(Close Window)
Topic: Glass walking
My friend and I (both pro magicians) have somehow created a desire to walk on glass. We would appreciate any help in aiding us as to the best form of instruction please.
I'm aware that for most of you guys in this room this qustion will seem very 'old hat'. Please accept my apologise!
Many thanks,

Bobser.
Bobser,

You are likely to hear from many here that personal instruction is the best approach. That was not available in my case at the time that I wanted to learn this, and it worked out OK for me. You should ask Slim Price for his notes on this act (then thank him in the [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=85704&forum=23&61]Slim Price's Sideshow Notes[/url] thread). Here are some [url=http://www.memoryelixir.com/photogallery/gallery2.html]pictures[/url] of Dr. Wilson doing it.

I have also sent you a PM.

Yours,

Paul
Adn do a search here at the Café'. This topic has been discussed before.
The thing about glasswalking is the glass is heavy and a pain to carry around! I think this is the main reason you see a lot more fire-eaters and blockheads: the props are light.
Of course, I use a 100 pound bucket of glass in my act. I could probably get away with half as much, but it looks so cool when it gets poured onto my canvas.
People love this act. Take care, take advice to heart, and good luck.
Ask Slim Price/sanscan for his notes on glasswalking, then thank him on Slim Prices' Sideshow Notes. He's a great resource and not to be wasted.

Jennie Price
Is there some kind of gimmick invovled or is it the real deal?
The glass is real. There is no need to do it any other way, but there are a multitude of tips and tricks that need to be learned along the way. As always, you can do it yourself at great expense of time and trouble, or you can stand on the shoulders of those who have already done that for you.

Get the notes.
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (Jun 5, 2005 03:53PM)
Always keep super glue on hand! It works great for sticking toes back on.
Or a variation on Brahma Thread... I thought I taught you better! <G>
Slim

Bobser, I would've thought I'd hear from you by now <G> My E-mail is sanscan@4dcomm.com
Slim
Hi, your wanting to learn glass walking all of a sudden wouldn't have anything to do with Derren Brown's latest stage show would it?
Since Darren started doing the glass walk, and both he and Ian Rowland feature the Blockhead act, there has been a lot of interest in both of these acts.
Heh, how about a firewalk and glasswalk combined? A fireglass walk; sure to amaze any audience and induce pain.
Red Stuart used to do fire and glass walk a lot. He also used to jump into it from the top of a swordladder.
And ...all together now...

"You will get cut!"

I am planning on doing a glass walk (was thinking about a world record, but it's been done and a bit more than I want to attempt) and then next season do a flaming glass walk. Just haven't got the venue yet.

Azrael

Oh - and the record...843.3 m [922 1/2 yd] in one hour
Azrael,

"The glass won't hurt you if you're right with the Lord!"

Yours,

Paul
Guess that's why I'm here and not in the Good News section - LOL

Oh, and someone asked 922 yards is just over a half a mile.

<crunch...crunch...crunch..."OW! Darn!"...crunch>

Azrael
Where and how was the record set? I contacted the Guiness World Record people, and they said they didn't have a catagory for glass walking.
Did the person who set the record have half a mile of glass, or did he walk around a set amount (ie, 10 feet) a bunch of times?
Guiness does not keep records for things like that (to dangerous) - so for that stuff try here:

http://www.recordholders.org/en/members.html
The glass will cut you! I just chopped up 6 Belvedere vodka bottles and got cut hammering them to pieces. Goes to show, glass is the enemy!
Lemme guess, you didn't get the notes?
Haha! Thank you Chance, and you are right...
Slim

Even though I was doing magic before their parents were born, they are the Elite and I am just a "sideshow geek." I sometimes wonder how many shows have been enhanced with my notes.. Just curious!
Slim
I think it's more like how many were ridiculous with out them.

D
Thank you very much, Doug!
Hi slim I am suprised they don't call a female that does this stuff eeka magic.
It’s true that Guinness doesn't keep a record on glass walking. But it has nothing to do with danger (believe me, they keep records on things a lot more dangerous than glass walking). It’s actually due to what Guinness feels is a lack of standardization in the glass and the way in which it is broken. According to them they have considered it but decided against it. However, as was already mentioned my buddy Ralf’s book (The Alternative Book of Records) DOES include it.

Cheers,
-Matt (TK)
Matt,
That's interesting to know...Thanks!~

Sean
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Jul 13, 2005 08:05PM)
Even when broken, make sure to rince the glass off and let it dry off in the sun.

It kind of helps unless you like your glass smelling like that nasty flavored vodka (I get my bottles from my friends after partys.)
FRiends parties sure...

Nothing like the little piggies smelling like citron! Makes me home sick!