(Close Window)
Topic: Where do you buy magic? Why?
I'm relatively new to the magic community. I've been looking around at different websites that sell magic items and there are so many of them I don't know how to choose which one to give my hard earned money to. I have noticed that many websites only sell dvds and such, but I'm more in the market for books. which websites do you buy from and why?
I usually buy from http://www.penguinmagic.com. They have a decent selection and demo videos of most of their tricks so you can see the effect before you buy it. The prices are also very good, and there is free shipping on all orders too!

-Shalin

:bikes:
Shalin,
Welcome to the forums.

Prepare for a sh**storm, however, from folks who don't like penguin.
I personally mostly only shop from my local magic shop. But if I do get things off the internet I go through either Hocus-Pocus.com or Hank Lee's Magic factory. I wont use pengiun for the fact that they steal peoples work and try to remarket it as their own.
Message: Posted by: Daniel J. Ferrara Jr. (Jul 31, 2005 09:44AM)
http://www.5FingerMagic.com
http://www.DaytonaMagic.com
http://www.MagicTricks.com
I support brick and mortar shops. One of my favorites is Denny Haney's in Baltimore. He can be found on the web at: http://www/dennymagic.com

Jim
Ebay is very good to buy used effects or books.

Another good site with good prices is http://www.magicproshop.com (I have very good experiences with them, ordered from them 3 times).

Magixx
I like the easy relaxing interent shopping from my laptop. I can do my research and then purchase my selection with a few clicks in the comfort of my home. So, it's no surprise that I buy my magic usually from: mjmmagic, penguinmagic, themagicwarehouse, L&L publishing, wizardcraft, madhatter, Meir Yedid Magic, and directly from the website of my favorite magicians.
Lybrary.com is great if you don't mind your books in electronic format - you can pick up some excellent classics for next to nothing..
I'm not in to using ebay to often... I haven't had a good experience with them.
Message: Posted by: THEGREATSMILLINNI (Jul 31, 2005 03:48PM)
Hi Guys & Gals
Does anyone know where I can purchase John Carneys Book Of Secrets...all
of my sources say it is out of Print
Best Reguards To You All

Bob S.
I don't buy from a single source, however all of my purchases are online...
I have purchased from: Hocus-Pocus, MyMagic.com (Meir Yedid magic), Magic-Notes.com, Ellusionist and Penguin. I also purchase materials directly from the source if available.

On occasion I purchase material from eBay as well.
I am also a huge supporter of brick and mortar shops! There are many out there that are struggling to stay open because of cheap impersonal magic sites. There are some already listed and more to come I'm sure on this thread.

I personally worked in a magic shop for 2 years and just got layed off because they had to close. The main reason, people were complaining that they could buy the same effects online a little bit cheaper. Well good luck getting sound personal advise online! Even if you buy online from real stores, you're still helping.

I now work in the meat department of a grocery store part-time between shows. Woo Hoo!!

The moral of this story? Don't make magicians work in meat departments.

Cheers,

Cameron Fisk
Penguin Magic - well, I did used to purchase my magic from that magic dealer, as their prices are always cheap, they have a demo vid for almost each product they sell, they offer free instructional videos with almost each product you purchase, as well as, what they call, Penguins Only private forums that only people that purchased the product in regards have access to, for the purpose to discuss the product they have purchased. However, I am truly being honest, I have eliminated my business with Penguin Magic, just a few months ago, for the reason already mentioned above. Their message boards are full of thirteen year olds that do nothing but insult other people and make pointless posts, and not only - not only their message boards, but they are unethical to the art. They sell products (Magic Makers) that are knock-offs of other magicians, they sell another magicians' magic that they have no permision of selling in the first place, and yes, indeed, as already mentioned, they sell someone else's creation and claim it to be their own; I.e. Michael Skinner's 3CM has changed to [i]The Penguin Monte[/i].

The thread subject is not for this magic dealer, but I did have the need to spit it all out and exlain the reason as to why I don't purchase my magic anymore from that magic dealer. I have respect for the art, and if a magic dealer does not, then they shall have nothing to do with my internet screen name.

Unfortunately, we have no magic shops in my area and I HAVE to purchase from online. I have tried a lot of magic dealers, but there are a few that I shop frequently from. Those are: L&L, The Magic Warehouse, Magic Box, and Magic Pro Shop. I purchased a couple times from the Ellusionist website, but I find that dealer way too overpriced, especially on shipping costs.

Mike.
I buy a good majority of magic at Hank Lee's (www.magicfact.com), considering that I'm a native Bostonian.

-Eric D.
[quote]
On 2005-07-31 16:48, THEGREATSMILLINNI wrote:
Hi Guys & Gals
Does anyone know where I can purchase John Carneys Book Of Secrets...all
of my sources say it is out of Print
Best Reguards To You All

Bob S.
[/quote]

You can order this book only from his website http://www.carneymagic.com

Magixx
I too bemoan the loss of the brick and mortar magic shop. There are several problems. I don't think that the main problem is the price. I'd pay a little more to buy at a brick and mortar shop. After all, you will get all sorts of personal advice there and that is priceless.

I think that inventory is killing the brick and mortar shops. A web site can 'carry' a massive inventory without having to buy any of it up front. I can tell you for a fact that this intrigues me.

Online I go first to MJMmagic. I do this without fail. I've known Jeff for several years, from back before he started his site, and I know him to be honest. This means a lot to me when I am essentially buying 'mail order'.

Of course the 10% discount is nice but it really isn't enough to tear me away from the brick and mortar.

Jeff's response to all my orders from him have so far been perfect and fast. No mistakes at all.

What more can you ask for?
I use a mix of online and actual shops. When I was in Portland, Oregon, I liked to go to Callins Magic Shop (now closed) and also to Magic Fest (still open!). Both were very good and the people there would spend time showing you the latest and greatest as well as get you started learning the new stuff you bought. Since I have moved to Rochester, NY, I'm having trouble finding a local magic shop. I travel to Toronto, ON occasionally, and when I am there, I try to go to Browser's Den (A great Shop!). When shopping online, I prefer (in no particular order) the magic warehouse, Hocus-Pocus, Magicbox UK (they have the green cards I like to use), the trickery, and Tannens. I have also been ordering things from some of the magic craftsmen/creators I have learned about here on the Café, and have been very happy with those results: Leather products from the ambitiouscard.com, Custom cards from cardsbymartin, an effect from master of illusions, and some things from Lee Asher. I've been very happy with those purchases. ... I also have to admit that I am a recovering patron of penguinmagic. I was shocked when I discovered what they appear to be doing in terms of ripping people-off. I agree with the comments above in that the penguin site is alluring, but shallow, apparently questionable in ethics, and the message board can't hold a candle to the Café.

Chris
I am in the same boat with you guys as far as penguin goes. I bought one item and that's the last one I will buy. I live in az and as far as I know there aren't any brick and mortar shops near my house... anyone know of any magic shops in arizona? (theres not any in my fone book)
I buy most of my tricks from Hank Lee's Magic Factory, but I get most of my books off of Amazon(When possible)
The place I usually shop at is [url=http://www.perfectmagic.com]Perfect Magic[/url] .

Have a good day!

Louis
Rik, I forgot to mention that point as well. Being a smaller magic shop we were definitely not always able to keep or get the latest and greatest and keep it in stock consistently. With all the new items on the market everyday you just can't keep up!

My advise for those of you who don't have a real live touchable magic shop to go to is to purchase items from those shops that have websites as well. There are many great magic business out there that will provide you great customer service, prices, and advise. This will help keep them going for those of us who have the privilege of being able to visit them in person. I wouldn't be here (not in front of my computer, but in magic) without Tony's Trick and Joke Shop in Victoria, a real live magic shop!

Cheers,

Cameron Fisk
Any good shops in the los angeles area? the only one I know of is the hollywood magic shop on hollywood. not even sure if it is still open
Haha today I went to barnes and noble and found like 4 magic books there... needless to say I am still waiting to buy somewhere other than there great selection.
In AZ try Williams Magic in Tucson--real store, online shopping AND you can call on the phone and actually speak with one of the owners!
When you buy from a shop you get the help of the magician there. He can answer your questions and help in your decision making. Each time you return he will get to know you better and be there to help. He will be able to recommend what to purchase next and why to make that purchase. He will have a wealth of information that you will not be able to get from an internet site.
On the other hand, you do save money buying from the a web based store.
Hi,

I'm pretty new too. I found a decent and cool looking Magic Shop that I go to that sell a lot of David Blaine tricks and got me started into magic:

http://www.MagicDojo.com
http://www.MagicShop.TV

They also have some Free Demo Video Clips and a Chat Forum to join.
I've purchased from MagicProShop.com, PenguinMagic.com, DennyMagic.com, and TheMagicWarehouse.com. I've also bought some used stuff on eBay, and directly from magicians on their sites. Never had any problems from anybody.

-Dave
Hey everyone,
I have to admit there are some wonderful places out there, but one place that I have constantly dealt with is MadhatterMagicshop.com. The owners take care of you and get your products out with a quickness. So far as I've looked around they have the best prices and some of the lowest on DVD's and such. I've dealt with them so long I feel like family there. Everyone there is really great to deal with and very very knowledgable about any subject you need guidance in. I don't think I'll shop any where else.
Tuscon is not close too my house. anyone know any places in phoenix?
:bluebikes: Personally I prefer to shop at "brick and mortar" establishments but whenever necessary because of unavailability of certain procts or books, I occassionally use the mailorder companies. I am blessed with 2 magic shops in my home town and I frequently travel to Daytona Beach and visit Harry Allen's and Irv Cook's wonderful magic emporium on South Beach Street. I have done business with The Magic Warehouse, Hank Lee, Penguin, in the past but I love to browse around in a magic shop and share the comraderie between fellow lovers of legerdemain; and most of all you are able to see new effects performed before purchase. If you visit Central Florida your trip is incomplete if you don't visit The Daytona Magic Shop. They sponsor a yearly magic extravaganza that is a sellout each year and they always have the best in magic entertainment, seminars, and contests over the span of a weekend in November (Friday thru Sunday).
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>>
When I started I used Magictricks.co.uk religiousley, a brilliant website with almost always (well for me) next day delivery. Also Ellusionist.com. Ill give any website a chance when looking for tricks/videos/books etc. but old faithfull has to be magictricks.co.uk
Hmmm it seems like I am in the "negative magic" capital of the world. hah I geuss ill just hafta shop online. I'm likin that mjm magic. but I might go with ebay. dunno yet. thanx.
Does anyone know of a good magic shop in Denver?
[quote]hah I geuss ill just hafta shop online. I'm likin that mjm magic. but I might go with ebay. dunno yet. thanx.[/quote]

Well, I like ya too. ::smile:: We're really a friendly bunch at MJM, and more than happy to help you out.
I definetly say go with mjmmagic because their prices are awesomely low and you can get a %10 disount after your first purchase on eevrything :D also they have TONS of products and free shipping :D check it out http://www.mjmmagic.com
I also use magictricks.co.uk and find them very helpful. however for specific effects I usually just ask here where the best place is to get that effect. this usually results in more than 1 suggestion and I then just pick the best/cheapest (some websites are so poorly put together I refuse to buy from them).
Penguinmagic.com is good for instance down loads. I love elmwoodmagic.com I buy from them a lot.
I like the instant downloads from penguin, or I did when I shopped there a few years ago. mjmmagic also has instant downloads.

I'm getting the impression that these instant downloads are like lecture notes. Still, they are pricey. Spend $10 and get a trick. Spend $30 and get a DVD with 20 tricks. So with the ID you get $10 per trick and with the DVD you get 66 cents per trick - n'est pa?

Think of books instead of DVD's and it gets even worse.

So I stopped buying instant downloads. I figure it's just not worth it.
[quote]
On 2005-08-05 08:45, rikbrooks wrote:
I'm getting the impression that these instant downloads are like lecture notes. Still, they are pricey. Spend $10 and get a trick. Spend $30 and get a DVD with 20 tricks. So with the ID you get $10 per trick and with the DVD you get 66 cents per trick - n'est pa?

Think of books instead of DVD's and it gets even worse.

So I stopped buying instant downloads. I figure it's just not worth it.
[/quote]

You're right. Mostly, those instant downloads are variations (sometimes not even that!) of old standards that you can find in many magic books. They're there for the "instant gratification" factor. They do work out really expensive.
[quote]
On 2005-08-03 16:59, NCR wrote:
Does anyone know of a good magic shop in Denver?
[/quote]

I'm in Boulder, and sadly don't know of any good magic shops around. There's one shop called Ned's Mile High Magic & More in Lakewood (phone number is: (303) 233-4280), but I haven't had very good luck with them the last few times I've gone in (plus, they're pretty far away from me). Let me know if you find anything, I'd definitely like to support a local shop.

Anyway, I've mainly been ordering stuff from ellusionist.com, expertmagic.com, and williamsmagic.com. The last one has just about anything you'll ever want, especially in terms of books and videos. Both ellusionist and expertmagic have good previews of almost all their tricks, as well as forums to help you out after you get something.
Hello,

I am in Portland, OR and I have gone to MagicFest numerous times. Mark is really cool...plus doing local and international shows keeps him busy enough to always have the inside track on magic as an art. Just thought I'd share.

:bigdance:

- shawn

[quote]
On 2005-08-01 11:20, Magical_Mystifier wrote:
I use a mix of online and actual shops. When I was in Portland, Oregon, I liked to go to Callins Magic Shop (now closed) and also to Magic Fest (still open!). Both were very good and the people there would spend time showing you the latest and greatest as well as get you started learning the new stuff you bought. <<MESSAGE EDITED>>

Chris
[/quote]
I love to visit my local magic shop, although in the recent years it has really declined in terms of product. Seems that most kids around the neighborhood have gotten interested in magic from the likes of David Blaine and just want gimmicks that require no practice (or little) to master.

I still love to go and hang out there.
I shop from magic whare house, Tannens(though not one of my favorites for online buying but there actual store is not bad), ellusionist, trickery, and misdirection.com

the above are some great sites and stores.
I strongly recommend Bazar de Magia for Latin Americas magicians (www.bazardemagia.com). Good prices and great services. Surely the best magic shop in Latin America.
Brick and Mortar as much as possible.
I still have never bought anything on the internet. It's so much fun to touch things. From bookstores, to magic shops, to candy stores. I'm old fashioned, though.
Penguin Magic and ellusionist
I shop both on the internet and at brick and mortar shops. Internet sites that I've bought magic from the most are dennymagic.com and llpub.com. Great Scott Illusions and the Vanishing Rabbit are two brick and mortar shops that I support. I've had great experiences at both shops.
I agree that we should support our Brick and Mortar shops, but there are none within 3 hours of me. In addition to the usual (Hank Lee, Hocus Pocus etc.) I buy virtually all my books from a longtime friend in Middleburg Heights, Ohio -
Ed Verba, Magic Old and New everba@wideopenwest.com. He has nearly everything in print and discounts all. Also has a fine used prop etc. list several times a year.
Try it, you'll like it. Keith
Hi guys! Good to see you!

In defense of Penguin (no, I'm not PAID for this, LOL) I must say they have done for me what NO magic shop has EVER done for me, let alone any OTHER business...and if you are in SALES, this is how to win a customer!

I bought Jay Sankey's 3-Ring Circus awhile back from one of those "Mall Kiosks" selling Magic. I dropped the gaff, and it LITERALLY diappeared. I never found it. When I posted that on the Café, Maxwell (of Penguin) PM'ed me and offered to replace the set, FREE OF CHARGE! The entire SET, not just the gaff, minus the DVD, arrived in less than THREE DAYS, and did not cost me a cent, not even shipping! They replaced my set, even though I did not buy it from them!

Needless to say, they are at the top of my list to this day. Brilliant way to win over a new customer, as I have bought from them MANY times since. I'm not going to judge ethics in magic, because there are too many variables, and I am not qualified to state right from wrong in the magic industry. I'll leave that to the experts! I just say, "Long live Penguin Magic"!

Doug
I buy from Davenports in London, because of the very friendly atmosphere and the service.

http://www.davenportsmagic.co.uk is their website, but in person is much more fun.
[quote]
On 2005-08-01 09:31, mikerobinson wrote:
Penguin Magic - well, I did used to purchase my magic from that magic dealer, as their prices are always cheap, they have a demo vid for almost each product they sell, they offer free instructional videos with almost each product you purchase, as well as, what they call, Penguins Only private forums that only people that purchased the product in regards have access to, for the purpose to discuss the product they have purchased. However, I am truly being honest, I have eliminated my business with Penguin Magic, just a few months ago, for the reason already mentioned above. Their message boards are full of thirteen year olds that do nothing but insult other people and make pointless posts, and not only - not only their message boards, but they are unethical to the art. They sell products (Magic Makers) that are knock-offs of other magicians, they sell another magicians' magic that they have no permision of selling in the first place, and yes, indeed, as already mentioned, they sell someone else's creation and claim it to be their own; I.e. Michael Skinner's 3CM has changed to [i]The Penguin Monte[/i].

The thread subject is not for this magic dealer, but I did have the need to spit it all out and exlain the reason as to why I don't purchase my magic anymore from that magic dealer.

Mike.
[/quote]
I agree with you and others on penguin. My best magic dealer experiences are the brick and mortar magic shops, Larry Kahlow that is. But when they don't have what I need I usually go to any where but penguin becuase of their unethical behaviour and immature message boards. The best online dealer I have ordered from was Bill Palmer. Though if your not looking for Cups and Balls or Unusual Magic you might want to try hocus-pocus. But please check with your local magic shops first, its just a little extra money to pay and you get those valuable reccomenddations and real reveiws that aren't avaible in online stores.
Personally I love http://www.themagicwarehouse.com they are cheap, quick, and great! I normally buy used now from the Café, so that's almost all of what I get.
In the D.C. area we have Barry's which is a great place to go to. Bought my first thumb tip and Barry made me try on different sizes until we nailed the right one. Asked his opinion about a video and he was dead on about it. The man knows his magic and his business. He askes questions and steers you to the appropriate purchase. I bought some CDs from Penguin Magic and frankly thought their customer service was first rate, fast response, same day shipping, well run business. But to be honest I'd rather spend a few more bucks and get it at Barry's. But I not all that price sensitive a shopper, I like service and product knowledge, especially for new people being guided by a store owner will keep you from making some silly mistakes.

As for intellectual property there are ways to protect it and it behooves magicians to learn about copyrights and patents. A copyright costs you 30.00 and a stamp patents are no bargin but you have to judge your future earnings to see if it's worthwhile. I shut down pirates on ebay who were trying to sell my software with my copyright, even got their precious paypal accounts shut down.
European branch of Penguin magic because of free shipping and low prices.
In addition to the places mentioned above, I've had some good experience with
http://www.elmagicshop.com/

I also try to get over to http://www.funtymemagic.com/shop/ when I can as their brick and mortar shop is only about an hour from my abode.

Regards,
My preferences are:
Tannen's Magic Supply http://www.tannens.com
Steven's Magic Emproium http://www.stevensmagic.com/
Hank Lee's Magic Factory http://www.magicfact.com/

All of these are brick and mortor shops with an internet presence.
Plus the fact that they all carry my effect.
Done most of my shopping at http://www.magicproshop.com plain amazing, fast, friendly and they do put up with my never ending inquiries and questions...and lately I did some shopping at http://www.hocus-pocus.com two thumbs up

fast delivery (both), GREAT customer service (both), only downside to magicproshop is that they don't have much variety (but all you have to do is email peter and ask for it and he would help out!) so on a scale of 10, magicproshop it's 9.9 hocus-pocus 10!
I ordered from mjm and got a free tt. I geuss I gotta get tt dvd lol. great site two thumbs up thanx for referring me to them guys!
I was very happy with a recent transaction at MJM magic too. Jeff was more than willing to match another company's price. His teaching video for the trick (Color Monte) was extremely helpful too.
Even though I live in Washington, I have to say the week I spent in Tucsan AZ was spent mostly at Williams Magic. I loved it, they were really helpfull and freindly. I would recommend anyone going through that area to stop by.

It was funny my wife and I saved up $1500 each for our trip and I spent $1000 of mine right there. It was the best entertainment I have had in a long time and worth the price of admission (So to speak). needless to say I havn't had to buy much magic stuff since that trip 2 years ago.
I shop at brick and mortars unless a product is only available from the creator or as an exclusive with only one seller (e.g., with Hocus Pocus). There are still some great stores that are worth the trip: Mr. Magic in Little Rock, Williams Magic in Tucson, and Misdirections in San Francisco. If you only shop internet, you really should visit a good brick and mortar to see what you are missing. Many shops are the hub of the magic community in their city and also sponsor clubs that provide shows, meetings, and lectures.

K
I need a brick and mortar shop in phoenix
I enjoy visiting and buying from a brick and mortar shop. I have also made purchases from online retailers and ebay.
Isn't Bert Easleys shop still in Phoenix ? I went there as a kid, in fact Bert was my first magic teacher.I am considering opening a MagicFest in Phoenix. I will keep you posted.
Mark Benthimer
In addition to others already mentioned, I'll second the good press for http://www.elmagicshop.com -- really happy with their service!

Another place I've had a couple good experiences with: http://www.madhattermagicshop.com.

Mike
I think we owe it to the "Brick and Mortar" shops to try and keep them alive and well. We will all miss them if we force them out of business by trying to "save" $3 on a $20 effect. A magic shop is a tough way to make a living in most communities. A number of the on-line shops are interested in nothing more than your money. They could care less about magic.

Extending a brick and mortar business through using the internet is a great and noble thing for everyone.... just understand the difference between those that want to promote our craft, and those that want to maximize their revenue at our expense.

I go out of my way to ask my local shop (Mr. G's, Orange Park, Florida) to order things I want. Most of the time, they have no problem doing that. I don't mind paying more than I would if I purchased it on line, because I know what I learn from my magic dealer is invaluable.
I think we owe it to the "Brick and Mortar" shops to try and keep them alive and well. We will all miss them if we force them out of business by trying to "save" $3 on a $20 effect. A magic shop is a tough way to make a living in most communities. A number of the on-line shops are interested in nothing more than your money. They could care less about magic.

Extending a brick and mortar business through using the internet is a great and noble thing for everyone.... just understand the difference between those that want to promote our craft, and those that want to maximize their revenue at our expense.

I go out of my way to ask my local shop (Mr. G's, Orange Park, Florida) to order things I want. Most of the time, they have no problem doing that. I don't mind paying more than I would if I purchased it on line, because I know what I learn from my magic dealer is invaluable.
The Trickery
Elmwood.... (I believe is located in rochester, someone in an earlier post said they traveled to canada and they lived in rochester)
Ebay gets a lot of my business.... Check the feedback and do your homework I have had some good buys from Ebay.
I try to build all my Illusions myself
I like to support my local magic shops. I live in the Milwaukeee areas so it would be Theophilus in Milwaukee, the Joke shop in Waukesha, Wisconsin. I'll also go down to the Midwest's biggest shop - Midwest Magic in Franklin Park Illinois. When I am at conventions I always like to check out Bob Little's table and Mr. Wong's House of Magic from Iowa. Whenever I am in a different town I aways like to check out the local shops. Eagle in Minnesota, Misdirections in San Francisco, Al's in D.C..
I purchase pretty much only online and have purchased from MJM, Hocus Pocus, MyMagic.com, Ellusionist, Hank Lee and Penguin... (as well as some smaller shops).

I've changed most of my purchases over to MJM simply because Jeff was very helpful and contacted me personally.

Steve
Glad to hear you've had good dealings with the madhatter shop. I've been driven "mad" with my first shopping experience with them. I went there based on your positive feedback, but I will NOT go there again.

I had placed an order on Wed, Oct 19th. My order did not SHIP out until, Wed, Oct 27th! One whole week later! What's the reason you ask? In the shop owners words, "we are a small business, so we don't have the personnel to handle orders as quickly. Also, this is a busy holiday season, so we can't get to everyone's shipments."

Isn't that unbelievable?! What kind of excuse is that for delaying a customer's shipment because of the size of your business!

To add salt to injury, the madhatter CHARGES A HANDLING FEE on top of the Priority Shipment costs! I've done business with shops who charges NO shipping fees or handling fees and I've received my orders faster than the time this madhatter decided to ship my order.

Sorry guys and gals for the rant. Mine might be an isolated incident, but I thought others might know of my experience.

Here's their Shipping and Returns policy as found on their website:
http://www.madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/shipping.php?osCsid=b32a512ccf07a9b6d033b7ee05300657

"Shipping: All orders* will be shipped out the next business day using USPS (US Postal Service) PRIORITY MAIL unless otherwise requested. Shipping rates are calculated using this Shipping Rate Table. We also add a $2.00 Shipping & Handling fee per order."

On their home page http://madhattermagicshop.com/ states in bright blue "FAST SHIPPING."

Good luck if you guys try this madhatter shop. I've had success with MagicProShop, themagicwarehouse, penguin, and Meir Yedid's mymagic.com for DVD's and videos, and also from some of you here that sell your unused magic.
Sorry to add to this, but I wanted to clarify a couple of things about my earlier post and give you an update.

First of all, my order was placed on the Wed., the 19th, and shipment went out Wed., the 26th--not Wed., the 27th (right day, but wrong date). Secondly, when I stated "in the shop owners words,..." That is not his exact quotation, more of paraphrasing him. He did say, "we do not have the personnel to work the phones on short delays. Everyone wants it fast and cheap. The only way to do that is to keep payroll down. More workers higher costs."

Here's an excerpt from a recent email to me, "Your order shipped on the fifth business day after you placed it. Let's be fair about this. October is a busy month for many retailers in this business."

I'm not trying to dissuade you from shopping at madhatter, but sharing my dissatsifaction with their inconsistent shipping policy clearly stating, "All orders will be shipped out the next business day," and not fulfilling that promise to me, yet charging me for shipping and a handling fee.
Yet another update...Things have been settled satsifactorily. Bill, has graciously offered a refund of the shipping and handling fee. Sorry for the multiple posts. I know many of you have had numerous successful dealings with Bill at the madhatter, and I can now understand. Without this misunderstanding, he seems to be a fair, easy-going guy who does try to do the best for his customers. I have reconsidered and would like to do business with them again and give it another shot.
I like to visit magic shops, so I try to spend as much as possible in Brick and Mortars. Some of the folks that run these shops are more than helpful.
Peace,
Parson

BTW Julie, I love Williams Magic.
Went to Gatlinburg, Tn for Thanksgiving, and saw [url=http://www.precisionmagic.com/About%20Us.htm]THIS[/url] magic store right there on the main strip......
I support Denny Haney's, 'Denny & Lee Magic Studio' in Baltimore, MD. Even when I'm away like I am now- still my business goes to Denny. Whenever I'm home- always make it a point to go down and see him...

support the real magic shops.

best regards,
Matt Tomasko