(Close Window)
Topic: Redneck Magic
Based on much of the work I've done on making illusions and stage magic from PVC pipe and Dollar store materials, and from watching too much Redneck humor on Comedy Central, I've worked out some routines for a Redneck Magician that can be used to entertain around the trailer park or wherever redneck humor is appreciated. Does anybody use this kind of material?
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (May 12, 2005 05:04PM)
You got me scared guy. Have you performed this stuff? Has it gone over well?
[quote]
On 2005-05-12 18:04, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
You got me scared guy. Have you performed this stuff? Has it gone over well?
[/quote]

That's what I'm trying to find out, if anyone has tried incorporating Redneck jokes and humor into a magic performance. No, I haven't tried it myself, but I see the possibilities of popping a PVC Illusion together from spare PVC plumbing pipes scattered on the stage and making six packs of beer or some live chickens or something Redneck appropriate appear. How about an outhouse Illusion? Or drag the cinderblocks out from underneath the beat-up old truck and make it float. Somebody somewhere must have tried some of these ideas before!

Maybe Jeff Foxworthy needs some variety acts in his Blue Collar Tour. ( http://www.jefffoxworthy.com/ )
I understand that the final closing words of the redneck magician is "Hey Y'all, watch this!"
I can see flowers or herb(s) sprouting from the front yard bathtub planter.
An instant beer can castle.
Trapped furs hanging on the outhouse wall was beginning to wag their tails.
Snap your fingers and the porch lantern lights.

This could also be a silent act like Tina Lennert's "Cleaning Woman" but with totally different ideas.
Being from the south myself, this sounds pretty interesting. I'd like to see where you go with it.
Being a Redneck, I'd also like to see where this is going. I'd like to see what I could use on my redneck buddies.

Sammy the Kid
Hey! A Redneck meeting! Take yer shoes off fellers and wiggle yer toes. I always suspected Gerrish was a Redneck and I'm feeling a little sun-burnt myself.

I like the idea of an outhouse Illusion. I can see the scene now... someone walks up to this skinny little outhouse and knocks on the door. It opens up and out comes a whole bunch of people with toilet paper sticking to their shoes, carrying catalogs, etc. It turns the Modern Cabinet into a whole new Illusion.
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (May 15, 2005 10:43PM)
Rabbit pops out of a spud gun
Duct tape escapology (then again you can't knock duct tape, it held my tire full of air driving 80 miles home after a Misfits show)
An outhouse that would turn into either a sawing in half, or a blade box.
Levitation of said outhouse
Lots of effects would have to be varied slightly to establish credibility.
Examples:
Coin in Longneck Bottle
Rocky Possum
Not-so-ambitious Card
Pencil Through Pink Slip
Card In Wallet-with-a-chain
Whiskey (a 1 coin scotch and soda routine)
Card Through Window-in-the-back-of-a-pickup-truck, and of course
Vanishing Finger Up Nose.
How about doing a bullet catch with a 12 gauge shotgun?
I like that 12 gauge shotgun idea.
You drink a lot of whiskey from a jug to get up the nerve to do the trick...

After the gun is fired, you spit out a whole bunch of shot, followed by several teeth.

Then you take a final swig of whiskey and streams of whisky fountain out from a variety of holes in your body.
WOW! I like the card in a wallet-with-chain (mostly 'cause I have one being a biker and all) and the 12 gauge bullet catch. I can't help but think maybe a square circle decorated with chrome naked ladies like on the mudflaps. Maybe more ideas could be inspired from Redneck World Magazine. Its an actual magazine but the only place I can find it is in the local college town Krogers.

Sammy the Kid
There are a few redneck sites on the net. Good for ideas.

Do redneck magicians produce rabbits or armadillos?
Maybe jackalopes?
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (May 17, 2005 10:20AM)
Is this gonna turn into a hee-haw episode?
Someone walks into the outhouse and disappears.. out fit changes in to redneck ones... floating shovel appearing shovel etc...disappearing apples in basket I could go on forever I live on a farm:D
You know you're a redneck magician if your dove act is also your lunch.
[quote] You know you're a redneck magician if your dove act is also your lunch. [/quote]

Only if you ran over it in your pickup truck.

Now let's get some more magic ideas in here. Has anyone seen Whacky Wolf's outhouse? It's hilarious. http://www.wolfsmagic.com/
Hit the old search function this has been discussed before here on the Café'.

I work bars, some rather rough and tumble bars at that. I do an adult act for adults. I play a naive NASCAR loving, RAVENS rooting, cigar smoking, and booze drinking, hard working, union dues paying, but laid off, redneck kind of character. There is not one swear word or sexual innuendo in the entire act. Yet the audience laughs long and loud.

I try to speak to the life experience my audience lives (or at least is familiar with if they are from this area), with gentle good humor and without any crudity. Again, I perform an adult show for adults. While I believe that the entire family could enjoy it, as a parent I would think twice before I let my kids watch a funny act that modeled smoking and drinking behavior, even if it was a 'clean' act.

The magic is part of the ongoing story line (is the story line) and is sort of a boozy hallucination (sorry Cardini for lifting your swell idea! I just cannot be a gentleman!)

I don’t smoke, yet do a smoking pipe routine (the old clay pipes done with corncob’s) and I do Fox’s multiplying cigar routine.
I don’t drink yet I produce a couple of full shot glasses (tea looks like Jack D.) and a bottle of Jack Daniels (tea again) in my opener, and I do a hip-pocket Lotta “water from Ireland!” as a running gag through the act. My finish is the production of a full case of Budweiser cans! (Gwynn’s appearing fishbowl modernized for a bar environment. OH so easy!) I do a 20th Century bandana (homemade as usual) with a woman from the audience. I suspect that most people expect the "bra" trick, but only a clean bandana appears. The laughter is more a relief for the audience that a bra did not appear. (A bottle of beer is produced from the gathered bandannas and presented to the lady assistant for helping).

The act is fun and well received. It is an adult act! It is a Redneck act and it deals with adult themes.

To build this type of character, one that can be identified and identified with, you don’t need to overdo it. A simple t-shirt or sweatshirt with a sports team, NASCAR, or Union logo, a ball cap (a must!) with a NASCAR drivers name and number (My hat is a Dale Earnhardt, number # 3) with piece of black ribbon sewn over it – a moment of reverence to the great Dale is always part of my show). I will take it off and put it on a homemade pedestal table to stage right.
The table is made of a pool stick cut down. Screwed to a base and with a small round top. I put my hip flask Lotta on it with a shot glass and Hat.

Hey, put a black or navy blazer over this and you are a redneck getting ready for your best friends wedding.

My prop box is an Igloo brand ice chest (lunch box size) with Football team bumper stickers on it. Different team on each side,
those teams that are important to the area I tend to work (Cowboys, Redskins, Ravens, Steelers). I can do a “ by the sound of the applause, who is the best team” bit. It sits on a stool.

My character is not played with broad burlesque humor but with a more gentle and respectful, “let’s poke fun at ourselves” type of humor that Foxworthy is well know for. Everyone can identify with this character, yet he offends no one.

Like any good character, it takes study, building, and experimenting. I have often wondered how many years it took Richard Pitchford (Cardini) to build his character or Johnny Thompson (The Great Thomsoni) his?

Me? After over 10 years of working on this guy, he's still not done.
I’m Buffbillybobburt, but just call me Buff! (Which is my name by the way!)
I have a buddy who does the Out house thing where he Shows it empty then a red light shines on it he opens the door to fins an alien. They chase each other till he, my buddy, hides in the out house and the alien opens it only to find it empty. My buddy then runs up from the auidence an lock the door, The outhouse shakes and stops as the red light shines on it again. He unlocks it and it is empty. Also catch Fireflies(D-lites), Have a tophat with a john deer patch on it from which, I forget who wrote it, you produce a JAckalope, Shoot the deck with a Shotgun. Or every card in the box. Instead of only the selected card having a hole open up the box and pull out their card then dump the box upside down and have confety fall out.
Froggy
(Or for the redneck subject)

Froglegs
Posted: May 20, 2005 5:58pm
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thought of another. Have a oppossom placed in a pot(Dove Pan) and produce a cooked one, Cut and restored chicken, Do an effect where you show 7 buetiful models and 1 of a 1 toothed, pictailed girl, olderlady with a cig. in her mouth. Have someone hold onto an envelope with a prediction of the final chosen card and your dream girl in it. Use Magicians force and have the 1 toothed, pictailed girl, olderlady with a cig. in her mouth the only card left. It Matches your dream girl! Book test with an old sears catlog(Which you get out of the out house saying "The stuff you wipe with" or Something) Card to CHew can. Or change the dreamgirl one to a pic. of a pig in a dress and wig.
Froggylegs
I find this funny that this has come up. I also have a redneck character that I dreamed up and will be doing in the close-up competion at the FL State convention next weekend. I wear a Dale Earhardt T-shirt, a pair of shorts, hiking boots, BillyBob teeth, blonde wig, blonde moustache/sideburns, sun glasses and a black skull cap. I look a lot like HUlk Hogan until the glasses come off and I smile.
Who knows how this will go over but I'm willing to find out. Oh, my name is Billy Ray SugarPea the Trailor Trash Magician.

Millard Brooks
Naples, FL
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (May 23, 2005 12:16PM)
The image of a "high class" red neck act illusion act where port-o-sans are used like cabinets, both amuses and horrifies me.

From the spirit cabinet to the substitution trunk done with things you find in a home depot. Wonderful. Cut and restored duct tape? Refrigerator or Washing machine escapes?
The main caveat I would have for an act like this is to make sure that you aren't from up North or back East when you do the act. If they think you are laughing at them, they will demonstrate their own versions of the bullet catch. The reason Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy can do the things they do is that they are of redneck extraction.

The second caveat I would have would be "don't use the word 'caveat' during the show." Unless it is in a sentence like "Hey, Fred! Where's Mammoth Caveat?"
Git R Dun
Here's my report from the FL State Convention.
My "Billy Ray - The Trailor Trash Magician" was a hit. I had the highest scores in the close-up contest but, unfortunately, I went over time limit and was disqualified. The closest competitor was 5 points below my scores. The audience loved the humor and the magic wasn't bad either.

Millard Brooks
Naples, FL
Oh yeah...Billy Ray will be making a come-back at "Magic on the Beach - 2005" and at the "2006 IBM Convention" in Miami. And he will make the time limit next time.

MB
Yuh need one of them there timers. Yuh kin make one from a candle and an old size 12 boot. When the candle burns down it burns through a flash string holding a weight, the weight slams down on a plank which sends the boot right towards yer keister (I'm cleaning this up fer the censors!). On the bottom of the boot is the chosen card from an earlier trick that gave you a hard time. You end with that and say good-night.

Oh, yeah, and congratulations!
Twentieth Century Underbritches. preferably with a few holes in 'em and maybe a skidmark. And with some of them Lynerd Skynerd bandanas from the county fair.

Sammy the Kid
I came across this today while "surfing." It's got a definite place as a prize for winning some kind of competition between "rednecks."

http://www.halloweenonly.com/website/store/product_detail.asp?UID=2005060914120874&item_no=25232&trackit=Y&ltype=pr
My main character is Bubba... and at least here in the south it goes over fantastic. Plenty of redneck jokes and I wear overalls and a camoflage hat... I even pull a rubber chicken out of my hat!!! And why yes... I is of that persuazun... :)
I formed a routine and drew the plans for a prop of my own for the future when I plan to open a comedy stage show somewhere.

Since I am from Georgia, I have somewhay of an accent. So I knew crowds up north and west (vegas) would find it humorous. So I desinged a zig zag illusion that looks like an outhouse, along with an indestructable woman that looks like an outhouse and toilet plungers are shoved through the holes. The routine would be done to duelin' banjos and the costumes would be overalls, t-shirts, etc.

I thought it would be something humorous to throw into a show. The rest of the show would not involve the country hick and redneck stuff. The rest would be straight up comedy magic.

Chance wolf had a product out called the outhouse that does a card trick. You might be interested in using that to your benefit.
So, do we have any Redneck Magicians working the crowds of the Redneck Games in East Dublin, Georgia? If not, you missed a great opportunity! If so, please let us know all about it! Post pictures if you remembered to get one of those little box cameras at the 7-11 out on the highway.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050702/ap_on_fe_st/redneck_games
How about a tear/restore newpaper, but the restore newspaper has duct taped lines over it. Does a company make roadkill stuff animals for the little ones.
Hey, fizzmaster would go well with budweiser.

I can see a NASCAR connection. Maybe wear an unlabeled jacket, pull up a cover, then the jackets got the NASCAR type labeling all over.

And have you thought of throwing cards to knock over a pyramid of cans? yeehaw
You would have to make sure that you used your sister in every routine that needed an assistant.
[quote]
On 2005-07-21 16:51, ivfour wrote:
How about a tear/restore newpaper, but the restore newspaper has duct taped lines over it.
[/quote]

It's been done. Mot a bad idea, though.

Sit down and listen to a bunch of Jeff Foxworthy stuff. Then list all of the really good redneck things you can think of.
[quote]
On 2005-05-31 00:45, Sammy the Kid wrote:
Twentieth Century Underbritches. preferably with a few holes in 'em and maybe a skidmark. And with some of them Lynerd Skynerd bandanas from the county fair.

Sammy the Kid
[/quote]

Holes -- good. Skidmarks -- bad. Tire tracks -- funny.
Tire tracks. I agree.
You could bring a redneck show to Canada. Duct tape is huge. It would probably go over well. I find the outhouse illusion ideas very interesting.
Tha Calgary Stampede would be an excellent place to do this.
Yes, indeed.
I would pay good money to see a redneck magic show if they take small change . I think most people have a bit of redneck in them. Your discussion has made me think about doing a Mafia magic act since that's my persuasion.
Just got invited to do a "country and western" auction in Everett, Wa for a gymnastics school. Since it won't be a gen-yew-ine western group, I don't have to do the NASCAR bits, but I would like to get into the country motif for at least a few of the effects.

Shouldn't be too hard to think of ways of adding the country edge to my act: bandanas for the blindfold routine. "Rat Pack" would fit. Fizz master with budweiser cans... floating kazoo (for cigarette) a la Sammy the Kid...

any other ideas welcome.
Wow- this really makes the gears turn in my head...

My dad is the epitome of a true redneck..He's always quoting Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy. A good example- my dad has never shed a tear in front of me until Earnhardt died... I can think of a lot of effects just from what he talks about!

Anyway, I got to thinking about the "Redneck Show". I believe there is a high market for this kind of an act especially with the high rising success of the Blue Collar Comedy guys... I live in Northern California and there are so many hicks from the sticks...They would love this kind of show!

I was thinking...
Instead of working from a podium, why not construct a Weber BBQ to double as a table to do your magic off of (the under side "bowl" could easily be transformed with a couple shelves to store your props.

How about a rubber chicken- dove act... Could you imagine a "Where did the Chicken Go"?

A Dixie Flag Blendo
A National Inquirer book test
The Beer Pitcher (instead of a milk pitcher)
NASCAR flag production from a pony keg inside a crate rickity-looking (Square Circle)
Turning a taxodermy animal into a live animal...

Hmm...
I have to think about this more...
SteelLuvMagic
I like your barbecue table idea. Produce a dove from a bandana you've just blown your nose on. Then vanish the dove in a flurry of feathers (from a pillow- almost like you defeathered the dove in vanishing it). Go over to the barbecue and stick a fork into a newly appeared small rock cornish hen all barbecued nicely and ask someone if they like their doves with ketchup or hot sauce. It's got possibilities!
Bryan you should talk to Steve at the next meeting about"cousin Steve", I think you will be surprised.

When you gonna tell everyone about your big experience?

Ichazod
If you think a "prestidigitator" is one of those new-fangled instant slicers that cuts perfect french fried taters... you just might be a redneck!
I've done a few shows here that were of a hillbilly bent. My audiences here in Wisconsin really loved the show and the character. Being from West Virginia coal country originally, I'm able to pull this off with language and mannerisms, without going too far into stereotypes (somethimes they hit waaaaay too close to home). Bill was right that a Northerner could never pull it off with the dignity, humor and self deprication an act like this truly deserves. Being a superstitious lot, it works really well in conjunction with the bizarre/darker themes.
You might be a redneck is you have a complete set of cups and balls and they all say "cool whip" on the side of them

I think that would be a great idea to incoperate the redneck culture into magic
Cool Whip? Hell, no! They use McDonald's paper cups still with soda spots clinging to them. For the balls, roll 'em up from the toilet paper you find clinging to your shoe.
You can do Garrett Thomas' big coin little purse with hub caps, and dancing cane with a muffler
[quote]
On 2005-10-24 18:54, Joe Russell wrote:
You might be a redneck is you have a complete set of cups and balls and they all say "cool whip" on the side of them

I think that would be a great idea to incoperate the redneck culture into magic
[/quote]

Redneck culture is an oxymoron.
It sure is a culture, the same way Rap music and Rap culture has become a way of life for some people whether you like it or you don't, when ever a group of people live a certain way and openly admit up front what they are.......its a culture.
Polish Rockets make a great Redneck story.
Peace,
Parson (proud to be a redneck)
In PRISN( not to beconfused with Phil GoldSteins PRISM) M.T. Silvercup presents the Off Color Books of Mentalism. One of the Books is the Redneck Book of Mentalism. Excellent read. You can find it here:

http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?client=44680335&action=detail&item=007052