(Close Window)
Topic: Help with D'lites
I just bought D'lites and they are a tad to big for me... what should I do?? and also any tips to give me for them or neat effects?
Boil some water, stick the bottom part of the TT into the water (not the light part). Then take it out, and mold it with your fingers, pressing it down as small as you think your thumb will fit in it. DO NOT put your finger in it. It does hurt. Trust me. Also, let it cool a little before you press and mold it. It needs to be warm, but not too hot. And for your second question, pretend to eat the lights and pull them from your eyes and ears. Just use your imagination, there are many things to do with them. PM me if you have any more questions. Hope this helps.

:subtrunk:
Hmmm.. I have the same problem with mine being a little too big too. I'll have to try the water thing. Thanks BondJames628!

Jim
If you have an assistant you could each have a d'lite and play catch. For a small audience you could have your assistant point a laser pointer at a wall and you go over and grab the light off the wall, etc...
Hey that is an awesome idea:D yha ot even a christmas light haha
No problem guys. You can also have your two D'lites, pull them out of your ears (kids like this), throw them and catch them. Put one in the opposite jacket sleeve, act as if you are making it slide down your sleeve, then light it up in the hand of the sleeve you used. Eat two and light them up as you move your hands down from your throat, and pull them out of your stomach. Pull them from your eyes. Pull one out of a little lite up bouncy ball. Pull one out of a flame or flash paper. There are unlimited possiblities. Use your imagination.
The imagination is not in what moves you do with them. The imagination and creativity comes in how you really routine and work them into an entertaining presentation that is not just of mere skill.

Too many magicians just do them like producing, vanishing and reappearing them over and over. There is not logic behind it, no character and after the second time, it becomes way to redundant for an audience.

Use your creativity to develop a routine that makes sense and that is fun for the audience you are performing them for. Think outside of the norm.

Kyle
I do a routine in bars where I pull the neon gas out of a neon sign. I have super energy fields in my hands and have the ability to manipulate gas through glass. (Can you see the puns and one liners built in there?)
Nice idea Craig. Now you have given a reason and a purpose for the magic that you are doing and the audience can relate better to it. It adds something more for the audience to get excited about.

Kyle
I think I read some where the new blue ones could be used under water but I'm not sure. Anyone else read this?

190 posts!
Sounds great. I may have to look into that. I would love to hear some ideas people have for unique variations on routines they use or thought up for d'lites. What do you do that makes it interesting and fun and memorable for your audiences? What creativity have you come up with?

Kyle
What Mischief! I love my d'lites - Over the last three months they have taken me to Dance Floors and Music Festivals in search of low lit, high energy interaction. I enjoy relying on complicite and sponteneity to introduce the effect, perhaps intending to assist a random event goer when they ask "do you have a light?" or catching an admirers wink, performing secretly and mischievously around and about crowds collecting and confusing audiences on the journey. much funda..brilliant..!!
D'lite greens are at Murphy's.
I always have D’lites with me.

It seems to me that they are one of the few gimmicks that Do Not need a “reason and a purpose for the magic.” There is nothing wrong with building a story, but they seldom need it. Children will watch you as long as you keep moving them.

With the Red ones, all you need is a jumping off point. The scanning guns at most check out counters is a good starting point. I often say “there is some kind of red light in that thing” as the check out person starts to explain to me what it is, I pluck it out and put it in my pocket. I give no explanation, none is needed. Often they will ask me if I can do that again and try to get another check out person to watch. Sometimes I do it again, sometime I do not. Either way is good.

If a child walks by me in a restaurant with the lighted sneaks on, I do the same thing. I way (or may not) say can I see one of those. Mostly I wink at the parent as I put the light into my mouth and start a short routine. No big logical story is needed, kids do not always need that.

Any place a red light is sitting, is a good jumping off point.

I have the new Blue lights (they are sold 2 in a box). There are few blue light around for a starting of point, however they would be good for a self contained routine.

Bob
I'll have to try that with mine too... I thought that boiling them would have screwed up some of the electronics in it (battery etc.).
Trevcmagicman:
There are really no big electronics involved. A battery, a switch, and a LED.

You may be better off using a hair dryer than hot water. If you do use water, pour the boiling water into a cup and then CAREFULLY put the open end into the water for a short time only.

Bob
Thanks Wellington for the hair dryer tip. I might try that instead.
Some basic ideas.
You can use it as a regular TT for some effects.

It don't necessarily have to be on the thumb.

The glow will show thru a business card. Paddle move to show blank. Make the D'L blink and show the card printed.

Have a coin sleeved. Cup your hands and a glow appears. Drop hands, retrieve and show the coin.
One of the one liners I love to use with the Dlites is:

Take the light and pretend to swallow it. Then say " MMMM That's a light(lite) snack!" The people love it...
For a mentalism idea, while walking in the parking lot, when it is dark outside, ask a few spectators to come with you. Walk towards their car, or a strangers car and tell them to pick a tail light on the vehicle, left or right. Have them concentrate with you, then cup your hands together and put them about 6 inches from the tail light. Make the dlite light up and it reflects in the tail light. Looks great and freaks people out.
I tried to make my dlite smaller with the water technique described above. It didn't really work for me. I don't know if I did it wrong or not, but the opening didn't stay in the position I molded it to. I'll have to try it with a hairdryer now ;)

Jim
I wanan try and think of soemthing to do with a d'lite has never been done or rarely has.. everyone pass it around what else could you do? I thought of this one kind of comedy routine talk about fairies and how they re all around and get down on the ground and crawl around and pretend ur sneaking up on one and say they turn red when they are caught for defense or something and grab it and be freaking out like it is biting passing it from hand to hand then you can eat it ( alothough some ppl might not like that ) and put it through you ear.
Funny_gecko:

Who are the “everyone’s” that you refer to when you say:
“everyone pass it around”?

Bob
Oops sorry what I meant to say was... the only thing that I can think of with d'lites is like back from hand to hand up nose etc... which is all the only effects I can think of I wanted to make like a story to it etc... or a new effect oother than those.
Try using the dlite for a simple purpose (ie. for part of a trick)...maybe not an entire routine.

The light could act as a "soul" of a person or doll. Maybe you have a doll acting life like and then take its soul at the tips of your finger and put it into another doll for an evil transformation.

It could act as a ball.
It could be a scorching sun.
or maybe a crystal that you found deep in a cave.
maybe it could act as a fire fly that you catch out of the air.
Maybe, it's a flashlight.
or a shooting star.

I would also suggest tearing apart a Dlite to see its inner workings. They're available at any Radio Shack. Maybe purchase some of them and come up with an idea from there. Maybe you could make a zombie routine with a gimmick and light. Try floating the light with I.T.

Be creative.
Yanyak has the right idea. You must think outside of the box and use your imagination to see it not just as an object of liight, but what story can you develop and what magic can happen because of this.

There are many many different ways this can be thought up if you come to realize that the dLite is a magic tool. Use it in part to tell a greater magical story. Yanyak gave several nice ideas and they all start to get away from performing the trick as a trick. They begin to give the audience something more to get excited about.

Kyle
I just had a great idea!! a story of a magician who got lost in the forest and had to use all sorts of his maic to survive like fire starting etc...
It is possible but you need to make sure that 1) you define your character on stage and 2) you can easily convey the story in the short time that you have for the routine. Often this needs to be done through pantomime so your story and motions needs to express clearly your intentions to the audience.

It is a good start. Let's hear other ideas people have and find ways in which we can creatively think different ways to perform the dlites.

Kyle
How do you make it appear it is in the ice cube?
[quote]
On 2005-05-25 17:54, funny_gecko wrote:
How do you make it appear it is in the ice cube?
[/quote]

Place the ice cube on your fingertips and "activate the d'lite", use another and take the light out, put it back in and so on.
O very cool thanks:D
Think of the dLite as a utility prop and work out your creative ideas based upon this. Stop and learn that there is more to a routine then just making it light up and tossing it all around. Give the audience something more to enjoy. There is so much creativity you can do with this if you allow yourself to open up to the possibilities.

Kyle
Hmmm... I'm baffled why the hot water didn't work for you. Very curious indeed. I've done it several times and it worked perfectly for me. I'll experiment with it a bit and get back to ya. Did it work or not work for anyone else? Thanks!
Well how long do you usually dip it in the hot water?? I would dip it for a few seconds (10 max) and then I would shape it. It just wouldnt keep its shape. Was it something I was doing wrong?? When you shape it, are you just squeezing it around the edge to make it smaller? Please let me know.

Jim
It sounds like you were doing everything right. I may have dipped it a little longer, but not too much longer. Yeah, and then you shape it with your thumb and pointer finger, pushing it and sculpting it so the opening is smaller. You may have to do it several times to get it to stay, I'm not sure. Tell me what happens if you tru it again. I don't think you did it wrong at all. Hmmmmm....
[quote]
On 2005-05-22 00:03, Wellington wrote:
I have the new Blue lights (they are sold 2 in a box). There are few blue light around for a starting of point, however they would be good for a self contained routine.
[/quote]

What do you use to start a routine with blue D'lites?
I had another idea. Buy small light just like in your D'lites and a batery with a small switch. Put it in your hat. collect lights from air to your hat and suddenly inside of your hat begins to glow.You can pull lights from the hat after that =)
I hope people continue with this topic. so many good ideas. Kyle's posts have been very helpful in thinking through a routine (ie gearing it toward a particular audience, story, etc.). My D'Lites tend to stay in the drawer, except when I perform for small children. My wife is a Kinder teacher and acts as a partner in finding out where this tiny red fellow will turn up next (across the room? in a child's pcoket?); then I add a little humor as the imp goes from one ear to the other, out the mouth, etc. (more humorous to children I think). Unfortunately, I don't use the D'Lite too much around my fellow workers, perhaps thinking it more for children... but then I really liked the idea of picking off a piece of neon light at a bar.
Some people use their mobile phone for blue D'lites, like picking a light from the phone and throwing it back to light the phone. I think that for blue ones this could be a good start and finish.
Lynnef,
Thanks for the kind words. I think too many magician just tend to rely way to heavily on the dLites as the entire effect. By this I mean they show this light and dance it all around without any real rhyme or reason. They toss it hand to hand or place in hat or mouth only to return again.

Sure this is fun for the first 2 times, but after this it gets BORING!!!!! I mean really. think about what you are showing the audience. You have a light, you can dance it around, it goes out it comes back. Anything more then this is redundant. We magicians tend to perform DLites because it fascinates us and we perform it for US and NOT our audience.

Step out from the dLites and learn that they are ONLY a utilty prop and not a full routine by itself. Give your audiences something more in the routine to grab ahold of and to enjoy. Be creative with using the dLite. Think outside of the box.

If you really study the essence of it, it is the sudden manipulation of light. But this light source can come from anywhere. Just producing a light from no where has no real purpose or reason to an audience. But if there is a lightbulb on a table and all of a sudden it keeps blinking on and off. You bump it and it goes back on to white again and fades out. Frutsrated you bump it again and walk away only to see the light has tunred red as the music has also now changed to something more early. You stare at it and unscrew the bulb thinking you have beaten this weird magic that seems to be happening. Suddenly as you go to throw away the bulb in your hand, it lights back up again red.

This is just off the top of my head, but already you can see the difference here. Now you have a purpose for what you are doing. You are beginning to create magical drama with using the dLite ONLY as a utility to create the magical moments of entertainment value.

Think outside of the norm and create something different and unique to you.

Kyle
Kyle,
You never cease to amaze me. Great advice and a great idea. I agree, too many people look to d'lites as a trick instead of a utility. Hopefully you have opened the flood gates and people will begin to think of the unlimited ways they can use d'lites.

Jim
Weird E.T. routine.

Use a fake, latex wound or scar; or make it from something else.
Show the wound and explain how we use bandaids and ointment to help heal.
Show a bandaid and then put it away.
Recall how E.T. would touch the wounds and they would heal.
Show the healing.
Jim,

Thanks for the kind words. That idea was just off the top of my head and certainly was not totally thought out or planned as well as I usually take my creativity. It was meant only to show how the dLites should only be thought of as a utility prop and not the full essence of the trick itself.

Too many magicians do dLites as if it is just a trick with no meaning, no purpose and no fun after the first 2 times it ligts up. There is so much more that can be done with this if one opened their mind and realizes that this device has so much more potential then what people see it as.

It is pure manipulation of light and light can come in so many forms. I mean just think of how many things use light in our every day world? Man-made objects and even nature itself have light in them. With this in mind, the magician has a WEALTH of information to choose from and work from to create an act using dLites that now has much more fun for the audience watching it.

Too many magicians I see perform dLites for themselves and not for their audiences. Their love for the trick takes over and prevents them from seeing that the audience is bored silly with it after the first few times. They perform it that way because 1) they can and 2) they no no other ways to do it and 3) they are plane and pure lazy.

I am sorry to say it, but it is true. Magicians are plane lazy and a lot of us do not want to put forth the effort it takes to think creatively for fear of failure. we want the safe way out so we tend to mimic what we see working for others.

Forget what others are doing, Do NOT look at other magicians for insiration. Look towards yourself and look to the world around you and let THAT inspire your creativity. Once you do this, your magic becomes original to you and your audiences will thank you for it.

My 2 cents worth.

Kyle
I love the idea of getting the D'Lite from the checkout
I feel that it is all creativity and I never show both lights a once because that it give the imression you were working with to lights the entire time
It goes back to the premise of remembering that this is just a utility prop and using it as so, we must learn to think outside the box and develop routines that work around this utlity prop. I never felt that the central focus of the dLite should be the prop itself.

I strongly feel that your routine, character or storyline should be more important and entertaining as the main focal point. You then use the dLite to add to this overall entertainment value.

Be creative. To come on stage and just toss lites around and eat them for no reason at all, just seems trivial and boring at best. Why go that route when there is far more you can do with them and far more creative and rewarding experiences you can give to your audiences as well.

Kyle
One of my favorite uses for the D'Lite is around Christmas time. As Santa, I wear the naked D'Lite gimmick (no thumbtip) taped to my thumb beneath a white woven glove. As I finish talking with each child I offer them a very special gift. I reach to my heart and pluck out a bit of "Christmas Magic". I place the light into the palm of their hand, close their hand around it and pause for a second. When they reopen the hand I explain that a bit of my "Christmas Magic" now resides in their heart and it is their responsibility to keep it alive for years to come. Parents love the story and children remember it year after year.

:o) Skip
What a great story and a unique way in which to use dLite to bring a special emotional response from your audience. Nice idea.

Kyle
Wow, that is an amazing idea. Very smart
A word of warning...true story...A friend of mine began his D'Lite routine on stage by having a stooge in the front row shine a lazer spot onto his white jacket. He would notice the light, pick it up ala D'Lite then go into his act. Went well until he started hearing more and more laughter during a fairly serious part of the routine. He notices several red flashes from the audience...looks down and sees countless little red dots dancing over his tux...mostly focused in on the...ahem...nether regions. Completely ruined the mood of the act...but he had asked for it by giving the kids the idea to begin with. Those red dots haunted him the rest of the show. Really ticked me...er...ahem...him off! Be warned!

:o) Skip
Which is why you should use the dLites in a different manner entirely. Do not get it from a laser pointer. Use it as a means for a greater and fuller routine. Get the audience to have fun with the routine and they will be less app to react in this manner. The red light could be taken from a red lighbulb or a variety of creative ideas if you open your mind to thinking creatively.

Kyle
Right again Kyle. Also, I don't know how you would perform it, but D'Lites look very cool under water.
Sorry to intrude like this. I hope I am not off topic here.
I am waiting for my d'lites to arrive and I have two questions.
1. can the battery be changed?
2. if not , how long does it last ? (aprox. of course)
The batteries will last a long long time, even with "normal" use.
I'd say a couple of years. I've found, however, that the rubber tip itself tends to get soiled by then and so dark that it starts to become a problem.

You could change the battery yourself, depending: the older D'lites were pretty easy to pull out of the tip, in which case it's easy to change a battery, but the newer ones are encased in a plastic piece which is strongly glued in.

They have a limited lifetime warranty: If they ever fail, just send 'em back to D'Lite in New Jersey, and cover the shipping and handling for a replacement.
It's something like $7.60 for one D'lite, and it's $9.90 to replace a pair.
I just did this the other week, the turnaround time was surprisingly fast !

I agree with the mindset here, they're a great utility prop, not a trick.
Magicians who "poo poo" them simply aren't thinking enough.
There is a dealer that has Junior sized delights as well as adult sizes. They also have this thing were the delite floats around in the dark, Lots of cool ideas their. Heres the website:http://www.funtymemagic.com/shop/search.asp
It's in the middle of the page. Hope this helps!
Brian woodbridge
(Woodywizard)
I'm looking to add these to my repertoire soon, so I'm glad I read this topic first! It's always hard to think outside the box with tricks so "straightforward" as this (ditto Invisible deck, etc), so I'm getting a good headstart here. The thing about d'lites that appeals to me is simply the fun factor. I don't anticipate them being a real "wow" trick, but something to entertain and amuse spectators informally.
CJ: That is the problem most magicians have. The problem is that they can not get past looking at the prop as a trick. This only tends to hinder the magician from thinking in creative terms.

You also do not always have to concentrate your magic so much on the WOW factor as juch as you need to make sure your magic is entertaining to your audiences. You can entertain them in a variety of ways and include different elements into your show to create wow moments and emotional repsonse moments as well.

Thinking outside the box does take time and it takes practice as well. You need to train your mind to think in ways that it may not be accustomed to thinking.

Being an artist and graphic designer, I have always used different creative and brain storming techniques to generate art ideas for my fine art as well as my logo designs. I just had never thought about the fact that some of these techniques that I had always used, could not only carry over to magic, but could really work well.

The problem with creativity and brain storming is that we can not always focus as much as we want to be able to. There are so many outside influences and distractions that prevents our mind from staying on topic. We tend to drift around too much and never get a chance to lock in on some great ideas and to really explore them in detail.

The other problem is that we over think things too much. We often get hung up on trying to be creative and trying hard to figure out a particular idea, that we allow other great ideas to just roll on by our mind. All this frustration often leads to lack of creativity and so we shy away from trying it again out of fear.

So how can you brain storm effectively to really generate results while avoiding some of these more common pitfalls?Well, one suggestion is to occupy your mind and teach your mind to think a certain way by simply fooling it. The mind is great at doing tasks and accomplishing them. When your mind is actively involved in a step by step process, there is no time for it to wander likes it often does in most creative processes that we have used in th past.

One way to do this is a form of brain storming that was taught to me years ago and that I have modified since then over time. It is a process that focuses the mind to being creative even if it does not realize it is doing so. It works something like this:

Start off with an idea that you have for a act, routine or even a show. Figure out to yourself what are the main words or ideas that you want to generate ideas for in this new act or routine. Try and come up with the single words that best reflect this act.

For example, let’s use the idea of coming up with a magical routine that is themed around the idea of art. when we look at it we get two main words that are the focus for this act. Those words are “art” and “magic”.

Next, take out a sheet of paper and on the left side of the page, write the word art on the top. Now go over to the right side of the page and write the word Magic. Start with the word art. Start to think of any word that you can think of that has to do with the word art. The idea here is a free-flowing generation of words. You are not trying to develop ideas or thoughts. Just simply write down words that you associate to the word art. Some of these words might be; paper, color, paint, paintbrush, easel etc. I think you get the idea. Now you do the same thing for the word magic. Just generating words and not stopping to dwell on any of them.

Once you have compiled your lists, the fun and creativity really starts to happen. The idea is to start to cross reference words from both lists to generate new words and new creative ideas. For example you may take the word paintbrush from one list and the word vanish from the other list. All of a sudden you generate the idea of a vanishing paintbrush. You keep doing this by cross-referencing other words together.

By doing this, your teaching your brain to stay focused by occupying it with a select group of steps it must do. But in the end your generating ideas and creative thoughts that you may not have come up with on your own or in other means. It really does work and is quite amazing what can be generated just from this simple process.

I hope you may give this a try. If you do, please let me know how it works out for you. I am sure it will work. So sure that I can almost guarantee you will create better ideas and at a faster rate then ever before. If anyone would like other thoughts on this, or a better explanation of the process, please just e-mail me at magic4u02@aol.com. I would be happy to discuss it more with you.

What other bran storming techniques have worked for you?

Kyle
One way to use the D'lite is at the end with a napkin rose. I strip the napkin to one layer beforehand so it is very translucent. I hand the spec the rose by the bloom and when they touch the stem to take it I illuminate the rose for a brief second. I sometimes say nothing and sometimes they say nothing..not sure if they saw what they thought they did. I always look the person in the eye as I do this and never look directly at the bloom. If you look directly at the bloom when it lights it looks as if you expected it and takes the mystery from it. I hand it to them at almost eye level just to one side. They will at the least see it in their periferral vision. They always look into the rose to give you misdirection in case you want to ditch the d'lite. If they ask about the light I just supply appropriate patter to the situation and spectator.