(Close Window)
Topic: TV Illusions?
Which magician and/or illusionist do you think created and performed the best illusions on tv, not using trick photography or camera tricks or edits?

What was the illusion called?
Wow, now there's a subjective question if I ever saw one. I'm not sure that I could personally pick out one particular performer, let alone a specific illusion, but if I had to I would probably go with anything performed by Lance Burton. He is a class act through and through, and I genuinly enjoyed watching the specials he had on TV a few years back.

Nick Fox
I think David Copperfield and Doug Henning-hands down-it's not just the magic they did-it's the way they did it. It's all about performing.
The one area I like to use is if the performer can duplicate in a live situation the effect and illicit the reaction that you witness on the t.v. show. But real, true reactions!!

As three examples, the standing ovation I witnessed at a live show for Copperfields' Flying, the emotional impact, and the standing ovation for the Snowstorm. Legitimate reactions not pulled. And my last one was his jungle version of the water suspension with the surrounding effects on stage which impressed me as an effect, I had seen Doug do the original live also.

So why I would say these were great t.v. effects is that they came across well on t.v., and then to see them with the same appeal live.

Just my thoughts!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
I thing that Copperfields flying is the best illusion,grat idea,great background design, its perfect.
Copperfield and Henning have done much better TV shows than what we are currently seeing. That of course is just my opinion. Copperfield has too many to name. And as far as street magic remember the reactions when he removed the top half of his body? People ran away in fear. And I remember seeing a show, back in the day, of Richiardi doing the buzz saw. Wow that something to see.

There have been so many great illusions done on TV that are done on stage in front of audiences. Why are we now seeing so many shows using camera cuts and edits? And now Magicians are justifying them in Magic magazine articles. If camera and edit tricks are acceptable then I guess the world really doesn't need Magicians then. Hollywood can put out much better special effects shows than any Magician could.
Mark Wilson has done more illusions on TV than anyone. His weekly TV show back in the 60's that ran for 5 years, required him to have new illusions every week, add to that his Magic Circus specials, plus personal appearances on other shows, his technical advisor status and performer status on the Magician series, plus his years with Time for Magic back in Dallas, the syndicated Magic Circus between Time for Magic and Magic Land of Alakazam, Plus trade shows, His Las Vegas Show, Theme parks, etc. Nobody has ever done more illusions, and definitely nobody has ever done more different illusions on Television than Mark. (Nani has been vanished, produced, chopped, sawn, levitated, suspended, and penetrated more than any woman in the history of magic).
Mark did all of his illusions well and actually gave the start to a couple of the top illusion builders who were his original illusion creators. I'm sure his warehouse where they are all stored would seem like the disneyland of illusion collections.
One of the advantages of TV over live audience is that you can see many angles of the performance including close ups so to appreciate the performerīs gestures. In a live show things happens os fast that more often than not you miss them!

Itīs hard to pinpoint only one effect on TV, but one favorite is the Dekolta Chair DC did on one of his specials. It was so crisp and perfect! And when Doug Henning did Zig-Zag that was awesome because back then it was so new.
As for TV-only illusions, Franz Harary has some serious credit to his name. He has created, designed and performed some of the most asthetically beautiful illusions. Between vanishing/moving Hiltonhead and making a space shuttle vanish, the man's got some great ideas.
Applying here too, is the factor that you have full control over angles and exactly what people see when you work on TV. The best things, IMO, are be able to be performed in front of a real audience too, though.
Another I liked a lot was the Blue Room performed by Lance Burton on The Hidden Secrets of Magic
Another I liked a lot was the Blue Room performed by Lance Burton on The Hidden Secrets of Magic
I agree, The Blue Room is a gorgeous illusion, however it is not by Lance Burton. I believe it was a collaboration of Steinmeyer and, I believe, Mike Caveney/Tina Lenert. The illusion itself is quite old, but the principle was recently uncovered and the illusion brought back to life for the LA Magic History Conference. It is basically a variation of the Pepper's Ghost principle.
Well, a drastically more complex and expensive variation if I say so myself. But, I would have to agree that it is indeed a beautiful illusion. The one thing that I really liked about it was the touching story that they told with it. I don't know about you but that story drew me in.

Nick Fox
Lance Burton never performed it on that show.Fantastic illusion though.Love to see it live!
Well, I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification. Beautiful illusion, we agree on that.