(Close Window)
Topic: Searching for a Novelty
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (Jun 12, 2005 09:48PM)
My girlfriend's grandmother had a picture of her husband and her that was taken at a amusement park in the UK many years ago. It was a mini picture that was inside of a magnifier. You have to hold it up to one eye and peep in to see the photo.

I know Disney sells keychains like this but does anyone know how I could get one custom made of me and my girl. She would love it and folks like you are the only ones I could think of that might know.

Thanks for the help.
Message: Posted by: Kevin Connolly (Jun 12, 2005 10:49PM)
They are called stanhopes. I have a couple of Houdini ones from about 1910. I don't know what the newer ones are called, but I know what you're talking about. They are made of plastic, rectangle and the they taper down to one end. I would try Ebay and try make it. OR Take her to Disney World, you're right in town. ;)

Good Luck,
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (Jun 12, 2005 10:59PM)

Disney sells premade ones. Not custom with your own photo. Now that I have a name I will google it. Thanks. I just knew someone on this forum would know.

Check out this great site I found after googling.


Some really neat stuff.
Message: Posted by: Kevin Connolly (Jun 12, 2005 11:13PM)
I know some amusement park sells almost custom ones. They catch as you come in the park and take your photo and then during they day put them in one of these viewers. I don't know if it's Six Flags or maybe Busch Gardens or another one. I do know I've seen them.

I would search under: plastic view/viewer small/tiny hold towards light etc. They're out there....somewhere!

Good Luck,
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (Jun 14, 2005 01:37AM)
Kevin was great with his advice and thanks to google I have been in touch with a lady from the UK that had advice. Any from the States?

Bringing this to the top because it is important to me. My ladies Nanna passed away last week. I would like to give her a peeper of us for our marriage gift.

Obi One Kenobi, you are my only hope.

Message: Posted by: Kevin Connolly (Jun 14, 2005 06:16AM)
How about this? Try calling a few camera/photo stores and see if they can do it. Just a thought for the quick fix.
Message: Posted by: Pele (Jun 15, 2005 04:14PM)
Six Flags does them, or at least all 5 that I have been to.
You can also maybe do a search for novelty photography items.

You might also want to contact Jo Wheldon ( jo@gstringsforever.com I believe) in NYC.
She has somehow been able to have view master reels made of current burlesque stars and wherever she gets those done might know how to do stanhopes as well.

Best of luck to you.
Message: Posted by: Slim Price (Jun 15, 2005 05:29PM)
Pele, post more often! Your Fire make-up tips at Sideshow Central were awesome. Opened up even my rusty mind.
Message: Posted by: Pele (Jun 16, 2005 04:30PM)
Thanks Slim. *blush*

I'll post when I feel I can add something, I promise. I just don't get here much. ;)
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (Jun 16, 2005 05:02PM)
I don't want a cheap plastic key chain. However if Six Flags, which I worked for three years, does offer them then perhaps I could have the film inserted in a classic Stanhope? However I would like it to be black and white.

I will look into it. I have a few connections with six flags. Thank yo Pele, you got me to thinking. It could be easier to contact your friend. Thanks, again.

I just want it to be a pretty gift. She is a classy lady and deserves the best.

Thanks everyone,