(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite Mentalism Effect
I'm trying to guage what people's favorite mentalism effects are - notably for close-up. (ie not with dodgy gimmicks which plants questions in peoples mind as to why you are using them)

:kermit:

Mine is the invisible deck, and the use of a one-way forcing deck like on Derren Brown's Devilish Deception vid.
My favorite impromptu routines are the CT and "Brainwave Chain". The latter is done with a tiny brainwave deck, which is attached to my key-chain. A compbination of the two tricks are ideal for "table-hopping" or one-to-one-situations in a newspaper office for example.

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

TED LESLEY
If "no-cards" mentalism, the CT is certainly the best tool. Try "Geometear" from Water's MMM.
If cards are acceptable, try "Triple Prediction" (100% impromptu, cards in spectator's hands). And conclude this one with a Cartomancy Reading, which transforms what could be seen as a cool card trick into a "real mentalism" piece...
Booktests.
[quote]

My favorite impromptu routines are the CT and "Brainwave Chain". The latter is done with a tiny brainwave deck, which is attached to my key-chain.[/quote]

Please Ted, can you say a little more to the "Brainwave Chain"? Is this only a very small brainwave deck? How is the handling of such a small deck?
Manfredo
Hello Manfredo,
Yes, this is a small "Barainwave-Deck" made up exactly like Joe Berg`s "ULTRA-MENTAL-DECK". The handling is easy, the cards are held by the thumb and the first finger of the left hand. Thumb and forefinger of the right hand fan and spread the cards and do the "secret something", what its secret is is I have forgotten :rotf:

If you want more about this deck, let me know by private mail please.

ESPecially

TED Lesley
Sorry to be such an amateur,

What is CT? (Thanks again for your book, Paramiracles, Mr. Lesley!)
CT = Centre Tear
If you have a couple for whom you are performing, Mark Strivings markets a very nice effect called "Warm Fuzzies Up Close". It is a compatability test for the couple and, in my experience, gets a very good reaction.

It uses business cards and stones, all supplied.

Best regards,
Tony Razzano
If I'm having dinner with my friends I really enjoy bending silverware, though I've read in other posts how that's overdone these days. I also like Contimental by Max Maven, which I've memorized, because it requires virtually no set-up, and usually leaves quite an impression. Also, I like Gregory Wilson's take on the old ashes trick with lipstick, and thumbtip tricks too.

:bigdance:

OT: Where do you guys like to practice your stuff? Believe it or not, I've found that strip clubs offer great environments, because of the number of different personalities available that come up to you, and it's a good way to practice your patter(I usually get a dance first then ask them if they have time to help me with an "exercise"). Plus it's better conversation than the standard "Where are you from? Have you danced here long? Is your real name Mustang?" and so forth that they hear all day long.

And hey, naked girls...
I practice in front of the mirror. It affords me a 100% hit rate as I usually know what I'm thinking.

Charles :stout:
My favorites:
1) CARDS: Harry Anderson's CHILDREN'S YARD SALE from MAGICK.
2) NO CARDS: PHANTOM ARTIST from PME &/or The Jinx
Reversal in P.S by Steve Banachek. This trick is an "improvement" or variation to an old principle which really kills. Don't miss it and do try it out. :rotf:
Do as I Did- Ortiz
One of my favourite mentalism effects is Penonmenen. Easy setup and works perfectly for me all the time. :coolspot:
Cards? Favorite? Naaaa...
Maybe to use cards here and there in a show - but to call a cards-mental magic favorite??? I wouldn't go that far.

The best piece I do, EVERYWHERE is the confabulation. Nothing else matters. I carry my special (card to)-wallet with me anytime just for this cause. LOVVVVVE IT!

Ehud Segev.
[quote]
On 2002-10-21 20:15, Paradox wrote:
1) CARDS: Harry Anderson's CHILDREN'S YARD SALE from MAGICK.
[/quote]

Actually, that's [i]Leslie[/i] Anderson's, not Harry's (IIRC, Leslie is Harry's wife).

--Andy
My first choice would be billet work. I prefer to use a peek rather than a tear, but either can be wonderful. I highly recommend Millard Longmans Acidus Novus.

Stan
In the impromptu department:

Using the "power of my mind" to move something, such as a fork on the tabletop. Presented properly, even a small movement gets a huge reaction. Use a Loop.

Anoher favorite: The John Kennedy/Tim Conover Mind Power Deck (I constructed my own version with Bicycle cards) or an Osterlind-stacked deck for straight mind-reading.

Jerry
Has everyone forgotten Kollosal Killer?
(shuffle this invisible deck and pick out any card that you want.....open the box first.....)
It just has to be my favourite closely followed by the Full Monte ( Ahead of the pack).

and yes some people still dont know Grey Elephant from Denmark
( or Yellow Zebra from Africa )
Wayman,

Does Yellow Zebra from Africa work the same way as Gray Elephant?
Yes, you just have to rearrange the maths and order your questions differently.

I use it if as a follow up if some-one asks can I do that again.
I have one effect that is so simple, but you just have to do it to see. In my wallet is a queen of hearts. Nothing else. I ask the spectator to clear their mind, then close their eyes and imagine a deck of cards lying on a table in front of them face down. They take out one card: what was it?
If they state anything else, I advise them that it's just a simple experiment to see how easy it is to clear the mind and focus on one object. I don't even mention anything else about the card in my wallet. If, however, they state "queen of hearts", then I tell them that I had thinking of a single card myself. I was trying to send that thought to them. I act as though I'll let it go at that, then take out my wallet and show them that the Q of H is the only card in my wallet.
Gets a great response everytime it's right, sets me up for other things when it isn't.
Rick
I have to agree with Tony--one of my all-time favorites as well is Mark Strivings' Warm & Fuzzies...it ruuules. Mark also has another one with a pseudo-hypnotism theme that is great, I believe it's "Hypno-voque".

I'd have to say the rest of my favourites are primarily made-up of Larry Becker effects...too many & too hard to choose.

Brandon
NO-cards: Bending spoon or CT.
Cards: Invisible Deck
Effects or methods? A nail writer and a bit equivoque create limitless possibilities for seeming direct mindreading. I think the inclusion of such thing as cards tends to detract from the art. Of course presentation is everything. One of favorite routines by "Max Maven" was for a beach party using jumbo cards. Everyone in the party got an envelope with a Jumbo card and it created a lot of fun by having the audience "suffle" and "cut" themselves as Max did with his deck...He ended by mixing into the crowd to find a selection.
tough one!

PK in the form of Yigal Mesika's is what seems to me to get the most visual, memorable response, however...

any test you do where something is thought of and revealed whithout the focus put on the writing...i could go into much detail, here, but I won't

Don Marco
Anything using my S.U.C. or my Thought Transmitter :bg:

:bat:
Most impromptu:
I have great success with Voodoo Blister by Tony Andruzzi. I turn away for the creation of the blister on their chosen finger, and obtain a peek throughout. Some have offered to get me a Doctor, but, well, it just doesn't last...
Wasn't this blister effect originated by Jack Tillar? It's under his name in Tarbell.
Hi:
Vodoo Blister presented by Tony in Bizarre Video,was a creation by Micro -J. White-you can find Micro's Blister in Invocation.

Pax Vobiscum
Theologian :comply:
Re the Blister:
See Tarbell Vol 6, "JACK TILLAR'S BLISTER", p 379, copyright date 1972
Compare with INVOCATION Vol 1 No. 1: July 1974. INVOCATION didn't start publication till 2 years AFTER Tarbell #6 came out.,so whenever Joe White published his handling of the blister effect, it HAD to be after 1974. My file of INVOCATION is incomplete, so I can't give you the exact date of Joe's handling.
[quote]On May 27, 2014, jcss wrote:
Many in the Colin mcleod videos [/quote]

Agreed! Anything from Colin & probably his Bookless Book Test from opening minds...excellent!
I have been trying to acquire this for the last seven years. My understanding is that this is ultra rare and no longer marketed. Is this accurate?

Regards,
Mike

[quote]On May 28, 2014, Slim King wrote:
Hard Copy Thought Broadcast by Callahan. :swordbasket: [/quote]
[quote]On Nov 1, 2002, rickmagic1 wrote:
I have one effect that is so simple, but you just have to do it to see. In my wallet is a queen of hearts. Nothing else. I ask the spectator to clear their mind, then close their eyes and imagine a deck of cards lying on a table in front of them face down. They take out one card: what was it?
If they state anything else, I advise them that it's just a simple experiment to see how easy it is to clear the mind and focus on one object. I don't even mention anything else about the card in my wallet. If, however, they state "queen of hearts", then I tell them that I had thinking of a single card myself. I was trying to send that thought to them. I act as though I'll let it go at that, then take out my wallet and show them that the Q of H is the only card in my wallet.
Gets a great response everytime it's right, sets me up for other things when it isn't.
Rick [/quote]

Place deck on table and ask spec. to name a card.
If he names queen of hearts, spread deck on table face-up and queen is gone...
If spec. names any other card...use the deck to show them your best mental effect with cards.
In asking the spectator to think of one card, there are several things you can say (that will only register subconsciously) which will bring your hit rate to well over 90% in them naming the Queen of Hearts.
My favourite impromptu effects:

With no cards: Mind reading with a little "billet-work move" (Original idea in "Principia Mentalia" - Principium 2 Third effect by Bob Cassidy)or math effects;

With cards: OOTW

Alex
What a fascinating thread. It's come back to life after a 12-year nap. What's interesting to see is what was named a dozen years ago versus what gets named now...gives you a great look at what has changed in that time, and what hasn't. I'd love to hear what (or who) everyone thinks is the biggest game changer that has come along during the years between these posts. Thoughts?
Nothing much has changed as far as I can tell. I see a lot of recycled ideas - not necessarily a bad thing (a great presentation is worth it's weight in gold) - but I am yet to see some new ground breaking technique that is not just a variation on an idea.

In response, one of my fav routines at the moment is Nod to Pocketwatch followed closely by A Rose By Any Other Name.
Nothing much has changed as far as I can tell. I see a lot of recycled ideas - not necessarily a bad thing (a great presentation is worth it's weight in gold) - but I am yet to see some new ground breaking technique that is not just a variation on an idea.

In response, one of my fav routines at the moment is Nod to Pocketwatch followed closely by A Rose By Any Other Name.
Jazzing with a marked mem deck.
Cloud melting & Star Readings

A bit of AN thrown in there too

Kind regards
Art
If I don't have anything with me, then my favorite mentalism effect to perform is White Room by Ran Pink. If I have cards, then I perform The Crusade by Atlas Bookings. There are so many great mentalism effects available today that it's hard to choose!
If I don't have anything with me, then my favorite mentalism effect to perform is White Room by Ran Pink. If I have cards, then I perform The Crusade by Atlas Bookings. There are so many great mentalism effects available today that it's hard to choose!
The daily double.
These "what's your favorite" threads really don't make any sense to me. The effects I favor are those that suit my persona and claimed abilities and Not at all meaning to be harsh,I really don't care what other performers favorites are since it's really a matter of personal preference.

Different strokes for different folks.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Jul 20, 2014 12:40AM)
[quote]On Jun 3, 2014, insight wrote:
I have been trying to acquire this for the last seven years. My understanding is that this is ultra rare and no longer marketed. Is this accurate?

Regards,
Mike

[quote]On May 28, 2014, Slim King wrote:
Hard Copy Thought Broadcast by Callahan. :swordbasket: [/quote] [/quote]

I was just watching this last night. Great routine. It is on the 'SOMETHING' DVD.

Ray
My favorite mentalism effect is reading someone's mind.

Presented properly, it is irrelevant which effect you choose. Some of the simplest are the most devastating.

At the risk of repeating myself, it's not what you do but how you do it.

For the most part 'Holy Grails' and the 'Latest and Greatest' are irrelevant. Annemann and Corinda's and Nelson's material, decades later, still
blow people's mind.

It what the audience sees and experiences, not how we got there.

Best wishes,

Scott
p.s. A lot of stuff comes up here about exposure. You know what? Take the old stuff, layer it and no one can back track what you did.
Done well, the only logical outcome is that at least there is the possibility that what you're doing is authentic, regardless of how you brand yourself (psychic, NLP, body language, whatever).
I think Bob and Scott have summarized this thread quite well and following on to Bob's thoughts, all similar threads as well.
I always feel like the closer that you can get to real mimfreadimg the better. Also making it as simple as possible is much better than having tonnes of props etc.
Congratulations. You hit fifty.