(Close Window)
Topic: Safe to iron silks is it?
Message: Posted by: Master of Deception (Jul 23, 2005 09:36AM)
I have a trick where you need to crumple up a silk handkercheif and then turn it into a rose head.

It needs to have the creases to be removed.

So I wanna know, Is it safe to iron silk without destroying it?
Use low temperature and you will not have any trouble. However, try lying it flat or folded in a zip loc bag with the air burbed out. If you wet the silk and put it on a mirror or glass surface, it will dry and fall off without the wrinkles.

Richard
You can also try to "steam press" the silks. It's like the one used by Laundry shops.

Sal
Be careful with the steam press on printed silks. It could cause the dyes to run.

Richard
I use the mirror technique as Richard describes and it works great. Richard you rule when it comes to silks and feather flower magic.
I use a regular iron on its lowest temperature setting with minimal steam. It makes the silk come out smooth without causing the dye to run.
[quote]
On 2005-07-23 12:12, hugmagic wrote:
If you wet the silk and put it on a mirror or glass surface, it will dry and fall off without the wrinkles.

Richard
[/quote]

THIS WORKS GREAT!!!
How simple. How elegant. How easy.

Someone please email Richard a Beer for me!!!
If you ever saw what silks go through before they get to market, you would never fear ironing silks. Look at the new 2mm flat hems. (Yes, actually "flat" is different from simply "sewn down" to just pucker later. And they are square!)

Art silks and some printed silks are a different story depending on the processes used to put the images and colors onto or into (both are possible) the silks. The problem is not the silk!

There is a big difference in steaming a silk and ironing a wet silk. A wet silk may stick to the iron. That can cause a whole set of new problems. Likewise, any process that will snag or puncture a silk isn't recommended.

I've been in the import business since 1969. Magicians' silks are something I import and have used for forty-four years.

[b]Never have I lost a silk to ironing![/b]

(We often joke that the greatest threats to silk are magic and magicians. Try to avoid poking them in the center. It seldom tears the silk but it will separate the weave.)

Enjoy your silk magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
When ever I get new silks (like yesterday) I iron them asap. But there are still traces of the creases. Any ideas how to get them out (aside from time).

Derek Merdinyan
We carry a little portable steamer on the road with us. You live in a damp environment too. Just hanging might work.

Even ironed in creases will usually iron right out with a hot iron.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Wetting the silk and putting on the glass will work. Don't mix colors when you do it.

Richard
I iron my silk shirts, why not a silk silk? Due to ignorance, if nothing else, I have ironed silks ever since I began using them about 20 years ago without a problem. Yes, occasionally a stubborn crease remains, and can be removed via Richard's glass method (but then you have more things to clean ... your windows and mirrors!), but for the most part simply use a standard iron at medium to low heat.
When using the mirror or glass trick, does one have the mirror/glass horizontal, or does one "stick" the wet silk to a vertical mirror/glass?

Sorry for sounding so dim!
Either way will work. I usually like it vertical so the water runs out faster.

Richard
[quote]
On 2005-08-10 15:10, Foucault wrote:
When using the mirror or glass trick, does one have the mirror/glass horizontal, or does one "stick" the wet silk to a vertical mirror/glass?

Sorry for sounding so dim!
[/quote]

That certainly is not a dumb question! The real bottom line is use what is available.

I have used counter tops, large windows, shower stall walls, shower doors, and bathtubs. I don't recommend these other surfaces because they are frequently dirty, soapy, poorly ventilated, etc. But they will work horizontally or vertically. What you are seeking is dry, flat, smooth, clean, safe, and a place where a falling silk can fall to safety.

Mirrors are simply larger and cleaner than most available surfaces. Often they are not large enough for your “wash day”. Then you’ll need Plan B.

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Thanks for the clarification, guys! Rest assured, at this stage, my "wash day" is not huge!
[quote]
On 2005-08-10 23:05, Foucault wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, guys! Rest assured, at this stage, my "wash day" is not huge!
[/quote]

Nobody has too many silks until it is time to wash them!

Enjoy your silk magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Hi!

Yes it is safe to iron silks, but it is even safer to avoid ironing:) I learned from McBride`s DVD on stage magic that if you gently tie silks onto a magician rope and keep them hanging there they shall not wrinkle. This works for me:)

Regards
Wash in Woolite and steam iron. Put the iron on the silk setting. The wrinkles or creases will disappear like real magic. Don't forget to apply pressure while ironing and keep the iron moving.
I gotta hand it to Richard... Wetting silk and sticking it to a mirror makes the wrinkles just go away.

btw: what's an iron? :goof:
I don't want to go and buy a sheet of glass to lay the wet silks on. I don't have enough window space in my small apartment to hold all the silks. As for mirrors, I only have one small mirror in the bath room and I can't see my self if I stick a silk on it. Plus, it will not hold a 18" silk.

So I steam iron.

If I had a mirror, won't your wife make you clean the mirror! Extra work, not for me! :)
A number of years ago, I had read somewhere (perhaps it was in the Rice books) not to wash silks in Woolite because it puts an undesireable film/coating on them. I'm kind of sketchy on the details, but the advice got my attention because I previously had always washed my silks in woolite.

Can someone confirm if this advice is good or not?

Ron
I iron silks on a lower heat setting and I usually don't use any steam at all. I got water on some of my silks and it left spots that will not come out. Has anyone else this problem?

Regan
Regan,

Often the water spots will come out if you will wash them again in Woolite or baby shampoo, rinse them out well and dry them on a piece of glass or a mirror. Sometimes it is the water itself that makes the ring.

Hang in there!

Bob
Hey, thanks Bob!

I had concluded that the water was the culprit. I am always reluctant to use steam or wash them because of the few that got those stubborn stains.

Hope you had a good trip!

Regan
You can also use a small piece of Muslin (a fabric used in sewing) to place between your iron and the silk. This will allow you to increase the heat of the iron a bit and still protect the silk. Available really inexpensively at any fabric store.
If you are in a pinch or need to get the wrinkles out quickly, try using a blow dryer while the silks are on the mirror. I'm amazed at how quickly they dry.
Here's another tip, if anyone has this problem. To avoid any static in the silks after ironing them, I spray the silks with a light mist of water/ liquid Downy. This does not harm them and keeps them from have that static cling from the iron.

John
Mirror? Wouldn't a outside glass work better with the sun? No?
The problem with washing silks for the first time is that it loses its crisp and shine. It no longer looks like a brand new silk. It also becomes soft. Is there anything one can do to restore its crisp and shine? Have you tried spraying it with starch or something?
Another tip let the silks cool before stuffing them into a prop. Silk is hallow and holds the heat for awhile. If you load them while they are warm they will become wrinkled. I have been wetting and hanging mine on glass for years. Not sure where I first heard of that, I think from Ginn.