(Close Window)
Topic: marvey card
Can anyone tell me where to find or how Peter marvey does his open-hand productions?
I guess it depends on whether you're talking about his "open" fingers, or his no bs "fingers as wide as he can get them" open-hand productions.
Message: Posted by: Hengky Ciptanegara (Oct 24, 2002 12:22PM)
Gryphon,

I thought that everyone in this board doesn't know what technique or gimmick that Peter used when he produce the card while he could showed his fingers wide apart.

He have fooled a lot of magician with that effect. No wonder he become FISM Champion.

I'm really sure that he did not use his "manipulation card" when he openly showed his finger apart before he produce the cards.

Hengky
Corrects me if I am wrong,
But he didn't use his manip cards at all in his routine.
I saw red bees
I dont blame him not using [b]his own cards[/b] they are garbage. :kermit:
They looked like Bee cards to me also.
He uses a special gimmick.
I have made my own method of the open finger productions, its quite angley but it goes the trick!
:sun: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
can you PM me any specifics Kev or are you taking it to your grave :)

not out to get free moves from you, but I'd love to hear more about it.
I know of a card production that allows open fingers shown without gimmicked cards. It's in one of Lewis Ganson's Routine Maniputlation books. I'll look it up and get back to you.
Jim in LA
Does nobody in this forum knows what technique Marvey uses for "the fingers as wide as he can get them" open-hand productions?
Does he uses a gimmick or not?
If you watch his WGM III performance and slow it down to frame by frame you can see him releasing the gimmick he used along with the final card he produced.
Paulie,
Good eyes. It's a kind of card catcher, but it's one he must have made for himself, because nothing like it is on the market to the best of my knowledge. I'm hoping he puts it on the market himself one of these days.

Sable
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Sable,
How many different types of card catchers are out there. I have never used one before so I don't really even know how they work. Could you please explain. I also have seen automatic card fan productions, does this gimmick work the sdame way?

Paulie
The thing to expect if Marvey puts something like this on the market is an inflated price. Just check out is levitation boots or his card through window. In my opinion everything attached to the Marvey name seems to be overpriced.
I agree, this is would be very expensive. I made a gimmick like this. It works really well. it's made out of a ring, popcicle stick and about 6 cards. I don't think he is that great. He just won because of his little gimmick. As far as his routine goes i thought it was put together really bad. There, is also a lot of things the Laymen crowd knows how it is down. The card castle save him in my veiw. :firedevil:
I'll gladly talk with any dedicated card manipulators about the catcher, or anything else in a PM, but I can't say any more on the open forum. :)

Sable
In my opinion card catchers are not worth it. I tried using them for a while but I find that when you use them your hand motions are not allowed to be as smooth and gracefull, which in my opinion, is a VERY important part of productions.

-Just a thought

Jon :bluebikes:
I saw Marvey few years back and his manipulation act was far better in live than on tv. And he didnīt won FISM! He was second! There was no first price. I asked him about his gimmick but he denied its excistance and changed subject.
I guess I can't blame him. If I had a secret like that, I'd keep it to myself as well. :bg:

Sable
Where can I buy a card catcher?
WizzBE-
card catchers are great for stage but if you want to do clean card productions take the time to learn the sleights
It is not published and not available
Message: Posted by: Hengky Ciptanegara (Dec 16, 2002 10:07PM)
Eventhough he did not come at 1st place at FISM I still he is the greatest manipulation.

Compare to Jeff McBride, I prefe choose Peter with his "open widely finger card production" which fool almost knowledge magician and laymen.

I DOUBT anyone who said that he know or saw what gimmick that Peter used... ;)

Hengky
I am creating a whole new manipulation act where I use clean manipulation sleights but I want to learn the principle after a card catcher maybe that it can add something extra to my act. :coolspot:
There is one person that knows how to make such gimmick. It is "Kardini" and he is from Brazil. ;)
Message: Posted by: Hengky Ciptanegara (Dec 18, 2002 11:43PM)
Huh....

If someone knows how to make the gimmick like Peter's, he must be Peter himself.

If Kardini really-really could make that gimmick, why he did not win any manipulation competion like FISM ... :lol:

Like I said before, I very DOUBT that anyone else know what gimmick that Peter used.
Peter has proved to us that he could even fooled the judge.

Everyone just make a comment that Peter used some sort of hold out, etc... that all nonsense. Hold out just could be used when we wear a long shirt (correct me if I'm wrong).

Hengky
I agree with Hengky. :righton:

But is it that difficult to create a card catcher because it's very hard to find one in a magic shop?

Can anyone explain me the principle behind a card catcher or PM me? :confused:
Hengky, no offense.. but you are completely mistaken. Just because Peter Marvey fooled TV audiences on WGM it doesn't mean that he fooled magicians. When I first saw him do that on WGM I knew exactly how it was done. It was very cool, and I thought it was a great addition, but it didn't fool me. For all you know, the judge at FISM might not have been fooled. Why do I know this? Because, here's an example:

In no way am I at all discrediting Johnny Ace Palmer. He is one of the greatest magicians of our time. But I don't think the judge was actually fooled by his silk going into another silk routine. But guess what? He won FISM, 1st place at IBM and SAM! He's got an incredible act.

Second to note. The reason Kardini did not win FISM, with the same card catcher is not because he can't actually do it, but the judges probably didn't think he was the best candidate for 1st place. Also, it wasn't just Marvey's little "catcher" that made his whole act. His manip. act is great along with the multiplying drinks and everything. When I was at IBM in San Diego I saw my friend Jason Latimer do the exact same thing followed by the next act where both in their card manip. acts spread out their fingers and then produce a card from Ba****lm But that didn't make their whole act. They didn't win.

I hope I wasn't harsh at all. I am just tired of always hearing people say "I don't think that you can really do that because if you could you would win FISM like he did" I hear it all too often.

Thanks
Marvey uses a number of different techniques for card productions. The catcher, a modified ba***alm(think of variations), regular ba***alm, tenkai, and jumbo productions (similar to method on McBride's Card Manipulation tape 3). I don't know this for sure but have studied his routine at great length. Also I think he uses a thin manipulation card not Bees. Lots of good misdirection and some black art help.
Great card act with the best finale I've ever seen, a little long though IMHO.

Joe
Does he uses the catcher method for opening his fingers very wide or does he use a gimmick as several people in this forum suggest?
I know all the other productions/moves but in which book or video can I find the catcher method or is it a new method of marvey himself?

WizzBE
In fact he does spread his fingers completely.

I hope this anwers your question.

Regards
Read my other post please, it is not published and not available.Remember, this is here and we should not expose
Message: Posted by: Hengky Ciptanegara (Dec 20, 2002 10:53AM)
Ben,

I did not mean to offense anyone. In my experience in magic I meet a lot of people who could just talking big.
They said that they know, how the trick is done but actually they do NOT know anything.
They just do this to get an attention from others. :hmm:

So, that's why, I did not trust easily someone who know the big secret magic like Peter's routine.
Why we should have to lie something that we don't know...

Hengky
I agree with Hengky Ciptanegara
I agree as well Hengky, but Ben and I are both well aware of the method, and I for one, even spoke to you in pm's about it. So why is this still a question? Too be honest (and I am not in any way belittling Peter's routine), but it is not [i]that[/i] big a secret, (as far as manipulators are concerned).

Sable