(Close Window)
Topic: Mentalist's Business Card
Hi Everyone!
I am in the process of trying to design a new business card. Having been in magic for so many years, it is no longer possible for me to use the same business card when promoting my mentalism show. In addition, I do many mental feats that require the use of a business card. My question is what should I include on my business card besides obvious contact info. Zener symbols, maybe? I feel as though I need to "explain" what a mentalist is or does using a fancy phrase ("sleight of mind", "thoughtreading," "mindreader," etc.) Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. I also plan on incorporating a subtle marking system on the cards to allow me to do a pseudo-psychometry reading.
--Scott
Try mystery entertainer
it fits both magic and mentalism.
A business card should do 3 things:

1) Who you are
2) What you do
3) How they can contact you.

No more... no less....

Keep it simple yet stylish.

If you feel the need to elaborate I would mention the benefits of your performance. What you do is not nearly as important as what the client achives by hiring you.

I feel I should expand on the above but it's very late.... hope you get the idea.

Cheers

Ola
Corinda has a small section on business cards.
An old idea passed to me many yeares ago. I124C4U,printed in bold type. let them ask or figure it out.....
Regards Mark
Keep it simple, and don't use the word mentalist.
Keep it simple, Make sure your name is on it. and Contact info.

It Does NOT have to say what you do :@)
I have 5 business cards and none of them say I am a magician or a mentalist.

In Magic
Steve Dela
Of course it needs to say what you do.

"Hello Mr/Ms/Mrs Prospect. Here is my name & phone number but what I do is a secret and you'll have to work that one out yourself"

At the very least you should tell them that you're an entertainer and/or your business/company name. Assuming that the name of your business tells people what you're about.

When I get home from a show, I empty my pockets of business cards I've collected during the evening. My database would be in trouble if I couldn't tell from the cards what the owners did for a living. How could I possible targed/personalise my mailings?

Trust me on this one. It's a sales tool and needs to be designed accordingly. No need to have a sales tool if the product is not on it.

Take care and happy designing.

Ola
I think you are right Ola and Delia is wrong.

Chris
Thanx Chris. It's not so much about being right or wrong. I'm just putting my two cents in. You have to try it out and see what works. It's great if Steve has success with his cards. Each to his own I suppose. (Isn't that what makes it all so interesting?)

Take care

Ola
Have a completly blank card for that more ambigious abstract appearance.. No details, name or anything...

When they ask "How do I contact you?"

you say in your best Eugene voice.. "You will find a way..."
Thanks Chris for the overwhelmingly straight but ungrounded and unprofessional comment and for getting my name wrong.
But yeah I have a lot of success with my magic, it is clear form my card what I do, but I am sorry it does not say what I do. I take it you are not very creative if you found it hard to read between the lines?

Not about right or wrong, I was just saying, no it doesn't need to say what you do...do I have proof of this? Yes I am busy with magic.

No offence intended to anyone before it gets reported.
I was stating fact and not opinion.

Steve Dela
(I do Magic)
I agree with Steve Dela
me card just have my name,mail,website and phone number

the picture is the rest of the card. And my card is allways given out with trick.
And if they have a hard time trying to find out what I do, they should look at the picture again.

Me poit is that the picture can say more than a little " I am a magician"

thanks
If you like Kentonism, you know what you have to do. Kentonism doesn't suit everybody, but for those who suits the style, it does good wonders.
You can always consider having an image or design on the front that leaves a convenient blank space for writing for a peek. You can work that orientation into wallets and envelopes.

I also corner round my cards with a store bought corner rounder. This way they are comfortable to handle and the sharp points don't tend to snag in cases and wallets when you REALLY don't want them to hang up!
Tom

Would you know where to buy these corner rounders in the UK ?

Thanks

Terry
I thought it was obvious that when I said that "the card needs to say what you do" it didn't mean that you had to SPELL what you do.
If you have a photo, graphic, business name that sends the message home about what you do... problem solved. To me... that's a card that "says what I do"

Regards

Ola
I don't have business cards yet (not for magic anyway) but will be looking into getting some when I make the step from a hobbyist to a performer.
It sounds to me that Ola and Steve are both correct and saying the same thing. As long as it is simple, has your name and contact details and the person you give it to can see what you do then that is all that is needed. Whether you use pictures or words is not so important, whatever suits your taste.
I do like Tom's suggestion of leaving a convenient blank, that could come in very handy.
[quote]
On 2005-06-23 12:52, durhamkid wrote:
Tom

Would you know where to buy these corner rounders in the UK ?

Thanks

Terry
[/quote]

Terry, I use large nail clippers.
Here in Australia the new "standard" is to have rounded corners. If you ask your printer he can probably do them for you.
Have it in invisble ink and use a covrt heat device to make the writing appear
Hi Scott,

Business cards are a very individual thing depending on how you do your marketing to receive bookings. My 2 cents worth... the main thing to consider about the business card is the colour and quality of printing as the purpose of the card is to give you a professional image and to SELL you subtly. Research some of the better 'sales' colours and 'image' colours. The card should sell YOU and the fact that you are an entertaining person and unique character rather than trying to sell the 'magic' or 'mentalism' you do. That way when you are compared to others they will have to have YOU, the special and memorable character. If you design the card right, you can plant a suggestion of professionalism and 'well known entertainer' in the mind of the prospect.

If you intend to only give these out when performing you don't need to state what you do however if you need to send them out with a promo pack I would have a quick reference as to what it is you do. Lay people understand phrases like 'professional corporate entertainment' not 'mentalism and psychokinteic feats'. Also it is not as important what you say on the card as how proessional the card SUGGESTS you are just through the quality of the printing, design and card itself. One of the top Australian Pros (seriously awesome entertainer) calls himself a 'Props comedian' because he believes this has more credibility in our country than 'magician'. In the end its for you to explore and find what goes with your character.

Cheers,
Al