(Close Window)
Topic: I'm going to quit smoking again
Seriously, havn't had a full cigarette all day ... as soon as this ashtray full of butts is gone, all I've got is some gum. I've tried before, obviously not successfully. The longest I made it was six months.

This time I have high hopes, I need to quit to finish my quest to sword swallow ... I can finally get a strand of spagetti down my pharlynx. The acid the smoking triggers in the belly is no help for the SwSw'r, so I'm really determined this time. More determined then ever before.

Anyone have any tips or tricks? I know all the usual ones, here's one I'll share that I don't see in the lititure: pay-at-pump. The most likely place you will break down is when buying gas, all those cigarette boxes staring at you ... just pay at the pump with your CC and you won't have to look at them.

JoeJoe
Nicotine gum doesn't work for me, I can't keep it lit! (and the patch won't stick to my tongue) Seriouly, I hope you make it...
Slim
LOL!

Slim, think about this ... it was with your help that I was able to get past the pharlynx. I believe in the notes you sent me, you mentioned that you had lost a few friends to SwSw'ing. Now, you may have just saved the life of one! :)

Again, thank you Slim.
JoeJoe
That's it! If you have been that successful at giving up smoking, why not repeat it to encourage others?

Bob
Magic By Sander
The problem in quitting smoking is that it is REALLY easy. The only thing easier is to start it again... unfortunately.

I have to admire my dad's willpower. When I was born, he'd been smoking for 15 years and just decided to quit. Nothing to aid him. Haven't had a smoke since.

I haven't been very succesful in quitting, but have been able to cut down considerably-now a pack lasts about 4 days. I never smoke at home, only when I am at work and my goal is to quit completely when summer vacation begins.
About twenty months ago I suffered three pulmonary embolisms on the same day within two hours.

Needless to say I was 911'd to the ER where I was immediately transferred to Intensive Care.

I remained in Intensive Care for about a week and then was transferred to a regular room for a few days.

Now, what I want to say other than making a comment on how all of my attending physicians looked like they were too young to shave, is that You Can Quit!!

While I had a tremendous incentive to stop smoking, I believe that it is possible for anyone with a strong determination.

I smoked for thirty years. I no longer smoke and am glad that I quit.

I'm not preaching here, I just know that you can do it.

Need some support?

Just PM me and I will tell you what I know and what I personally went through.

Thanks,

Vincent :die: :magicrabbit: :die:
Applause, Vincent!!

I quit in early 2001, having smoked since the early 1970's. My motivation?? I was watching a video we had taken on Christmas morning in 2000. My young son was staring at all the presents that Santa had left him, and my wife, who was running the camcorder, was telling him not to open anything until I got out there. I could be heard in another room going through my customary early morning coughing fits. When I realized I was screwing up my only child's Christmas, I put the cigarettes down and never touched them again.

Everyone needs their own motivation.

~michael
JoeJoe, you can do it, you just have to want to quit. It took a heart attack and triple bypass before I quit.

Jeff
Thanks for all the encouragement ... no butts left today, so it'll be the first day withot a cigarette. Already getting fidgity, some shaking and a lot of finger tapping.

But I am excited and more determined then ever, just the thought of sword swallowing keeps my spirits high. If anything will motivate me to quit, it is my audience.

JoeJoe
JoeJoe:

Go for it!!! Keep up the good work. I was a three pack a day man for about 10 years. I went cold turkey about 20 years ago. I don't even want one. The first 5 years are the hardest. After that, it doesn't worry you.

I decided to quit because I earn my living with my voice. I figure that a public speaker who smokes is about as smart as a concert pianist who bangs his fingers with a hammer right before he goes on stage.
Hey JoeJoe,

I smoked from the 70s until 6 years ago. Over about a week's time I cut my smoking nearly in half each day... 2 packs, a pack, half a pack, 10, 5, a couple... then none. I was preparing to go for several days of long hikes in a very humid environment and knew that smoking less would make the event more pleasurable. It was for purely selfish intent and was a short term objective; didn't necessarily plan on quitting forever. However, once I had cut down to nothing I just grabbed that momentum and stuck with it.

I think one of the things that really helped was having a strong focus on my other project, the hiking trip. It was something I had really wanted to do for a long time and had been working up to it. The focus wasn't on quitting, so I didn't have that "don't smoke, don't smoke, don't smoke" ringing in my head. It was a positive motivation, to prepare for a positive event. I wasn't focused on NOT doing something... smoking.

When the urge comes over you take deep breaths, long slow breaths. That'll give you a little tingle and help you relax to get past the momentary desire. But mainly, focus on the things you're working to achieve. Focus on the sword swallowing. The quit-smoking project is not an end in itself. It is just one of many steps you're taking to prepare yourself for a greater thing. And it's okay to be selfish about it. Do it because YOU have other more important things going on, and smoking gets in the way of that. Then pursue your other goals with a vigor.

Good luck to ya!

Greg
I have been a smoker for 13 years before I stopped 8 years ago. This is something I'm very proud of.

On the last day of smoking, I told myself that I will not smoke tomorrow. Had my last one just before midnight. For the following 2 years, I stopped playing mahjong, stopped fishing and stop going to pubs. These are the places I tend to smoke more.

Greg's advice on taking deep breaths, long slow breaths actually helps. Hope you persevere and succeed.
Deep breaths ... right ... umm, do I do this before or after I choke the living crap outta someone??? Grrr ...

It seemed to get a little tougher at work today, but I'm hanging in there. Gum helps, but I'm trying not to get hooked on gum this time around - that's not quitting, just going from one addiction to another. I think the gum is actually worse on your health.

But I'm still hanging in there, gonna go stick something down my throat to remind me of why I am doing this. Thanks again for your encouragment.

JoeJoe
Oh yea ... get this - I actually felt like exercising today! I hope that part passes quickly, last thing I want to do is go get myself in good shape or anything like that.

JoeJoe
I forgot to mentioned that after I stop smoking, I put on 7 kgs. You'll need to exercise.
A friend of mine told me that when he quit smoking, he did it by eating apples instead of smoking cigarettes. He added, "I'm down to two bushels a day now."
[quote]
On 2005-05-25 23:36, Bill Palmer wrote:
A friend of mine told me that when he quit smoking, he did it by eating apples instead of smoking cigarettes. He added, "I'm down to two bushels a day now."
[/quote]

Yeah, and tobacco makes crappy pie.

~michael
Being a Virginia boy, I started smoking at about 13. Quit when I was 23 (about three packs a day), started again at 28 (when I got divorced), and quit finally (I hope) about 9 months ago. I feel great. Joejoe, if I can do it, so can you. I didn't even have to kill many people to do it.

Mark
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (May 26, 2005 08:32AM)
Some people are good at procrastinating and getting distracted.

Once upon a time someone put their pack of cigarettes down on the end table of the living room, and decided to practice procrastinating.

Whenever they got the urge or impulse to smoke, they would procrastinate, and get around to it later, then go do something else.

They must have improved their procrastinating skills over the last few years, as today they don't even know where that box of cigarettes is now.

They are sure if they wanted to smoke they could find them or get more, but they will get around to that later. They have other things to do.

Can you procrastinate? Will you let yourself procrastinate on smoking?
Nice Jonathan, that's a strategy I can get behind.

Mark
Good luck on giving them up. Now if I can only give up Donuts!
Froggy
So far so good, with the exception of a few bursts of road rage I have been pretty calm today. Chewing some gum.

As I was driving to work, I thought about some of the jokes posted here ... you guys are great, that helped take the edge off. If you got anymore, keep em coming!

I said to myself there is no way I'm breaking down now, there is just no way I'm coming home to have to post that I started smoking again ... this is turning out into a great motivational factor in itself, glad I posted. :)

JoeJoe
JoeJoe,

Congratulations on wanting to quit!

Thanks to Jeff McBride and Eugene Burger I was able to quit using Allen Carr's truly magical book, The EasyWay to Quit Smoking. They recommended it to me over 2 years ago. I read it in a weekend. At the end of the book, Carr tells you to go have your last cigarette.....and you do!

No hassles, withdrawals, etc....

All the best ~ Fredrick
Good luck mate.
Holding my head down in shame, I must confess I broke down yesturday and lit up. <sigh>

I'll check out this book Fredrick, already found a place I can order it online but I'm hoping I can pick it up locally.

JoeJoe
Here is my method I came up with. It works. It sounds dumb but it WORKS. I'll be brief and condense it for you.

Have your last cig at 9pm. The next morning when you get up say at 7 am, you have not smoked for 10 hours. You have been a non-smoker for that time. Thus at the moment of awakening, you are a NON-Smoker. As a Non-Smoker, why would you have an urge to lite up? If you are a Non-Smoker, you wouldn't. So...any weird feelings, MUST BE SOMETHING ELSE. Tell your self that. EVERY TIME. Example...you don't eat dog turds (I'm assuming) thus if you have a craving or odd urge it wouldn't be for a dog turd right? MUST BE SOMETHING ELSE...might be for some Mandarin Oranges or a walk around the block or chewing on a pencil...but it can't be for a cig because you are a NON Smoker...as a NON Smoker it wouldn't even cross your mind any more than a dog turd would. List lots of SOMETHING ELSES that you can turn to. Remember your metabolism will be altered so try and not gain 40 lbs by turning to the wrong something elses. Talk to your own mind...It Must Be Something Else...

Try it for 3 days. Then 3 weeks. Then 3 months.

Live long and prosper.
Posted: Jun 2, 2005 1:09pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please read my method in the above post...and here's what will happen and why you WILL do it for three days...and beyond...

* "Just 20 minutes after your last cigarette, your blood pressure and
pulse rate drop to normal and the body temperature of your hands and
feet increases to normal."

* "A mere 8 hours after your last smoke, the carbon monoxide level
decreases and the oxygen level in your blood increases to normal."

* "Just 24 hours after your last cigarette, you substantially lessen
your chances of having a heart attack."

* "Two days after your last cigarette, you will notice that your
ability to taste and smell is enhanced."

* "Three days later, your breathing should be noticeably better
because your lung capacity will be greater."

* "Your circulation will improve and your lung functioning will
increase up to 30% within two weeks to three months after quitting."

* "Between one month and nine months, the cilia in your lungs will
regenerate, allowing your body to clean your lungs and reduce
infection."

* "One year after quitting, your risk of coronary heart disease is
half that of a smoker."

* "Five years after quitting, your risk of stroke is reduced to that
of a nonsmoker."

* "Ten years after quitting, the lung cancer death rate is about half
that of a continuing smokers. The risk of cancer of the mouth, throat,
esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decreases."

* "Fifteen years after quitting, your risk of coronary heart disease
is that of a nonsmokers.

(U.S. Surgeon General's Reports (1988, 1990)

Note: You may cough more for a week or two as the lungs clean themselves. Also smoking tends to burn calories faster so it's best to attempt some form of excercise to compensate.
[quote]
On 2005-05-26 23:09, JoeJoe wrote:...
I said to myself there is no way I'm breaking down now, there is just no way I'm coming home to have to post that I started smoking again ...[/quote]

Doomed from the start by negative language.

Yes, you did. Okay it was a day later the self fulfilling prophesy came true for you.

How about a more positive statement of your goal and your desired outcome?

How do you know a magician smokes? They stink!

Perhaps you could try something like: "I would like myself and my clothes to smell better" or "I want to enjoy the air I breathe and the smells of the food I enjoy"

Go for it!
In your mind is the key and the lock.

The lock is your smoking.
The key is your conviction.

I have the impulse to grab at the behinds of beautful women. I use the key to lock this desire into the realms of just a thought and not an action.

I have stopped a few times.
Each time I just stopped dead and lasted for anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. I found it easy.
I restarted only by unlocking that area and letting myself go.
The next time I give up I will throw away the key.

Joejoe. I can PM you with some ways to control the feelings and thoughts you have if you want.
No need to be ashamed just don't do it anymore. Hell, Eugene Burger quit smoking, you can too. And I'm telling you, he smoked A LOT. Hang in there Bud, it get'd better, I promise.

Mark
I think it had more to do with fighting with my girlfriend for three days over this whole sword swallowing issue than anything else, I know she doesn't want me doing it - she feels it is more dangerous than the bullet catch. She doesn't understand why I must do it ... nobody does, nobody ever will. I can't explain it myself, I just know it's something I have to do. There is no way I can not do it.

I will quit ... soon I'm sure, I can't keep smoking if I want to keep my pitchmans voice. I was able to quit last summer when doing the shows, it will happen again this summer I know it.

Partizan: feel free to PM me anything you want on the subject, I'm willing to listen to any suggestions. They say nicotine is the most addictive substance known to man, even more addictive than herrion. My biggest problem is my temper when going through withdrawl. It's defidently something I do not want to be doing, I just had to calm down.

JoeJoe
Quiter...
Look at quitting from this perspective:

1. Smoking is not a weight control measure

2. Smoking cannot reduce tension, end frustrations, solve problems, nor relax you

3. If it could perform these miracles, certain things would have to be true, for example:

a. Every smoker ought to be skinny and relaxed

b. We would have very little need for things like Librium and Prozac

c. Doctors would prescribe nicotine for their overweight, tense patients

Above all, why don't the tobacco companies tell us of these miracles? They are yet free to advertise. I know nothing of marketing but I do have enough common sense to know that if I possessed a product that could reduce or relax people---I would tell them. I wouldn't try to convince them that they could look like cowboys; I'd just tell 'em they could be skinny and relaxed.

I've met very few people who were happy with their weight and no one ever convinced me they were not tense sometime or other. So what more universal appeal could any product have than that it relaxes and reduces? If you and I can puzzle that out, don't you suppose there must be someone at some tobacco company at least as smart as us? So why have we not seen ads promising us we could benefit in these wonderful ways by smoking?

I think any person wanting to quit should look objectively at their habit. If what they did were not killing them it would be funny. They are grown people who yet need a pacifier. They set fire to little weeds and stick 'em under their noses while all the time knowing what any intelligent person must; that there is no hope of a benefit and that the only result of smoking is that it robs them of health and vigor.

The government periodically releases reports on smoking. These studies suggest that only about 22% of adults now smoke and that over 70 million Americans have quit. The average person quit 19 years ago and about 90% of them quit on their own. That is, they didn't chew gum, eat pills, or wear patches. They just got tired of being a snook and threw them away.

What's the big deal? If 70 million people have quit, I suspect you can, too.

As a psychotherapist, I suggest all my clients engage in a bit of honest reasoning. There will be no parade when you quit. They won't name the nearest school after you. You aren't the first, just the 70 millionth. Get on with it, and if you need help, see a hypnotherapist. It really works and has been accepted by the AMA for more than 40 years. But, hypnosis doesn't make it possible to quit, it only makes it easier. The 70 million Americans who quit--most of whom couldn't spell hypnosis--show that the only thing necessary to quitting is a sufficient will to be free of this terrible burden.

Good luck to you.
It's hard, but it's possible... Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can. But, you have to really want it. And that's the difficulty for many people. That and the confrontation with people with whom you shared the habit. They (mostly involuntarily) make you want to start again.
And in life, as in magic, wanting, wishing is the key.
If you really want those little devils to disappear, you will succeed. If you see it as something that you have to do (unless for medical reasons), you probably won't.
That's how I see it.
[quote]
2. Smoking cannot reduce tension, end frustrations, solve problems, nor relax you
[/quote]

Smoking may not reduce tension, but nicotine withdrawal most definitely trigger tension and anger. I am beginning to realize that most of my failed attempts were due to my anger and tension created by this withdrawal. Perhaps that is the underlying factor that I need to address. I can fight off the cravings, up to the point that I can't handle the stress of it. Right now, I'd like to just disappear for a week or two, fall off the face of the earth ... and return a non-smoker. I can't take a vacation right now, but if I don't quit I may try that route this fall.

Traveler: interesting enough, the people that nag me the most to quit ... are the same people that end up telling me to light up!

Last night when practicing the SwSw'ing, I had a nice burst of stomach acid come up ... smoking is something that I must do for medical reasons if I want to achieve my goal in life. So it will happen, I may see a doctor and get that Zyban pill thingy.

Like so many other times in my life, I again I find myself wishing I had become a doctor so I could come up with my own alternative type concoction, it's not the tobacco that is the problem - the problem is what they do to the cigarettes that make them addictive. Like, soaking them in ammonia so the nicotine can bond to the lungs faster. If you have ever smoked straight tobacco from the leaf, you would know what I mean - it is an entirely different effect, there is no "rush". If I was a doctor, maybe I could figure out a way to block that bonding process and prevent the rush ... rendering cigarettes useless to a smoker, even if there was a relapse. Not many doctors think like magicians, and that's really a bad thing - as magicians are (IMHO) the most creative people in the world.

JoeJoe
Quit for yourself, Quit for others.

4,000 people each year die of 2nd hand smoke.

Good Luck!
I can tell you of a way to cut down drastically. For example, from 40 cigarettes a day to 5, when the urge comes for a smoke its only the first 2 puffs needed to satisfy your craving for nicotine, then put it out. Next time you want your 2 puffs relight your submit will taste stale so after one puff put it out. You keep doing this you will find that your intake will reduce. After one week you will have convinced yourself that you have cut down to 5 and also have quite a bit more money in your pocket, mike