(Close Window)
Topic: Help!
Message: Posted by: zaubern (May 4, 2005 02:36AM)
Hey, I was hoping someone could help me. I am working in a play that wants to use a flash pot and the fire marshall wants to make sure I have some certification to work with the materials. My question is, is there paperwork for this and if so how do I go about getting it? Thanks!
Message: Posted by: Glenn Alloway (May 5, 2005 01:22PM)
I'm not sure exactly what the rules are in the States.

But in Canada, you would require a "close proximity pyro license." There are courses are offered about once a year. Upon completing the course, you are required to apprentice with a qualified license holder until you have set up a certain number of shows worth a minimum dollar value. (I don't remember what these are). Once you have completed this, the Canadian governement will mail you a license.

I'm not sure if it is the same in the US or not, but I would guess it to be even more strict. Most likely, you are not qualified to operate the device for a school. Close proximity pyrotechniques have very strict laws, but it is becasue they are very dangerous. I would reccomend reworking the scene and using a safer effect.
Message: Posted by: EddyRay (May 5, 2005 01:26PM)
Usually the local firemarshall will provide you with documents to fill out, on what you are using, how you are going to use it etc. Make sure you show him that you have plenty of experience.

Then they will show up at the venue and you will explain and demo what you are going to do, finally they will be there at the performance.

They will issue or grant you temporary permittance for the show.
Message: Posted by: zaubern (May 5, 2005 03:41PM)
Yeah I spoke with the Fire Marshal and he basically had me show him what I was doing, write up a proposal and make sure the school was comfortable with me doing this. I am sure if it was a more dangerous effect in a different venue I would have to go through more but this is pretty small stuff. But they are able to have this in the show so it worked out...
Message: Posted by: Drs_Res (May 25, 2005 04:20AM)
Wow, I'm kind of surprised they let you do that without a pyrotechnics license.
Message: Posted by: RealDeal JU (May 25, 2005 10:27AM)
Seeing as it is not really pyrotechnics, I don't think you would need a liscense for it. Maybe I'm wrong though and anything that produces fire is considered pyrotechnics. But does that mean now, that everyone with a fire wallet, inviso torch, fire palms, etc. needs a liscense to perform the effects? I think not.

Message: Posted by: 19thIndiana (May 27, 2005 12:59AM)
If you want to see the national standard, look at NFPA 1126, Standard for the Use of Pyrotechnics before a Proximate Audience, 2001 Edition, published by the National Fire Protection Association, 1 Batterymarch Park, Quincy, Massachusetts 12269. It has been adopted as the legal standard in some states and gives a lot of good practical advice on pyro safety.
I also recommend the American Pyrotechnics Association Proximate Pyrotechnics Checklist: http://www.americanpyro.com/pdf/Checklist-final.pdf
A smart magician, just like any other smart business person, gets expert help when he is outside his area of expertise. Your pyrotechnic supply house can help you find your answers. It's their business. (If you are using your homemade stuff near audiences, you are beyond hope.) Ask your fire marshall who, in your area, has a license. It's a public record.