(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite Impromptu Restaurant effect
Take a second to post your favorite impromptu effect that utilizes common props found on restaurant tables, or in a restaurant that are readily available to be used for a magical demonstration.

My favorite effect is the torn and restored napkin and signed coin to sugar packet. :righton:

Thank ¥ou.

__________-=DecOY=-_______________
How about a nice sponge ball effect using crumpled up napkins as a substitute?
Excellent Idea dchung, one question though. When you crumple a napkin into a ball, does it still retain its sponginess? What I mean is, wouldn't a smashed napkin perform more like a billiard ball than its sponge counterpart? I'll have to try it. Great idea!

Thank you,
________________-=DecOY=-___________________
My favorite when not prepared is the ashes through hand trick. It can be shown having a bunch of people around and it's soooo easy to do. It's old and it might be silly, but try to show it and you will see it's working! People never find out, but only show it once. :nod:
Kraminator,
If you like the ashes through hand trick, you should definitely try performing it with lipstick. I think it's Gregory Wilson that has a handling for it, if it really matters. Thanks for the response,
__________-=DecOY=-____________ :firedevil:
Decoy,

I'm not saying you should crumple it up tightly. In fact, you shouldn't. That way you still get the compressibility that you get with sponge balls.

Cheers,
dchung
dchung,
Thank you for clarifying.
Magically,
___________-=DecOY=-_________ :firedevil:
This may sound like a silly question, but here it goes...what exactly happens in the ashes through hand effect? I'm unfamiliar with this one.
You can always do melted, you only need a shoe lace and a ring— how difficult are they to find? :)
How about "floating dinner roll" (fork is the Zombie gimmick, and cover is a napkin), or signed, torn and restored sweetener packet (using TT)?
Actually napkins are not bad, but those at restaurants are a little hard don't ya think? Try using tissue paper, much easier. =) I've put two balls as one in a spectator's hand before, and they felt it, which spoils it. But yeah, from there you could turn it into a joke if you're going more for the entertainment. It's really up to you.
Liquid B,

What happens is ashes are placed on the top of a closed fist and blown away. Then they appear inside the fist.
I still like the old classic, vanishing salt shaker under the premise of vanishing a coin under the salt shaker. It still blows them away.

Also, it's easy to do a paddle routine with a butter knife (you would need a marker to make it).

Paper napkins don't work very well for a sponge ball routine. I have tried it.
However, they work quite nice for a makeshift cups and ball routine using coffee cups and the balled up napkins.

I usually have a TT on me. A torn and restored sugar or Sweet 'N Low gets a great response as does vanishing a lit cigarette in your bare hand using the same device.

:magicrabbit:
I adore the swallowing of the spoon/knife gag. I recently saw a child that I hadn't seen for 3 years, and he still wanted me to swallow another spoon. I find that a floating spoon using the fork as a Zombie is much more effective (heavy floating 'n stuff). But you have to watch talking when the fork comes off.
I like T&R napkin, but I do a version where you "teach" them the trick, then restore the duplicate. For those that can't figure it out, it's on page 453 of Mark Wilson's encyclopedia of magic.
-toodles!
Thanks dchung.

Liquid B
Jay Sankey does a cool version of Chop Cup on his vid "Short and Sweet" using full/empty creamers as cups and balled up creamer lids as balls. Pretty good effect.
I suggest swizzle sticks as paddles. I use two or three and that determines how I frame up the routine. I took quite a number of black color swizzle sticks (Johny Walker Black Label), scraped off the picture and stuck plastic flies on them. [i]Voila[/i]! I have my fly circus. Added with the sound effects, the spectators really go nuts!
I pull a knife out of a dinner roll after asking the waiter/waitress for some extra silverware. I usually get extra food. :)
I like the penetration of the Salt Shaker through the table in an attempt to vanish the coin as referred to in an earlier message. I don't think that most are aware of how far you can press this technique.

For example, I once was asked to do something in a nice Italian eatery. We had wine glasses and nice cloth napkins. I was able to vanish the wine glass using the heavy napkin. Although this was NOT easy it shows that you can use things that you wouldn't at first allow. The response was dynamic and I followed up by eating my knife.

Note also I have made TTs using paper napkins and water. Mold them around your t**** like paper maché. Let dry for about 30 minutes. Great for vanishing salt, etc.

Best,
Brad Burt
Torn and restored napkin is good. I also like using the napkins for the effect "Two in the Hand—One in the Pocket".

Steve
Placing a full glass of water upside down over a coin, then leaving. I only do this to a rude waitress.
vinny
Spoon (to be speaking in detail, P. Wilson's handling) or Benechek fork bending and twisting routines.

If I have my cards out I combine them with napkin kind of magic where they find their selection under it or something like that. Good way to follow up is Scarney's vanishing deck from napkin trick.

Sometimes I do Harlan's Starcle and of course napkin rose. Oh there's something called Paper Chase in the AOA books but I haven't tried it on real people. Have you? If so, what are your experiences with it?
Thanks
A very nice routine I ran into was John Carney in an early Stevens tape where he had a coins and glass routine where first the coins penetrated the glass, then it ends with the glass penetrating the table. Very very clean and smooth ideas. Totally impromptu, just needing some change, a rocks type glass, and a paper napkin. The exact name eludes me but I think it was something really basic like "coins and glass"...but heck, how many tricks share that name? ;)
Is this while eating at the establishment or you're actually being paid to be there?

If I'm actually working, I like Slydini's pins (which aren't impromptu, but appear to be), 10000 grains of salt (from Michael Ammar's "Money Miracles" videos), and my billswitch (which doesn't use a TT and is pretty visual, while remaining ungimmicked).

If I'm eating, I like to do a lot of lapping stuff a la Slydini (can you tell I like his stuff?). When done well, people are floored and a few general techniques open up a world of possibilities.

If you learn a series of universal tools (lapping, timing, misdirection, sleeving, TT, pocketing, etc), you'll be ready to improvise effects. Then, you'll be doing TRULY impromptu magic.

-Dave Cross
Dan Harlan has an effect with a napkin where he folds and tears it. When he opens the napkin, the whole is in the shape of a circle. When the torn out portion is opened, the paper is in the shape of a star. I believe the effect is called Starcle.

DonB
Hey Sigivert,

I think you're pretty darn close on the name of the John Carney effect. He actually calls it "Coin In Glass" and if it's the same routine that I'm thinking of you'll find it on "Coin Classics Volume 1 - the Greater Magic Video Library Teach-In Sessions" put out by Stevens Magic Emporium.

The copy I've got isn't all *that* old (copyright 2000) and it's got a HEAP of really good routines from a lot of different guys— Mike Ammar, Jay Sankey, David Regal, John Carney, and even J.B. Bobo. Obviously, it's all about coin magic, but there are lots of impromptu effects that would work great in restaurants.

A *really* great video. For those who may not have heard of it, do yourself a favour and pick up a copy straight away!
My all time favorite impromptu effect is one that can be done just about anywhere, including a restaurant. You can borrow all the props. You borrow a quarter, a nickel and a dime. Write "Why the Dime?" on the back of a business card (without allowing the spectators to see what you have written). Then place the card on the table with the writing side down.

Place the three coins on top of the card. I think most of you know how this finishes up. It may seem to be a silly trick, but it really amazes the spectators.
Impromptu cups and balls (Chinese restaurant tea cups are best).

Paper balls over head.

Vanishing salt shaker. :hotcoffee:
Someone mentioned "Ashes Thru Hand" as a dinner table effect.

I would use caution with that. Some people would find it distasteful to have cigarette ashes smeared on their hands in conjunction with eating. Perhaps if all were smokers it would be all right, but even then I'd be careful. Messy stuff is better saved for another time, IMHO.

My fave at the table is Zombie Dinner Roll.
I like to do PK Silverware for many reasons! :smoke:
1) Torn and restored napkin

2) Ashes thru the hand
Smashed - broken and restored wine glass, knife through napkin, bottle through table, Perrier with a twist, himber wallet (no money to pay check) various TT routines and so forth.
Greg Wilson has an effect on his "On The Spot" video using crumpled napkins as sponge balls, he calls it sponge napkins. I prefer Jay Sankey's Stirring Silver, where a borrowed ring penetrates a borrowed spoon twice under seemingly impossible conditions.
Sankey has a great dinner table routine hidden in a set of notes. You cover a glass with a napkin and then you vanish a quarter. You crumple your hands over the napkin covered glass and you HEAR the coin arrive in the glass. You do it a second time with a second quarter. Then you smash the glass through the table.
When I feel the need for a peek, I order my coffee black.
I am working on R. Paul Wilson's Coin Thru Table in his book 13. It can be done standing.
[quote]
On 2002-10-21 11:03, Decoy wrote:
Kraminator,
If you like the ashes through hand trick, you should definitely try performing it with lipstick. I think it's Gregory Wilson that has a handling for it, if it really matters. Thanks for the response,
__________-=DecOY=-____________ :firedevil:
[/quote]
Or you should try Hustler by Jay Sankey. It uses pool chalk.
Let's see...
Eating a knife
Some of the PK Silverware stuff
Dan Harlen's Starcle
I always have my loops with me.

Dan's Impromptu 3 is a great effect with an invisible cow. :cool: Have not done it yet, maybe tonight.
My favorite impromtu effect is always a center tear reading. I love a good center tear. :smoke:
I love any of the pk silverware stuff.

The other night I was totally caught off guard. I was eating and the people I was with kept saying "do a trick." (I felt like fido). anyway, I notice that there were two salt shakers on the table, instead of salt and pepper. What an opportunity! I casually excused myself to the bathroom, and loaded a pepper from another table. When I got back, I waited a few minutes, then said "why are there two salt shakers and no pepper shaker."

I then did a switch [would say, but for fear of any exposure (I'm not familiar enough with this board yet to know where to draw the line) I won't]. it went over wonderfully!
My favorite impromtu effect is "coins under saltshaker".

Rudy
Maybe it might be more of a gag, but Mac King's "Eyescream" (jabbing a fork into your eyeball) can be a lot of fun if done at the right time. :eek:

(I do it without exposing the M.O. at the end.)

Bob
My favorite is traveling boobles from one can to second can. This is Paul Haris idea (I learn it from T. Mullica video). Very nice, simple to do and really impromptu :D
Another favorite is David Williamsons "salt in coffee cup". (I don't remember the correct name for it, it was written up in Genii Magazine several years ago).
Effect: inside of coffee cup is wiped clean by spectator then set aside. A handful of salt is then made to vanish, spectator is asked to look in coffee cup and the salt has reappeared inside.

Rudy
Apart from loops there is a great routine on one of Greg Wilsons videos, a penetration of a ring onto a spoon and then the vanish and reproduction of the ring. This routine has been gold to me. Thanks Greg!!!
My fave whilst seated is vanishing fork, done when they are under the impression you are bending it, you then vanish it (involves misdirection and lapping like salt shaker trick)
Sponge napkins without a doubt. I love it!
Greg Wilson's Glossy Finish, off his On the Spot videos.
Coin in Sugar Pack, from the much maligned Jawdroppers video is a great effect. When this infomercial was running on TV the boards were full of magicians who got the method wrong! Very good example of misdirection and naturalness instead of finger-flicking.
[quote]
On 2002-12-17 00:14, Bill Palmer wrote:
My all time favorite impromptu effect is one that can be done just about anywhere, including a restaurant. You can borrow all the props. You borrow a quarter, a nickel and a dime. Write "Why the Dime?" on the back of a business card (without allowing the spectators to see what you have written). Then place the card on the table with the writing side down.

Place the three coins on top of the card. I think most of you know how this finishes up. It may seem to be a silly trick, but it really amazes the spectators.
[/quote]

I fear I don't, can I get a hint on it please? :rolleyes:
I usually like to do the spoon thru ring from Best of Sankey, vol 1. it's fast, quick and in your face.
Glass through table is a good one. Along with the old bending spoon.
One cup/bowl routine with lemon or bread roll final load... salt shaker thru table. :dancing:
I am kinda lazy. In that situation I will to Memory effects or cold reading.
.............Jesse
I always wear rubberbands so...I would have to say crazy man's handcuffs.

P.S This is my 500th :cool:
I believe there is a routine by Slydini using a sugar packet. Open the packet, pour out the sugar, vanish it. Hand the empty(?) sugar packet to the spectator. It's now full.

This kills.

Flight of the Paper Balls plays well, too, speaking of Slydini...

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
I will go into a restaurant with a group and secretly take someone's spoon as we are sitting down. (secretly place it shell like into your own spoon). When they notice they don't have one, announce that you can fix that. Pick up your nestled spoons as one, with the back towards them and proceed to rip it into two spoons and give them one. This usually gets a few jaws dropping.
I like the singed 25c into a sugar pack
Hello everyone,

I like crazy manshancuffs followed by a rubberband vanish (You have the rubberbands in the beginning position of CMH and vanish one of them, very clean, great effect, you can reproduce the second rubberband from wherever you like, I prefer from my sock).
Also the coin that falls upwards by John Cornelius. I do this twice and then ask the spectator if he/she wants to try it. Then I vanish the coin using a retention pass, and show both hands empty using a whiped clean move from micheal Ammar and finally reproduce it on my upperarm. Blows them away completly.

Simon (<---- new here)
Message: Posted by: pasteboardforbrains (Jul 20, 2003 04:38PM)
I like... Saltshaker vanish/through the table, zombie roll, and spoon bend.
:pirate:
If a can borow a cigarette, I do a short routine with it, like vanish it, sticking it up my nose, ripping the filter off and restoring it.

I also like the saltshaker through table with a borowed coin. I follow up with watch the coin by Mark Nathan Sicher, and if I hapends to have some wax on me I end it with coin on ceiling.

Jonas Karlsson
Vibono Magic
Sweden
I just pull a knife from a roll really easy, but pretty cool
I like sankey's penetrating straws
If there is a dollar bill on the table or bar, I do the bill tear- it is always powerful to borrow someones money to do a trick- especially tearing up their bill. Don Wilson
Mr. Clean Coins Across.
Decoy and Keven,

What version of coin to sugar packet are you discussing. (I'm not asking for the methodology, just a reference). Thanks.
I've found just about anything can do, depending on the 'perception' of your abilities before you even begin. What I mean is I've done something as simple as write a 'prediction' down and do a simple force of 5 objects on a table. Might not be that effective if you were to just walk up to somebody, but when you're with people who already are a bit of a 'believer' in stuff you do, it can be fantastic.

Oh, and one other thing. There was this guy who had really become a little too freaked over some stuff, and (I couldn't believe I even tried it) I did the 'prediction' (for lack of a better word) of a card where you have them pick a number between 1 to 4, then pick a color red or black, then pick one of the suits. (where they 'often' pick 3 of hearts) AMAZINGLY he followed it step by step, and I had that 'prediction' sitting under his hand the whole time. (I wrote the 'card' value and suit on a piece of paper)

After seeing his reaction I'm quite certain he'll always remember me. Anyway, just a fun story I thought I'd share.
There is a great little prediction trick that I like to do involving sugar packets. I forgot where I got the effect from but it is pretty much like using the old double-sided quarter and predicting the date on the remaining coin.

I use about 10 sugar packets and number them from one through 10. I make my prediction on a napkin to which number sugar packet will be left remaining. The spectator gathers up all the sugar packets, shakes them in their hands and throws them up to land on the table. All sugar packets that land number side down are eliminated. When one sugar packet is remaining, my prediction is turned over and the number matches. :applause:
Life without a thumb tip is no life at all. I buy them by the dozens and lose them in dry cleaning like there was a future to it. But there is always something that you can do with it that is specific to that meeting. If nothing else, you can trade business cards or come up with enough money to pay the tip or the tab. Yep! I'm all thumbs. I wonder what the other fingers are for?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I disappear when the check comes. :rotf:
I like to use Sankey's "Stirring Silver" It's a great penetration effect using a spoon and a borrowed ring. I first learned it off of Sankey-tized I believe, but it is also on his "Best of … " DVDs. Not sure what volume off the top of my head. I'll have to check when I get home.
Before I start, I think it should be mandatory people list Creators and the Source behind some of the lesser known effects so we may locate them.

Two effects: One is from Magic for Dummies. It requires a small set up but you could carry it with you anytime.

Effect: You take a packet of sugar and empty the contents into your fist. The sugar disappears. All is examinable. Secret: Take a sugar packet poke a pen sized hole in the bottom and empty the sugar. Plant the packet or switch it in. Rip the packet at the side with the hole. You are clean. The rest is acting! People enjoy watching this effect as I act like this may not work and I might look stupid. It creates suspense.

2nd is from Johnny Tremain's Encores 3 video. A truly unique 1 dollar bill tear. You borrow their bill and immediately rip it! It's stunning. I won't give away the secret but PM and we can share effects. No thumb tip! There bill is actually ripped! You end clean with both hands shown.
I'm a fan of salt shaker through table and T&R napkin, though I have started doing a burned &R napkin now, as burning the napkin is more visual and I think it's a bigger shock.

Cheers
In addition to many of the options listed I'll do a paddle effect with a butter knife and bits of napkin stuck to the blade with water.
[quote]
On 2003-11-07 02:53, kihei kid wrote:
I disappear when the check comes. :rotf:
[/quote]

Hahahahaha! My favorite is "Italian Spoon" but I cannot remember who did it on the Tonight Show 15 years ago or so. It's self-working but looks remarkably difficult.
Glass through the table.
[quote]
On 2003-01-22 23:43, marlynn wrote:
When I feel the need for a peek, I order my coffee black.
[/quote]

How to cheat at poker...Yellow Springs Library.

M
My favorite impromptu restaurant trick is the vanishing salt shaker, presented as a coin vanish. You know the trick, the coin stays, the shaker vanishes.

I did this at DisneyWorld for my family, and my wife, who thinks my magic is pretty tame, was truly amazed.

As it happened, one of the most famous magicians of all time, Merlin the Magnificent, was strolling by. My youngest then maybe three proceeded to repeat the trick for Merlin. Just as she had just seen me do it.

Of course, nothing vanished from under the napkin. This startling revelation upset the child so much that she made everything vanish by brute force, waving her arms frantically side to side. (It looked like a version of removing the table cloth and leaving the table still perfectly set for dinner.) We weren't charged for breakage.

Merlin said, "Impressive technique." Totally deadpan.

This is the funniest magic trick I've ever seen.
I like to do a balancing act. Spoon and fork with toothpick balanced on edge of glass.
I've always liked this one that I found in some library book a long time ago. Shake a little salt on the table and hold the shaker in your fist. Take the pepper shaker in your other fist and sprinkle a little pepper over the fist holding the salt shaker. Open that hand...and the salt shaker has disappeared. Now take a pinch of salt off the table and sprinkle it over the fist holding the pepper shaker. Open that fist, and the pepper shaker has vanished as well. Just a little well-timed la__ing and you've got a miracle. I also like the thumb-tipless version of burnt and restored napkin as performed by Tom Mullica on Vol. 16 of Expert Impromptu Magic Made Easy (Video).
[quote]
On 2002-10-23 06:18, actorscotty wrote:
How about "floating dinner roll" (fork is the Zombie gimmick, and cover is a napkin)...
[/quote]

EXACTLY what I was going to say. I did this effect just the other day too.
Vanishing sugar is a pretty nice trick, although the clean up afterwards is a bit messy...
Also that spoon bending routine where you don't actually bend the spoon is pretty good, and better for impromptu restaurant performances than actual spoon bending, since most silverware is pretty sturdy these days.
<i>There is a great little prediction trick that I like to do involving sugar packets. I forgot where I got the effect from but it is pretty much like using the old double-sided quarter and predicting the date on the remaining coin.

I use about 10 sugar packets and number them from one through 10. I make my prediction on a napkin to which number sugar packet will be left remaining. The spectator gathers up all the sugar packets, shakes them in their hands and throws them up to land on the table. All sugar packets that land number side down are eliminated. When one sugar packet is remaining, my prediction is turned over and the number matches.</i>

This effect is from Paul Harris' Art of astonishment Vol. 3. It's very powerful, I find. I'll do Stirring Silver (Sankey) if someone has a ring, or more often, borrow a penny and quarter and do a transposition with no dupes. My favorite impromptu is Thumb Thru Ear (no TT, just some acrobatics). I don't know where it's from, so I appreciate any input, but Harry Allen taught it to me a few years ago.
I like the floating dinner roll, the salt shaker through table, and also the bent and restored spoon. Also, I've found out if you pass the salt shaker under the table to someone who is helping you, they can set it on the table while the attention is on you. Then you can make it vanish from the napkin, and then make it reappear back on the table. Instead of just making it pass through the table. Just a suggestion.
:coffee:
The bouncing dinner roll ala Jay Marshall and the magnetized straw are two of my favorites. The straw used to be a cigarette before PC. Lay the straw on the table, scribe a circle around it a few times to magnetize the straw then have it roll along with your finger as you move your hand away from you.

Nick Maggio
When I do restauraunt work I like to get there before serice to do my pre show set up and in this time I like to plant cards under table clothes and tape cards to windows and put cards in vases.
"I like... Saltshaker vanish/through the table, zombie roll, and spoon bend."

I would totally agree with this statement. I have been doing these effects since I was a kid, and still do them today :)
Any routine with spoon, coin, bill, straw and crayons could work. Look at Martin Garder's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic, the best resource you can find.
Didn't see it, did anyone m,ention starcle?
I had a "great" time with the glass (salt shaker) through table once... For some reason basically I missed the drop and had the horrendous feeling of a glass rolling down my leg and smashing on the floor (damn tiled floors). Needless to say the magic was lost at that point, but the waiter was really cool about it and didn't seem to mind me crawling around on the floor sweeping glass from under the table!
Chris
Bill switch...napkin to a real bill. (Muerte's gimickless bill switch)