rest of the pack. All this without any fast or suspicious movements.

Please don't misunderstand, there are many fine Dove Acts out there today but, Channing was one of a kind.
When this magician appeared on late night with Johnny Carson, and I saw his act, my jaw dropped.

This Magician is Joseph Gabriel. When Joseph had his show on Broadway I was teaching a group of young kids magic. I had sent a letter to Joseph about my magic group and he replied with an invitation for my magic group to come see his show on Broadway. I took the magic group and seen his show three more times with friends and family.

I know many great magicians that are located on my web site, They are great with magic and their personalities are fantastic, That’s why I have a link for them on my site:

I am currently working on an unofficial page for Joseph Gabriel
To be part of my Links page.

Maro
My vote goes to Channing Pollock. He has the best stage presence of any performer and is still the yardstick by which all other doveworkers are judged.
http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=ITDcQF2n3TI
Thank you, Touchstone, I'm very grateful for that link. Lance Burton, is, and always will be, incredible.
I saw Shimada perform at the Magic Castle. His dove act was flawless. I have Channing Pollock's dove act on video called European Nights. Groundbreaking.
Shimada said that he got his inspiration from this video when he saw it in a theater when he was a teenager.
These two are my picks as the greatest dove workers.
Well, I haven't really seen that many dove workers 'do their stuff', but I ahve managed to catch a few...

I have seen:
James Dimmare
Lance Burton
Rick Thomas

I personally think that James Dimmare is the best dove worker... (or that [i]I[/i] have seen)... I saw him on The Worlds Greatest Magic, and he blew me away! With all of the different vanishing and appearing canes, dove appearences and vanishes, and everything that he has worked between all the cracks, my vote would definetly go to him!!!

Two thumbs up to him!
-Vinnie
Although not really remembered for it, Tom Palmer had a fantastic bird act!
Growing up, Shimada was my favorite, but now that I am older and have 3 good friends that perform dove acts, my favorite performer is Gereral Grant/George Saterial/David Oliver.

Tony
Harry Vendryes was the greatest dove worker of all time.
He played the best places around England and all of Europe during the late 1950s and 60s.
Recently, there was a discussion on the genii site about Harry and Channing the two best at that time.
Half of the posters thought Harry was better than Channing.
Two of Harry's steals were flawless, that even magicians who watched him over and over couldn't detect the steals.
Harry retired some years ago, and now lives in Kingston Jamaica.
I correspond with him almost every month---I will be going home to Jamaica in a few months to see Harry and other magic friends.
Richard Lyn.
Greg Frewin is my favourite because of all the creativity in his act. Jason Byrne kicks butt too. I also love Joseph Gabriel's act because of the variety of birds. Dan Sperry has a killer dove act as well as Jonathan David Bass.

P.S but if it wasn't for Lance Burton I wouldn't of started dove magic.

Neil Croswell
I worked with Mercer in the early 90's. It was at Magic Island in Houston, and the director of the stage shows asked me to not do my dove act, which is a huge part of my show. I was following Mercer, and I was only allowed to do magic. Okay, now they tell me that there were no English speaking audience members.

What a mess! Ultimately, Mercer gave me a nice book that he wrote about how to get your birds onto cruise lines and other travel issues. A really nice gesture by a very nice man.

Another friend of mine is considered to be one of the best caricature artists anywhere (by his peers). He used to dabble in magic back in the early 70's, and he mentions Baltazar Fuentes as being one of the best ever. And he's a true afficionado of the better dove acts.

I am enjoying doves more in a motivated act than numbers or difficulty of production. I prefer to see a few doves produced and vanished in a manner that makes sense to the performer's character than just an exhibition of skill and grace.

I am all for not having to vanish all of the doves at the end of the act. It always seems to be a contrived box that is the opposite of the skill that it takes to produce them. I would like to see some acts keep the doves at the end of the show, as a sort of Miser's dream ending.
I looked back through, and did not even see Dick Sheehey (or Shehee, or whatever) listed anywhere. I think he was from Chicago, and when I saw him, it was thirty years ago. He was smooth, very colorful, very flashy, and very energetic. He really stood out in the era of Pollock clones. He deserves some mention, but not as the greatest.

At the end of the day, you have to follow the Pollock / Shimada / Burton lineage, although time will tell which young one will really take it a quantum leap beyond Burton.

My recollections (from seeing all of these live) were that Pollock made it look the most like raw, powerful magic.....regardless of the fact that lots of cat--- was showing. He was so dramatic, and had amazing presence.

Shimada dared to NOT copy Pollock's Western mannerisms. This will be treated as heresy, I am sure, but he was a little bit jerky (compared to Channing only - velvety smooth compared to the rest of the world) in his moves in his earlier years.

Burton has it all.
It is interesting that Pollock is credited with dove magic as an original. I know of nothing in his history that indicates that he was anything but the actor featuring dove magic in a movie part. Dove magic predates the movies and the discovery of the Western World!

This is not meant to hurt Pollock's image as an actor. He was fabulous. Many great magicians claim that they are actors playing the part of a magician. But this claim for the movie part is like saying that before MTV there was no music! Some of us were there.

Can you name any of the five magicians who taught Pollock that act?

Bob
Well, Jack Kodell was the first magician to have a complete bird act, and the first magician to headline in Las Vegas. He certainly deserves credit for creating the trend.

Channing Pollack
Shimada
Gen Grant
Johnny Thompson (who helped Lance with his act)
Lance Burton
James Dimarre/Tony Clark
Dan Sperry/George Saterial/Rick Thomas
Dan Birch

in that order (IMHO)

Scott
Hey Scott,
Pardon me if I'm wrong but, wasn't Cantu before Kodell in performing a COMPLETE Bird Act. Not the first, however. The answer to that is unkown, as Bob Sanders points out earlier. I'm afraid Bird Acts have been around much longer than anyone can remember!

BTW, Jack Kodell mentioned in his talk at the Miami convention earlier this summer that he was 15 yrs old when offered to play Vegas in the 1940's. He did not even know where Vegas was until he and his father looked it up on a map.
[quote]
On 2006-08-28 13:47, magic mike wrote:
Hey Scott,
Pardon me if I'm wrong but, wasn't Cantu before Kodell in performing a COMPLETE Bird Act. Not the first, however. The answer to that is unkown, as Bob Sanders points out earlier. I'm afraid Bird Acts have been around much longer than anyone can remember!

[/quote]

Hey Mike,

I may be wrong myself, but Cantu was discussed in Miami by Jack & John Ekin, however, I believe that Jack was the first to have a total bird act. Before that, there were birds produced, vanished, etc., but never a bird ACT. According to Jack & John, he was the first with an entire act based on birds.

On a side note, I assume that you saw the footage of his act that they showed at the talk in Miami...was that not incredible? It was truly a magical session to hear all of the tales of this great man and to see him in action.

Scott
Hey there guys, My vote is for Rick Thomas as well. He just is so smooth and fun to watch. I am not taking anything away from the list that has already been mentioned. I have to also mention Dave Womach as well as Dan Sperry who have both put their own orginal spin on dove magic. Brian
Hi again Scott,

Thanks for the info. Actually, I was not at the IBM CONV. in Miami this past June but, a few friends were and they relayed what they remembered.

I hate to admit I'm that old but, I saw Jack Kodell do his Parkeet Act on The Ed Sullivan Show when I was a kid. It was truly a wonderful act.

BTW,if you a interested in the history of Dove Magic, I started a topic here in "POLLY WANTS A CRACKER" while in Europe this past summer. That is why I was not able to be at the convention in Miami. Also, I am trying to start a discussion going on various types of historical facts concerning not only Dove Magic but other types of bird magic. I am planning on posting something there today.

Would you mind relaying what Jack & John Ekin discussed at the IBM Conv. in Miami 2006 concerning Cantu under my topic heading here at the Magic Café: The History of Dove Magic ala Channing Pollock, Cantu, etc. Your posting of any other info. concerning the History of Bird Magic would also be greatly appreciated.

Bob Sanders,

Are you going to give us the answer you your query??? (Or, are you just going to let us suffer.)

i.e. WHO ARE THE FIVE MAGICIANS WHO TAUGHT POLLOCK THE ACT?

Thank you,
[quote]
On 2006-08-28 15:27, magic mike wrote:
Scott,

Would you mind relaying what Jack & John Ekin discussed at the IBM Conv. in Miami 2006 concerning Cantu under my topic heading here at the Magic Café: The History of Dove Magic ala Channing Pollock, Cantu, etc. Your posting of any other info. concerning the History of Bird Magic would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
[/quote]

I posted Mike.

Scott
If I.m not mistaking Cantu Was the first to do a bird act. At the time of Channing Pollock there was another dove worker by the name of Jimmy Raye (James De Saulte )who was concidered to be on the same level as Pollock. He was extremely well known on tha East coast, and no one did bare handed dove productions as well as he did. His multipling candle to dove and his ballon to dove were concidered the best.
My favorite is Lance Burton's routine.
My favourite bird act I have ever seen and still love to enjoy today was Lance Burton On Jonny Carson. Lance was Young, very passionate about what he was doing, and I swear to you, every single movement was completly impeccable. I can not believe my eyes when I watch a 22 your old man with an act that perfect. He must have had little free time in his childhood.

DJ
I just visited with Celeste Evans who did a bird act ALL OVER THE WORLD. She STILL can do all her moves and she showed me a clip from an early Barbara Waters show in which she did a couple of silk tricks and then went about to produce doves and doves and doves and doves and doves. She wore a low cut dress AND DRESSED AS SHE WAS THERE WAS NO PLACE TO HIDE THE BIRDS!!!
2 thumbs for the one and only Gen Grant.
I saw Bob Downey mentioned way up by the top of the thread, then no more. I saw him in the early 70s. He was really about as smooth as Pollock, but didn't have the handsome index Pollock had. Also, he was somehow off-putting, and not easy to like, even in his stage persona. Dour might be the word. But great....really great. He did these slow invisible steals using what looked like no more than an 18 inch silk.
Malada,

You are talking about Jimmy RAY also known as Jimmy Dousant. Jimmy is retired now due to illness. He still does close up magic you would not believe. He is a very close friend of mine. He was one of the best dove workers in the world in his prime. I was very lucky to get the benefit of his friendship and get his help with my own act. He really is a ray of magic. The best all around magician I ever met. All this guy thinks about is magic, to this day.

I do that multiplying candle to dove and balloon to dove you mentioned, I still do it exactly as he taught it to me. Occasionally at a show, some older magic fan or magician will ask me if I learned that from Jimmy Ray, and I'm pleased to say I did. Thanks for remembering and mentioning a real master of Dove magic... Jimmy Ray.
You guys must see Dan Sperry's bird act! Very original.(copycats beware)
Re the controversy about whether Cantu or Jack Kodell came first. In 1960 Francis Ireland Marshall wrote a book about dove magic called "Come Out Flying." It featured short bios of lots of dove workers. On page 33 she say: "The photograph on the opposite page is of the great Cantu who began all the excitement about doves many years ago."
She describes Kodell as being "...in the Cantu Tradition." However technically Jack Kodell does not even belong in this thread which is about the greatest dove work of all time. As some of you know, and some don't Kodell worked with parakeets, not doves.

I'm glad that Hayre mentioned Bob Downey again. Sure he was not as good looking as Channing Pollock... but how many are? Pollock was more elegant, dressed better, and was more sophisticated. But the topic was about "...dove work..." And Downey was as smooth as Pollock. I suspect that Downey is not remembered because there doesn't seem to be a bit of footage around today of his dove work. (I have some footage of him doing close up.) I hope that someday some footage of Downey doing his dove act. Downey also invented magic and some of the magic in his dove act was created by him. A great many dove workers end with the Vanishing Dove Cage. Channing probably started that. But Downey had a different finish... and a very cute introduction to it. I'll describe them for you guys since I doubt if more then three or four of us ever saw him work. Just before his close he stepped to the Microphone and said: "A few weeks ago the four greatest magicians in the world were having dinner together in Las Vegas.... We.... (a very long pause here and a big laugh.) were discussing our favorite tricks. The following is definitely mine." Then he would vanish all of his doves in a small size version of the trick we know as "Where do the Ducks go?" However, as he took the box apart he actually showed both sides of every piece!!!

From reading through the thread I guess that Channing Pollock got the most votes for greatest. I can go along with that. But very closely on his heels, of the ones I've seen, are Downey, Dimmerre, Burton, Sylvan, Chen Kai, and the young Siegfried.

Did you guys know that Cardini worked on an act with parakeets. Two more very fine dove workers that have not been mentioned: Celeste Evans, Rene Septembre.

Dennis Loomis
Yes, Bob Downey was very good. I did see him work several times. I think I even have some still photos of him working.

I remember seeing Greg Frewin and Jason Byrne when they did Double Vision act. Some really innovative dove magic.

There are a lot of great dove workers. Unfortunately, with health regualtions and animal rights nuts, this type of magic is falling by the wayside.

Richard
Here's a clip of Channing Pollack's act which works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HPahq1c2yc

The steal at 1:02 is my all time favorite. I won't tell you the secret, but I will tell you that it's not a body steal.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Apr 21, 2013 07:42PM)
Bob Downy... I remember him well. He was well received in Michigan. A good friend of mine has Bob's props, and some great footage. I loved to watch the footage. The way he pulled a scarf thru a finger ring then produced a dove from it was very sharp looking. He had some smooth moves. God bless Bob Downey.
5. Joseph Gabriel

4. Greg Frewin

3. Channing Pollack

2. James Dimarre (I love the theme and the finale is such a great idea!)

The only dove act to almost completely propel a performer to a 100 million dollar contract is:

1. Lance Burton

I know money is not everything but it is a good measuring stick. Lance not only gained the respect of magicians his act is very popular with the lay audience as well.

DJ Trix put it very well:
[quote]On 2006-08-30 22:32, DJ Trix wrote:
My favourite bird act I have ever seen and still love to enjoy today was Lance Burton On Jonny Carson. Lance was Young, very passionate about what he was doing, and I swear to you, every single movement was completly impeccable. I can not believe my eyes when I watch a 22 your old man with an act that perfect. He must have had little free time in his childhood. [/quote]

I would only add to that it was rare for Johnny Carson to give and act over 20 minutes of uninterrupted time on his show. Johnny knew a good act when he saw it!

[quote]On 2012-09-23 21:16, hugmagic wrote:
I remember seeing Greg Frewin and Jason Byrne when they did Double Vision act. Some really innovative dove magic.[/quote]
I have seen Double Vision also and have been searching for a video of the act for years. It would be a a shame if this act was not caught on tape.
Either Greg Frewin or Jason Bryne should have a video of that act. It was not performed that many times. I saw it at Abbott's. Both guys kept parts of their joint act in their individual acts.

Richard
I've been looking for a clip of Double Vision for a long time. As far as I know, there is definitely a clip of them performing at Hank Lee's Conclave and Tannen's Magic Jubilee or Camp. I also have heard the possibility of a Japanese clip and a couple of others after Jason left and it was Greg Frewin and Brian Michaels. If anyone finds one I'd love to see it. I'd also love to see a video of Brett Daniels dove act. I've heard some cool effects in it (like the dove of the ground from his shoe) and I've only heard of a couple videos of that in existence.
Alex
[quote]On Sep 23, 2012, Dennis Loomis wrote:
Downey was as smooth as Pollock. I suspect that Downey is not remembered because there doesn't seem to be a bit of footage around today of his dove work. I hope that someday some footage of Downey doing his dove act.[/quote]
[url=https://www.magicana.com/video/bob-downey-dove-magic]Bob Downey's dove act[/url]