(Close Window)
Topic: David Copperfield & Michael Jackson?
I've heard that David Copperfield actually invented illusions for Michael Jackson's tour back in the 90's.

Anyone know what the illusions where?

And also, I remember seeing DC mock Michael Jackson on one (DCs) of his specials.
It was about his hair burning - anyone remember this and have the details on it?
It was Franz Harrary not David Copperfield.
Sorry, I've heard that David was involved as well - infact David is in Michael Jacksons "Liberian girl" video. He is levitating in a cross legged position
I've always understood David Copperfield to be a performer rather than an inventor; that's not an indictment, a part of being the best is surrounding yourself with the best possible people for different jobs rather than trying to be the master of everything. Though according to him, and as far as his public is concerned, he invented the lot; that's just publicity. It's similar to Britney Spears writing all her songs, as far as her (pre)teen fanbase knows.

It's entirely probable that David's worked with Michael Jackson; Michael's a known magic fan and enormous celebrity, David is the biggest household name in magic, it's logical for them to appear together and give each other the rub. Franz Harrary, who actually handled the creative side of Jacko's illusions, unfortunately isn't nearly famous enough in the mainstream to be the face of them alongside Michael.
During a Super Bowl half time show Michael Jackson appeared in a flash ontop of the big screen. Maybe DC had something to do with that. I cant remember it all that well but MJ might have been on stage, dissapeared, and reappeared ontop of the bg screen. I might have just made that last part up in my head cause it was so long ago, I'm not sure.

Jim
It is true. I've seen the video of MJs Live tour back in the 90s and he credited it as "micheal jackson wishes to thank the magical genius of David Copperfield" in clear bold letters.
I know that Seigfried and Roy have worked with Michael Jackson, in fact ... Michael Jackson wrote their theme song for SARMOTI. They even said so during their show, which I felt brought new meaning to the term "brave".

JoeJoe
Even David Blaine rubs shoulders with Michael...

Heck, Uri Geller even...

By the way, Copperfield actually refers to Michael as "That's my Buddy!" after that Gag on his Special...

:)
Anyone have a clip of that gag on their pc ? pretty please- my friend is a BIG Michael Jackson fan and I wanna have a go at him! lol

Could you email it to me?
I was lucky enough to assist to the Superbowl realdealju refers to. It was at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. MJ magically appeared on stage. And you are right. He dissapeared and appeared briefly at the top of the big screen. Then he dissapeared again and back to the stage, where he took his bows.
I KNEW I didn't dream that. It was so long ago I couldn't remember what really happened and what didn't. Do you remember what year that was Jazz? I'm so glad you posted. A while ago when I first posted and no one responded I got so discouraged. Thank You!!

Jim
IŽll do you one better Jim. IŽll give you the exact date: January 31, 1993.
Thanks Jazz. Now to only find a video of the halftime show... hmmm. Thanks again.

Jim
Is there any other footage of the Illusions that MJ used? I'm not a fan of MJ, but I would like to see what he used in his show and how he used it.
The Michael Jackson Dangerous Tour ended with Jackson flying away in a rocket belt at an outdoor stadium. It aired on HBO so I'm sure someone out there has it.
The actuall magic part was the switch of Jackson with the rocket pilot, which I believe Copperfield was credited with.
Here's a link to the rocket belt company.
http://www.rocketmaninc.com/index2.htm
You know I think I've seen that. I was flipping channels quite awhile ago and saw that illusion, but when I tuned in, the performer was already wearing a helmet. So I didn't know what the show was. Thanks.