(Close Window)
Topic: Does the name Will Dexter ring a bell?
While wandering through my local out of print bookstore I noticed a book by a Will Dexter written about 1957. Now being I collect books, I thought I'd pick it up. But I was just wondering if anyone had heard of him and if I got a good deal at $10?

PS: I personally like the book. It seems to have a lot of "chemical" magic tricks.
Woo Hoo :dance: :yippee: :dance:
Don't know who Will Dexter is.... but if you like the book, you made a good deal. If it has anything in it that you can use, you made a great deal.

Dated 1957 it is also considered to be an antique.

Bengi :rolleyes:
I seem to recall that name from Corindas 13 steps to mentalism.

:devilish:
What was the Will Dexter book called?

I've got one by him published a long long time ago.
The name is "The Illustrated Book of Magic Tricks"
Will Dexter wrote a number of magic books many years ago. I have a few in my library. If you go to

http://www.bookfinder.com

you will find many of his books available.

101 Magic Secrets

Famous Magic Secrets

The Illustrated Book of Magic Tricks

The Riddle of Chung Ling Soo.

Secrets of the Conjurer's Craft

This is Magic

This is Magic: Secrets of the Conjurer's Craft

131 Magic Tricks For Amateurs

131 Magic Tricks for Amateurs, Hundreds of Magic Secrets & Routines

Everybody's Book of Magic

Everybody's Magic

Feature Magic for Mentalists.

THE ILLUSTRATED BOOK OF MAGIC.

The Riddle of Chung Ling Soo. Chinese Conjuror.

Sealed Vision
Just thought I'd drag this, kicking and screaming, to the top of the list again - just for information...

Will Dexter was a London magician, born 1906 - died 1985. According to T A Waters' Encylopedia of Magic and Magicians most of his books were targeted to a lay readership.

I quote:

"In his books Dexter was able to get across to the public the idea of magic as an art, disclosing a bare minimum of technical information to do so."

Sealed Vision is probably his best known work amongst magicians and is (I believe) still widely considered to be the foremost text on work with blindfolds, both genuine and faked.

Cheers,

Matthew Blackwell
Message: Posted by: MentalistCreationLab (Dec 30, 2007 09:11PM)
Will was a great writer. If you new to collecting this is a good author to start with. Sealed Vision is amazing and will surely become a classic of mentalism.
I've had that book forever. It's a keeper. I like it.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
As a kid I had a few of Will's books and they all ended up dog ears and tattered as I read them so much.

Wish I still had them, maybe I should get the folks to check their attic.
Thank you for the tip. Perfect timing, because I am working on a blindfolded routine.
Some people here need to learn their magic history -Will Dexter is a well-known past magical author & magician.
During the late 1960s in school, one of my friends had a Will Dexter book which I borrowed from him. I remember one of the tricks with cards used the code "David Lovell in yon abbey." Wasn't that the Dexter book? I'm quite sure of that. But what I need to refresh my memory is the Rope-Restoration in that book. I remember it had wooden sticks with a string, so that must be the Pillars of Solomon. What I want to know is whether it used the well-known method where the two sticks have to be kept connected at the bottom, or whether it used an improvement. I mean that practically everybody knows the old method of the connected sticks, but somebody told me there is an improved version where the sticks can be held completely apart after the cut? Is that true? And if so, was that the version I saw in the Dexter book?
131 Tricks for Amateurs was my very first magic book many years ago. Loved the illustrations and hand writing... it is still a prized/item in my library.

Cheers,

John
[quote]
On 2002-01-05 14:32, Bengi wrote:
Donít know who Will Dexter is.... but if you like the book, you made a good deal. If it has anything in it that you can use, you made a great deal.

Dated 1957 it is also considered to be an antique.

Bengi :rolleyes:
[/quote]
I believe it is considered "Vintage" but not an "Antique"